Installation fail due to team explorer component - by Björn Blissing

ID 2025362 Comments
Status Active Workarounds
Opened 11/16/2015 3:41:19 PM

I have struggeled for over a month with trying to install Visual Studio 2015. At first I tried the MSDN forums for help, but go nowhere. I finally resorted to format my system drive and reinstall the operating system (Windows 10). Then I got it to work, for some time. Then suddenly it was broken again. Neither repair nor uninstall/install helps. I still get the same error during installation, i.e. fatal error during install of team explorer.

Other users on the MSDN forum seem to have the exact same problem. No solution, other than reinstall the OS seems to help.
Could someone try to fix this? Or at least make the team explorer component optional?
Posted by Björn Blissing on 11/30/2015 at 1:20 PM
I have finally solved it. I used the same debug process as in the stackoverflow post.

But in my case it was msvcp140.dll that was installed as a 64bit version in the Windows/SysWOW64 folder. Just uninstalling the redistributables did not remove the file, so I had to delete it manually. Then I was able to install the x86 redistributables again, which installed a correct version of the dll file. And, voilà, the installation of VS2015 finished without errors.

So there is so many strange things happening here:
1. Why there suddenly are 64bit versions of redistributable dlls in the SysWOW64 folder?
2. Why uninstalling the redistributables DO NOT remove all applicable dlls?
Posted by fan20 on 11/26/2015 at 10:37 PM
You can check the following sollution:
.../questions/33855177/multiple-errors-installing-visual-studio-2015-community-edition/33881460#33881460
instead of "..." put stackoverflow site.
Look like in visual studio are mixed some redistributable components.
Posted by fan20 on 11/26/2015 at 10:32 PM
You can check the following sollution:

Look like in visual studio are mixed some redistributable components.
Posted by fan20 on 11/26/2015 at 10:29 PM
You can check the following sollution:

Look like in visual studio are mixed some redistributable components.
Posted by Björn Blissing on 11/18/2015 at 3:44 AM
I have tried running:
sfc /scannow

No errors found.

I have also tried:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

The reboot, but installer still fails with Team Explorer Component.
Posted by Björn Blissing on 11/17/2015 at 10:30 AM
I have also attached two files containing a separate installation attempt. This time I ran the installation and had ProcessMonitor running. Both the VSLOGS and PMLOG is attached.
I have cut the PMLOG to only contain the information during the installation of the Team Explorer Component.

It is hard for me to see any specific error. But there are a couple of PATH NOT FOUND and NAME NOT FOUND that happens between timestamp 12:41:42:463 and 12:41:47:476 which probably are the offender.
Posted by Björn Blissing on 11/17/2015 at 3:24 AM
I have performed an install (which fails) using the Visual Studio 2015 iso file. I have verified that the SHA value is correct. Disabled my antivirus and firewall. And I am installing as administator user. The computer is running Windows 10 x64 install.

Logs can be found here:
Posted by Microsoft on 11/16/2015 at 8:19 PM
Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue. In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with:
a setup log file

You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. <http://aka.ms/vscollect>
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/16/2015 at 5:03 PM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If you require immediate assistance with this issue, please contact product support at http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=15825.