Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'cl.exe' - by Stian André Olsen

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 9/8/2008 3:24:46 AM

When trying to build any kind of C++ program I get the following error message:
Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'cl.exe'

I have recently installed Visual Studio 2008 Standard with only C++. Directly after the DVD installation I installed the Visual C++ 2008 Feature Pack and the Visual Studio 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (in that order).

When searching for cl.exe on my machine I find the following occurrences:
1. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\amd64\cl.exe"
2. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\cl.exe"

The folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin" does not include cl.exe and I think this is the reason why I get this error.
Posted by gerard_odonnell on 2/17/2011 at 3:34 PM
So nobody at Microsoft has the time to fix a simple bug in the Setup? In 2.5 years nobody could find the time? Unbelievable.
Posted by emmanuelk on 6/16/2010 at 11:21 PM
I had the same error message on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit edition ("error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'cl.exe'") - I didn't change anything, but compiling for Win32 targets stopped working (!???).

I executed the Visual Studio Setup again to do a REPAIR - no effect.
I executed the Visual Studio Setup again to install C# as described above - and the problem was FIXED.

It makes no sense - but it works !!!

E.

Posted by Rastikan on 9/8/2009 at 3:55 PM
Somehow I did not have any problem installing VS2008 on some XP machine ... I believe I might not have attempted installing VS2008 SP1 on that XP machine.

On my 32bit Vista machine it just won't compile any C/C++ code.

Looking at the Tools menu, Options, Projects and Solutions, VC++ Directories, Win32 Executable files :
I noticed it is pretty much empty and missing folders to pretty much all of the tools.

When I pick another platform (e.g.: x64 ) then it seems OK, there is about 12 entries but only 2 for the WIN32 platform. I guess my workaround for now would be to copy-slightly-edit-paste into the WIN32 platform config.
Posted by rmfonseca on 5/11/2009 at 8:09 AM
I had the same problem.

Repair did NOT help.

After adding the Visual Basic and C# in the Visual Studio setup the cl.exe was successfully installed.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/28/2008 at 3:37 AM
Hi, given that we have not heard back from you in 7 days. We will go ahead and close this Connect Issue. When you are available to send us the additional details that can help us to reproduce the problem, you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 10/22/2008 at 12:00 AM
Hi

We could not reproduce this issue in our lab.
Could you please try to repair your VS via Add/Remove?
And if this issue still occurring, please provide us log files as specified in the following post: http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

Thanks,
Kylin
Posted by Microsoft on 9/10/2008 at 3:15 AM
Thanks for your feedback. We are escalating this bug to the product unit who works on that specific feature area. The team will review this issue and make a decision on whether they will fix it or not for the next release.

Visual Studio Product Team