Sql Server 2008 Express integration fail on Vista64 - by tazzo

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 8/13/2008 3:40:38 PM

On VS2008 sp1 when you add new Service-based database with installed Sql Server Express on Vista 64 Sp1 you get "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251".
I ve upgrated my VS 2008 RTM to Sp1 and then uninstalled Sql Server Express 2005 and installed Sql Server Express 2008, with same procedure on XP and Vista32 all works fine but with 64 bit version of Vista Business i get error.
Posted by wilhil on 10/15/2009 at 12:40 AM
Same, It seems this is caused because 32 bit VS 2008 cannot see 64 bit SQL server. By manually installing the 32 bit version, it works fine.

This is rather annoying and really needs to be fixed! Why can using FREE VS 2008 express connect to it (I am guessing the 64 bit version) but my expensive Team Suite fails!
Posted by mdoc7 on 10/13/2009 at 11:46 AM
Sheesh
Posted by RoyAtl on 7/26/2009 at 5:02 PM
WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN FIXED!???????

SAME PROBLEM ON WINDOWS 7 (7100) 64 BIT

THIS IS TOTALLY RIDICULOUS.
Posted by Shimmy Weitzhandler on 6/24/2009 at 5:16 PM
Damn this is so annoying!!!!
Posted by Geneboss on 5/24/2009 at 3:53 PM
We have also made this fix in Dev10.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/30/2009 at 1:49 PM

I've installed Dev10, and I still get the same error! " Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly"
I get this error from Visual Web Developer 2008, Express Edition" when attempting to add new SQL Server Database Item!

Posted by Microsoft on 4/30/2009 at 1:49 PM
We have fixed this issue. A hotfix for Orcas SP1 is available here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957944

We have also made this fix in Dev10.
Posted by Guilherme Defreitas on 4/13/2009 at 4:21 AM
I got the same problem in Windows 7(build 7068), Visual Studio 2008 SP1. I try to uninstall Sql Server 2005 and install Sql Server 2008, but in the installation windows shows the message "Failed - A previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is installed on this computer. Upgrade Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 to the SP1 before installing SQL Server 2008."
Posted by Zanz38 on 3/25/2009 at 11:29 AM
HI
Before I got the error message I was running VS2008 and SQL2005 Dev Edtion without a hipcup, after I installed SP1 for VS2008 I started to get error messages advising "the file cannot be opened because it is being used by another process. please close all applications that might access this file and try again" along with "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251"after trawling through forums I decided to go ahead and install SQL2005 Express Edition SP3 now i just get "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251" when trying to add a new datasource or an existing datasource.

I am runing XP Pro SP2 32 bit Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

VS2008 Professional version 9.0.30729.1 SP
SQL2005Express SP3 32 bit
SQL2005Dev Edition
Posted by Simon Vidas on 2/23/2009 at 3:23 PM
I got the same error message.

I installed in this order:
1. Windows 7 beta 7000 x64
2. Visual Studio 2008 x64 (without SQL Server 2005)
3. Visual Studio 2008 SP1
4. SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced tools x64 (default instance "SQLEXPRESS")

It seems that this error is happening on 32-bit systems, too.
It could be that it has something to do with the parameters during the SQL Server installation...
Damn, I really wanted to work with SQL Server 2008, but it seems that I'll have to stick to version 2005.
Posted by crash1599 on 2/12/2009 at 9:49 PM
SOME DATA COMPILED HERE IS SCATE ALL OVER . SOME I SEE SOME I DONT ON THE LOWER SECTION. I GOT ONE PERSON TALKING ABOUT HE INSTALLED SQ SERVER 2008 WITH VIS STUDIO 2008 SP1. WELL IS THE PC 32 BIT OR 64 BIT ? IF IT IS 32 BIT & YOU TRY LOADING A 64BIT IT AIN"T GOING TO WORK IF IT IS A 64 BIT & THE MAIN OS IS 32 BIT IT WILL WORK JUST FINE MAY'BE A LITTLE FAST BUT MAKE SURE ALL SOFT WARE ON IT IS 32 BIT OR FACE THE BAD MUSIC
Posted by Microsoft on 2/9/2009 at 12:35 PM
Thank you for taking the time to report this issue. We are working on a solution to this and will get back to you with an update.

We do appreciate your patience and are thankful for helping us improve Visual Studio with your feedback.

Best regards,
Milind Lele
PM, Visual Studio
Posted by Ross Korsky on 1/24/2009 at 1:36 PM
Why hasn't a registry fix 'workaround' been detailed? This seams like it should be resolvable by a *.reg file and a few simple tweak this and that then merge instructions...
Posted by Abby Fichtner on 12/6/2008 at 11:52 AM
I don't understand why the workaround copy/pastes the problem. Is there a workaround? Or an ETA on a fix?
Posted by Makoto on 11/7/2008 at 8:28 AM
I am experiencing the same issue.

Running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 edition
Have VS 2008 with SP1
Downloaded and installed SQL Server 2008 Express x64 edition

I get the same error message. Is there a fix to this? Or do I have to run the 32-bit edition of SQL Server 2008 Express?
Posted by Theo Jr on 11/3/2008 at 11:22 PM
Same symptoms here...
Along with other database related problems. One is that when i add SQL Server Express (*.mdf) and SQL CE (*.sdf) files to the solution, or when i try to connect to a new data source using those file types, i get an error with the following message:
    "The data provider or database you have selected is not supported."

Vista Ultimate x86
SQL Server 2005
VS 2008 SP1
Posted by Kevin Blakeley on 10/12/2008 at 1:03 PM
I have the same issue but am not running on a 64 bit machine. Here are my specs:

Visual Studio version 9.0.30729.1 SP

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Professional - 32 Bit
Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Posted by manueljoe on 8/15/2008 at 5:55 PM
i have the same problem. but in a different environment. i never installed Sql Server 2005. i installed vs2008, sqlserver 2008 (excluding visual studio components), visual studio 2008 sp1, visual studio components of sqlserver 2008.

When i try to add a database(*.mdf) file to my project directory it throws an error

im in Windows Xp sp3 32 bit operating system.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/14/2008 at 3:50 AM
We were able to reproduce the issue you are seeing. We are escalating this bug to the product unit who works on that specific feature area. The product team will review this issue and make a decision on whether they will fix it or not for the next release.