Cannot continue. The application is improperly formatted. Contact the application vendor for assistance. - by kreativekai

Postponed<br /><br />
		Due to current priorities, the product team decided to postpone the resolution of this item.<br /><br />

Opened 9/3/2008 9:36:24 AM

From a Visual Studio 2005 Visual Basic application I published a Windows application with Crystal Reports as "Online Only" install mode.  When installing the application from the client's system the Crystal Reports installed, but the rest of the application would not install and caused the error with a message box which said: Cannot continue. The application is improperly formatted. Contact the application vendor for assistance.

I called Microsoft with one of our MSDN calls and he gave me the workaround to this bug:

From the publish screen:

Click offline application.

Click updates.

Uncheck Specify minimum required version for application

Click OK

Change back to online application.

(The Update button should be disabled.)

This worked.  This is definely a bug and the Microsoft technician agreed.  If the update button is disabled when the application is in Online Only install mode, the settings within update shouldn't even be checked.
Posted by kreativekai on 12/5/2008 at 5:00 AM
Thanks!
Posted by Saurabh [MSFT] on 12/4/2008 at 5:56 PM
The bug around "Specify minimum required version" will be fixed in the next version of Visual Studio.
For VS2008 you will have to continue to ensure that the value is not set when using an online only application.

Thank you for reporting this issue and bringing it to our attention.
Saurabh Bhatia
Program Manager
Visual Studio for Business Applications
Posted by kreativekai on 9/8/2008 at 7:34 AM
I apologize. Ignore my previous post. Since you mentioned Crystal I was thinking the bug you were talking about was a different one. The case number I listed in the previous comment was linked the bug you're working on.

This bug was related to the "Specify minimum required version" option being checked and a minimum version entered. When the technician had me switch the app to Offline, uncheck this option and go back to online mode it worked fine. I sent him all kinds of logs and he was able to reproduce the problem and asked me to log it as a bug. Can you contact him with the case I listed in the above comment.    I asked him to post a validation to this bug, but he hasn't had a chance to do it yet.
Posted by kreativekai on 9/8/2008 at 7:09 AM
Did you run it again. The issue isn't that it doesn't install correctly the first time. If you run setup.exe a second time the crystal installation will run again. Try running it a second time. I worked with a MSDN support call linked to case SRX080822600196 and the technician also reproduced the issue on his end. He asked me to log it in as a bug.
Posted by kreativekai on 9/8/2008 at 7:08 AM
Posted by Saurabh [MSFT] on 9/5/2008 at 8:00 PM
We are unable to reproduce this issue internally.
Would it be possible to send us the exact steps to reproduce the problem.
So far I have tried:
Creating a new winforms application
Selecting the online only option
Selecting Crystal reports as a pre-requisite from the pre-requisite dialog box.
Publish
Install and it works fine.

In order to understand the issue it will also be useful if you could send the log file generated due to the error.
Thank you.
Saurabh Bhatia
Program Manager
Visual Studio for Business Applications

Posted by Microsoft on 9/3/2008 at 10:36 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

We are escalating this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 9/3/2008 at 7:46 PM
Thank you for your feedback, We are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com/)