The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it - by softer

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 12/15/2006 7:04:06 AM

When I am trying to install VS2005 SP1 RTM over SP1 Beta, on a 2k3 R2 Ent Machine I get  this error in a popup dialog:
"The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it"

The setup exists. I don't know what to do furthermore.

See the log file content on the actual results
Posted by bg0 on 12/7/2007 at 1:19 PM
I had the same error (The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it) when I tried to install SP4 for ArcGIS Server.
This helped me to resolve the issue:
Hope it will help someone.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/8/2007 at 3:55 PM
Hello softer1,

You should not need to start vs2005 once before SP1 can install, but it is possible that with the Beta of SP1 installed you corrupted some state that was fixed at launch. Generally, you should completely uninstall SP1 Beta before installing the full SP1. For additional SP1 related help and questions. Please see heath stewart's blog entries: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/tags/VS+2005+SP1/default.aspx

Regards,
Keen Browne
Program Manager
Visual Studio
Posted by rlasker3 on 12/18/2006 at 9:48 AM
I had this issue. When I looked in the event log I found this:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    MsiInstaller
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    1008
Date:        12/18/2006
Time:        12:18:31 PM

Description:
The installation of C:\DOCUME~1\...\LOCALS~1\Temp\ZNWA0\VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU.msp is not permitted due to an error in software restriction policy processing. The object cannot be trusted.

I followed the instructions at this link:

And it no longer gave me the error descibed above.
Posted by Chris Lux on 12/18/2006 at 4:00 AM
i am on a windows xp x64 sp1 with visual studio 2005 (without sp1 beta) and also have this problem. unistall and reinstall of vs2005 did not help.
Posted by Sami Kuhmonen on 12/18/2006 at 3:23 AM
Just remove the SP1 beta (Add/Remove Programs, check Show Updates) and it'll install just fine.
Posted by Jason K on 12/17/2006 at 10:25 PM
I had the same problem. I had to completely uninstall vs and reinstall it. After that the service pack installed fine. Not the best solution but I hope it helps someone.