Designer Error by iAndrew

as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

Opened: 9/4/2008 1:29:42 AM

I have some issues with Visual Studio 2008 SP1

Sometimes when I try to open Form Designer clicking on form .cs file, I got a designer error:

The file '<Path>.cs' does not support code parsing or generation because it is not contained within a project that supports code.

with stacktrace:
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.CodeDomDocDataAdapter.get_Provider()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.CodeDomDocDataAdapter.get_CompileUnit()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.BasicDesignerLoader.BeginLoad(IDesignerLoaderHost host)

when I close this form, rebuild whole solution - form opens without any troubles.

What should I do in such situations?
Posted by asmcoder on 9/28/2011 at 6:30 AM
I just received this error in Visual Studio 2010 Professional Version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel. I had an good solution (sln) and project that I added a new Windows Form to. I made no changes to the form and decided to exit without saving the changes. The next time I opened the Solution it brought up the added (unsaved) form with this error.

I hope this helps find a resolution.
Posted by Bonsai_Dave on 10/28/2009 at 4:25 AM
I can reproduce this every time I try to create a new project or access an existing one in VB. Essentially I cannot use VB at all.
Posted by RobLester on 8/13/2009 at 7:24 AM
This problem mnaifests itself in Visual Studio 2008, frequently and erratically. There seems no way to fix it other than shutting down the solution and re-opening it. This kind of thing is a constant blight on the Visual Studio products and is infuriating many developers. When it's working properly this is an impressive and productive tool, but I've lost count of the man hours this has wasted over the last few years. I'd like to reiterate the view that focus should be on fixing these hideous problems rather than adding more superfluous junk to the IDE.
Posted by Noctris on 3/6/2009 at 3:25 AM
You can count me in to.. i have this issue in Visual Studio 2005 coding VB .NET. Sometimes i have to close and reopen VS up to 30 Times a day !!!

Posted by nreis-dls on 2/27/2009 at 3:03 AM
This issue also happens to me, both in Visual C# 2008 and Visual C# 2005.
To get this to work I need to constantly close and reopen the solution, but it takes me a lot of time.
Please, reopen this Issue and fix this.
Posted by F. Gsell on 2/23/2009 at 11:46 PM
Same error here with VS2008 SP1. It is so annoying to reload the solution in order to get the designer working. Please fix this ASAP!
Posted by J.Ding on 2/6/2009 at 1:14 AM
I still get this error although quite seldom. But it seems that VS2008 SP1 is not stable or consistent while processing/parsing the same winform. reopen the solution can do the trick, but i caused me 3 minutes to reload the whole project....!
Posted by dtomecko on 10/5/2008 at 8:27 AM
I have had the same problem and it goes away if I ad one empty line

after my properties that are for the disgner (see example below)

(Bad)

private IContainer components;
public MyForm()
{}

(Good)

private IContainer components;

public MyForm()
{}
Posted by Microsoft on 9/23/2008 at 1:24 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately we were unable to reproduce the bug with the scenario and steps provided.

If this issue still repros at your end, we would like to investigate it again. Please provide the exact steps/actions to reproduce the problem or preferable a repro project and we will re-investigate.

Thanks,
UIFx Team
Posted by Microsoft on 9/5/2008 at 12:24 AM
Thank you for your feedback, We are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com)

If at any time your issue is closed unsatisfactorily, you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team