ClickOnce setup.exe bug – empty error message - by Eli Gazit

External<br /><br />
		This item may be valid but belongs to an external system out of the direct control of this product team.<br /><br />

Opened 10/25/2007 2:48:25 AM

On some installed VS2005, when publish an application, the setup.exe file gives an empty error message when trying to run it. The .application file works fine.
The same application published from another computer, works with the setup.exe.
Posted by YuriK111 on 11/17/2008 at 9:01 AM
Same problem with VS 2008. Situation described in http://www.villelink.com/?p=5 does not apply to me.
I have PC with XP SP3 totally dedicated to development - no other software installed
Posted by lil_oe on 7/28/2008 at 3:22 PM
I have the same problem. My setup.exe file is 320kb but I don't have either of the programs mentioned in the villelink.com blog.
Posted by ndjustin2007 on 3/13/2008 at 6:34 AM
I had this same issue and was able to solve it. I have a detailed explaination of the error and the resolution here:

Posted by Avery Simonsen on 1/4/2008 at 6:15 AM
I am on a fully updated windows machine with a fully updated internet explorer and a fully updated visual studio. This problem is not solved in anything pushed by windows update.
Posted by Eli Gazit on 11/13/2007 at 4:41 AM
Please re-open this bug, this is not related to IE.
Posted by Eli Gazit on 10/25/2007 at 4:13 PM
But I'm working on IE 7.0, so what should I do?
Are you sure this is the bug? Because I'm getting an empty messagebox, not a message ""Your Current security settings do not allow this... ".
What is the relation to IE? publish from VS2005 interact with the IE before creating the setup.exe file?
Posted by Mike [MSFT] on 10/25/2007 at 11:09 AM
Most likely, the issue you are seeing is an Internet Explorer issue. On some older versions of Internet Explorer (we have seen this on a base install of Windows XP), you get this behavior when the security settings are set to "High". The issue has been resolved on later versions of Internet Explorer (in which case you get a different dialog along the lines of "Your Current security settings do not allow this file     to be downloaded"). I think this may also be fixed in some IE 6 service packs.

-- Mike Wade
Visual Basic .NET
Posted by Eli Gazit on 10/25/2007 at 3:18 AM
The bug occured for any publish action:
1. open VS2005.
2. Create a new C# windows forms project.
3. Go to the publish screen and click 'publish'.
This occures only on some computers, not all of them - I'm not sure you can re-produce it.
I've attached on the original post the setup.exe file that was created with the steps I described above, check it also.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/25/2007 at 3:03 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. It may help if you provide us with more information about this issue:

1.More detailed steps which can reproduce the issue. For example,
1.Create a new C# windows application
2.Sign the ClickOnce manifest
3.Publish the project
4.More...
2.A sample project which can reproduce the issue
3.The visual Studio and OS environment information.

If we do not receive a response from you after 7-days, we will automatically close your issue. There is no obligation to respond -- at any time you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 10/25/2007 at 2:57 AM
Thank you for your feedback. We are currently investigating. The investigation process normally takes 7-14 days. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly (see http://support.microsoft.com).

If at any time your issue is closed unsatisfactorily, you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team