GPU memory allocation limit on Directx9/Windows 8 - by Brzeg

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 4/20/2015 6:20:02 AM

1. Desctiption:
All DirectX 9.0c/x64 desktop applications can't allocate more GPU memory than 4GB on Windows 8.1. Even if GPU have 12GB.
On Windows 7 it runs ok and correctly allocates 7GB for example.

2. How to reproduce:
I call D3DXCreateTextureFromFile() of D3DXCreateTexture() and I get error code:
D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY when GUP memory alocatewd is about 4GB.
Expected result is to allocate about 12 BG for textures.

3. Tips
- I have 32 GB system ram so the RAM is not the issue
Posted by Diana_TES_GotH on 5/5/2017 at 12:55 PM
It is outrageous that this issue has still not been addressed. Windows 10 has been forced upon the majority of users. While the users are encouraged to give feedback for the issues we encounter, it appears Microsoft doesn't much care to resolve the problems it has created. Shame on Microsoft for ignoring us.
Posted by Sir Outlander on 5/5/2017 at 12:39 AM
This bug is untuched since a 2 years!!
The only solution is to return to Windows 7
Posted by JJ_2 on 11/5/2016 at 8:19 AM
And another comment.

I have the same issues and I have a 8 GB VRam. I have Windows 10 and I payed for this s*** and now I want solutions no excuses. This bug is untuched since a half year !!!
Start to work !
Posted by JJ_2 on 11/5/2016 at 8:18 AM
And another comment.

Start to work !
Posted by MadManAce on 4/9/2016 at 12:06 PM
It’s been over a year since this ticket was opened and still no resolution. My favorite games are nearly unplayable now that I “upgraded” to windows 10. My computer specs should easily handle games like Skyrim, yet they played MUCH BETTER on my old computer. PLEASE FIX DIRECT X 9!!!!

Tool in the following link highlights the limitation. For more information, contact Boris on that same website. He is the developer of the ENB used by thousands of gamers. http://enbdev.com/download_vramsizetest.htm

NEW PC

Intel Core i7-920 CPU @ 2.66GHz OC @ 3.40GHz
8GB CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 1600
Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5 Core Clock 1040 MHz
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
Toshiba 2TB HHD Desktop

Posted by Sundder on 2/22/2016 at 10:04 AM
I'd also like to add that I'm on the Fast Ring of the Windows 10 Insider Program and none of the builds since I started testing for available VRAM in September have shown more that 4064 MB on my current build.
Posted by Sundder on 2/22/2016 at 9:59 AM
I'd also like to report that I have this issue on Windows 10 using a machine with 32GB of DDR4 and a GTX 980 ti (6GB of VRAM). Available memory for textures in DirectX 9.0c apps is reported as 4064MB, whereas the expected amount was in excess of 10GB. An alternative computer I owned with Windows 7 and 8GB of DDR2 and a GTX 560 ti reported VRAM in excess of 10GB (this was dismantled and rebuilt into my current build...imagine my surprise). The issue was not reproduced using Brzeg's method, but was confirmed using Boris Vorontsov's VRamSizeTest tool, as well as VRAM monitoring software.

HarperZ9, if you don't mind pointing us to that petition, I'd be more than willing to add my name to the list of those who'd very much appreciate a fix for this issue.
Posted by HarperZ9 on 2/18/2016 at 4:49 PM
I can attest to this being true as well. I submitted this exact issue to Windows support about a month ago, and they acknowledged the issue, but said that "the best way to handle it" would be to submit to the feedback page on Windows 10. So I did. And nothing seems to be changing, as it is a quick fix. Reapply the script that was working for Windows to allow the correct memory allocation back into Windows 8 and 10. I have a 4064 Mb virtual memory limitation for DX9, even though my correct virtual memory exceeds 20,000 Mb. So I am fairly disheartened at the way Microsoft has handled this issue so far, or lack thereof. It's beginning to become a bit of a joke at this point. Tell your supervisors to raise a flag about listening to this feedback. Get this into the hands of a coder so the issues can be resolved, please and thank you. I do not need Dipak Krishna to respond from Windows again asking if I "ran the prpgram in compatibility mode" or tried restarting my computer, as those are very cliche responses to a detailed and very specific issue. Let a coder know what the problem is please, so we can resolve this without future issues. I made a petition, and am gathering signers currently on the issue. But I feel as though respecting the feedback already given would be a better solution than to wait for a huge number of customers to report the issue until you are willing to fix it. Thank you, and have a good day.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/5/2015 at 11:33 AM
Hi,

We have determined that this bug belongs to the Windows Platform team and we have transferred this bug to their database. Per their request, we will close this bug and they will contact you directly if they need further information.

We appreciate you taking the time to submit this issue.

Meredith Magnusson
Visual Studio
Posted by Brzeg on 4/23/2015 at 2:35 AM
On Windows 10 technical preview the issue exists too.
Posted by Brzeg on 4/22/2015 at 8:29 AM
I uploaded test source project build on VisualStudio 2015.
In subfolder x64\Release you can find buid executable for test.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/20/2015 at 8:34 PM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio and .NET Framework. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a demo project so that we can conduct further research?

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information. If you require immediate assistance with this issue, please contact product support at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1117.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/20/2015 at 7:03 AM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If you require immediate assistance with this issue, please contact product support at http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1117.