ExecutionEngineException with ParameterInfo.GetOptionalCustomModifiers and GetRequiredCustomModifiers on 3.5 SP1 - by Fabian Schmied

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 8/13/2008 3:03:14 AM

After installing SP1 for .NET 3.5, GetOptionalCustomModifiers and GetRequiredCustomModifiers trigger an ExecutionEngineException in the context given below. The code is verifiable, and it used to work with .NET 3.5 pre-SP1.
Posted by Doug Stewart -MSFT on 12/4/2008 at 1:46 AM
A fix is now available for this problem here:
Posted by Microsoft on 10/13/2008 at 11:43 AM
Just posting a follow-up. For those interested in the hotfix for this issue, Doug Stewart, who has been instrumental in helping us get these fixes built and out to the community, has a blog post with details on how to obtain the fix for this issue (and a couple of others). See http://blogs.msdn.com/dougste/archive/2008/10/07/what-s-in-microsoft-net-framework-3-5-sp1.aspx for more details.

Thanks again to Fabian and the others who reported and provided details about this issue. Your contributions to both the community and our products are greatly valued.

Regards,
Jon
Posted by Fabian Schmied on 9/26/2008 at 12:22 AM
Thanks a lot for your last response - this (hotfix + Windows Update) is exactly the solution we were hoping for.

Thank you also for handling this Connect bug in a very transparent and reactive way - seems like the CLR team is making an effort to become more open towards the community. This is really appreciated! (I guess Ayende's blog post on this issue helped, but nonetheless.)

Keep the good CLR work going on!

Regards,
Fabian
Posted by David A Nelson on 9/25/2008 at 12:53 PM
Looks like there's a broken record...
Posted by Microsoft on 9/25/2008 at 11:42 AM
Fabien,

This message is going to read exactly like my response (cut/paste is handy) to the other Connect bug you filed. I hope that's a good thing, in this case.

We're also in the process of testing a hotfix for this issue. I expect it will be available within a week or so. I'll keep you posted on the status and give you the KB (knowledge base) article number and how you, and other customers, can acquire the hotfix once it's available.

Additionally we intend to include this fix in an upcoming servicing release, a roll-up of sorts, which will be released in synch with 3.5SP1 via Windows Update. I.e. when 3.5SP1 starts getting pushed out broadly, so will this fix. We’re still working out the exact timeframe for this release but our hope is before the end of the year.

Thanks again for reporting this issue and for your patience while we've been addressing these. We greatly appreciate your commitment to helping us improve the quality of our products.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/24/2008 at 4:33 PM
Fabien,

Posted by Microsoft on 9/23/2008 at 9:21 PM
Fabien,

Posted by Fabian Schmied on 8/25/2008 at 12:42 AM
Jon,

Thanks for your response - it's good to know that the feedback on 3.5 SP1 doesn't go unheard. There's probably nothing you can do in the meantime - we'll just wait.

However, while I'm at it, I want to tell you that a simple hotfix will probably not be enough to mitigate the problems caused by the service pack. We are developing an application framework, just as Ayende Rahien, whose blog post gave this bug the high attention level, is working on a development framework; for both frameworks, common scenarios have been broken by the SP. And while a hotfix would be better than the current state of affairs, it would be very difficult to have every one of our clients install a hotfix in order to be able to use our products.

So what I would be very interested in is how you plan to get the fixes around - SP 1 refresh? Windows update? Hotfixes anyway?

Best regards,
Fabian
Posted by Microsoft on 8/21/2008 at 6:55 PM
Fabian,

I just wanted to touch base with you and let you know we're actively looking into this issue. I can assure you we're giving this high priority and I'm encouraged by the progress we're making. I'll keep you posted as the investigation proceeds. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do in the meantime.

Thanks,
Jon
Posted by Stefan Wenig on 8/18/2008 at 5:39 AM
a few blogs discussing this bug and how it could be handled:
Posted by Microsoft on 8/16/2008 at 8:56 AM
Fabian,

Thank you very much for reporting this issue. I wanted to let you know that the CLR team is looking into it. We'll continue to provide status as our investigation progresses.

Kind Regards,
Jon Langdon
Program Manager
Common Language Runtime
Posted by Microsoft on 8/13/2008 at 9:08 PM
We were able to reproduce the issue you are seeing. We are escalating this bug to the product unit who works on that specific feature area. The product team will review this issue and make a decision on whether they will fix it or not for the next release