Provide Silverlight version for x64 by Konstantin Kosinsky

as External Help for as External

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 7/14/2008 2:22:37 PM

Provide Silverlight for x64 version of browsers.
Posted by BORIL on 10/10/2010 at 4:52 AM
I cann't beleave that microsoft haven't release x64 of silverlight until now.
I just discover today this.
Very disapointted I told that Adobe are progress stopper, but they now have x64 flash, which is running considerably stable under my IE 9 x64.
Posted by Jaroslav Smid on 9/20/2010 at 2:23 AM
Closed as WONTFIX? WTF? Even Novell was able to provide x64 version of Moonlight for Linux few _years_ ago, why couldn't you do it now? Well, it doesn't matter. No one but you is using silverlight anyway and I won't use 32bit browser just because I can't watch some cool silverlight stuff. I will rather watch it in 64bit pre-release version of flash somewhere else or I won't watch it. Running 32bit applications is damaging my EGO.
Posted by gigaherz on 9/15/2010 at 5:09 PM
Adobe has a pre-release version of Flash for x64 machines, including windows.
at: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

With java and flash for x64, Silverlight is the last of the "plugins" I use that's missing x64 support.
Posted by Dusteater on 8/29/2010 at 5:00 PM
I agree with everyone else, this should be a high priority. I don't understand how we have had 64 bit IE for years and years and yet no 64 bit Silverlight.

I disagree though with jjose, I really am doubting we will ever see 64 bit Flash player for IE. But still, this is a big way to push Silverlight ahead as the media platform of choice, supporting a 64 bit environment where Adobe does not.
Posted by Jamel Ahmed on 11/18/2009 at 1:21 PM
any intetion to bring x64 with the debut of silverlight 4 beta :(
Posted by Juanjose on 11/16/2009 at 8:30 AM
Due Microsoft plans for x64 from Windows 7 and later it would be a nice start point in the x64 transition road. Adobe has already started to develop its flash player to x64. It would have been a nice strategy to include the installer with Office 2010 x64
Posted by Daniel Smith on 9/1/2009 at 2:37 AM
32-bit is fast aproaching end of life. This has simply got to be addressed. I really do think 2010 is going to be the year of the surge todwards 64-bit computing. Many have already made the leap, and from conversations with many people who haven't yet done so, they're planning to switch at the same time as upgrading to Windows 7.

Adding 64-bit support to Silverlight should be striaght forward. The .NET compilers already support 64-bit. And surely the Silverlight IL is marked as Any-CPU rather than tied to a specific architecture?

On a side note, it's absolutely criminal that MSFT is planning on defaulting all new projects in VS2010 to 32-bit (rather than the previous platform adaptive Any-CPU). If anyone else feels this is madness, please also vote here:

Posted by Eshva on 8/23/2009 at 11:30 AM
It must be. I'm disappointed about this mega issue!
Posted by philipwhite on 8/5/2009 at 6:36 AM
As a developer I will not use it until it supports x64. It doesn't make any sense staying in 32 bit land unless you like browsers crashing, BSODs, and viruses.
Posted by VSahni on 7/17/2009 at 5:19 PM
This should have been a priority for SL 3, please consider this as a must have in the next release. Currently, the end user experience for site visitors with x64 is unacceptable.
Posted by T.ZETTL on 6/30/2009 at 12:06 AM
This should be a high priority issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2009 at 5:21 PM
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Unfortunately, looking at our priorities we have decided that will not be able to fix this issue Silverlight 3. We are considering this for future versions of Silverlight.

I'm going to go ahead and resolve this suggestion as won't fix. If you have any questions or comments feel free to reactivate this bug.

Thanks
Andy Rivas
Silverlight
Posted by Alex Chudnovsky on 3/15/2009 at 7:33 AM
Must have feature - just was considering using it today but lack of x64 version is something I did not expect to hear...
Posted by Shadow Chaser on 3/10/2009 at 8:40 AM
This is a must have, and an area where Silverlight can have a competetive advantage over Flash.
Posted by bobgreen84 on 2/28/2012 at 11:53 PM