No Property Serialization When Control is within an Editable Designer Region - by Mehul Harry

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 12/1/2008 11:33:25 AM

When a control is placed inside of an editable designer region of another control then it no longer serializes changes from the design or split view.

This a bug similar to the issue reported here:

However, the workaround for the 349998 issue only works *until* the control is inside an editable designer region.

Posted by Microsoft on 6/18/2009 at 4:09 PM
Hello

Please install the following update

Thanks
Posted by SamProsser on 5/13/2009 at 11:57 AM
!!! KB967253 has been updated/replaced with a new version. !!!
Posted by EdwinLopez on 5/6/2009 at 11:27 AM
I confirm the bug on the src screwing of the IMG tag. It's driving me nuts and making my experience really awful when working with Visual Studio 2008. I have VS 2008 SP1 on Windows XP. Never had VS been so annoying and time wasting. Please release a hot fix for this.
Posted by David A Nelson on 4/21/2009 at 7:09 PM
Microsoft does not typically respond to Community Discussion. Amy left her email address; has anyone emailed her, or left a comment on the KB page on Code Gallery (http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB967253) to make them aware of the problem with the hotfix?
Posted by Jumpseatnews on 4/21/2009 at 3:30 PM
WTF with this? Thank goodness for this board. I'm also getting those garbage IMG tags and lost hours of time trying to figure this out.

It's only when you switch from source view back to designer, and then back again.

So, which is worse: all the &nbsb; junk or the IMG tag problem?

Please.

Pretty please with sugar on top.

Get this fixed so the IMG tags don't go haywire.

We can all wait on the next version of VS until you fix the basic problems that have wasted hours of time trying to repair.

If you have questions on this bug, contact me:

Christopher Lee
jumpseatnews at gmail.com
Posted by Michael DataSoft on 4/10/2009 at 9:38 AM
Just started happening here after I uninstalled VS2005 from my computer.

Microsoft would you please resolve the current issues with your existing software before jumping into version 3020&^%$#0. We have an investment here in the current version, make it right frist before playing with the next. Developers cannot deliver buggy software to our clients and say Oh when you by the next version it will work now. Understand?
Posted by midgetgemmy on 4/7/2009 at 9:32 AM
Here's an example of what it's done.

It's changed image src from ../../Image/myImage.gif

to [R]http://localhost/myVirtualDirectory/oneFolder/anotherFolder/[R]http://localhost/myVirtualDirectory/images/myImage.gif

which doesn't show the image as it cannot be found at that location.
Posted by midgetgemmy on 4/7/2009 at 9:11 AM
I am experiencing this exact problem - my image src keeps changing itself, with no pattern as to when it's going to happen. It appears in the Undo menu as "Edit HTML" but undo-ing it from there doesn't always stop it from changing itself back in the next few seconds.

It doesn't just change the URL to absolute so it would still work, it repeats itself lots of times and just won't display.

I'll post an example when it next happens - will Microsoft pick up this bug from these comments or does it need to be logged separately?
Posted by JoshSommers on 4/2/2009 at 12:29 PM
Yes, this so called "fix" introduces a worse bug. This is getting ridiculous. I wish there was some way we could hold Microsoft responsible for this nonsense.

The new bug is that the src property of img tags get ruined and filled with nonsense. The src property gets changed automatically and cannot be fixed. Any attempt to fix the src property and it just reverts back to crap. It starts with [R] and then followed by an absolute file path like src="[R]file:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpgfile:///c:/someimage.jpg"
Posted by Ryan Pak on 3/26/2009 at 10:58 PM
Installed KB967253. Seems fixed the problem.
But it created another problem. I have an image tag in the page, the VS always added "[S]http://localhost/ " as a prefix in my URL. No matter how I update it, it would add the tag again and again. I have no idea on what is "[S]", this tag is non-sense to me. This does not happen after I unistalled the KB, so I am quite sure it is the cause.

Posted by JoshSommers on 3/26/2009 at 1:26 PM
Ok, it worked for me, but I had to reboot my PC after the install. So please note you may need to reboot to see this fix work.
Posted by JoshSommers on 3/26/2009 at 1:16 PM
Installed KB967253 and it did not in any way fix this problem on my development machine. Back to the drawing board MS.

FYI, here is the link everyone, hope it works for you:

Posted by SamProsser on 3/24/2009 at 11:38 AM
!!! See KB967253 for the hot fix !!!
Posted by Amy Dullard on 3/13/2009 at 11:00 AM
We will be releasing a hotfix for this issue in Visual Studio 2008 in the next couple of weeks.

We did fix this issue in Visual Studio 2010. However, when we received a number of reports on and votes for this issue in Visual Studio 2008, the team began work on the hotfix.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions or would like to be notified when this hotfix is published.

Amy Dullard
Program Manager, Visual Web Developer
amy.dullard at microsoft.com
Posted by Microsoft on 3/13/2009 at 10:56 AM

Amy Dullard
Program Manager, Visual Web Developer
amy.dullard at microsoft.com
Posted by R. Berman on 3/12/2009 at 9:32 AM
I think this shows the developers have moved on and are not concerned with the usability of VS2008.

Master pages are a VITAL part of any serious development -- for them not to work with controls embedded this way, as so many are now, really just gives us a huge headache in using them. And weren't they supposed to SOLVE a problem?

Web Development Tools Team -- how about living up to the name and finish the development of this web tool, hmm?
Posted by RichL33 on 3/10/2009 at 5:32 PM
So finally an update on this but it's "fixed in VS 2010"! Does this mean there is no fix for those of us using 2008 (except going back to 2005?). Sucks.
Posted by crashed2006 on 3/3/2009 at 5:29 AM
LMFAO - Do you think we'll be buying vs2010 if vs2008 doesn't even work. You are seriously taking the absolutely micky out of us by posting that.

Get the fix out to us, otherwise you will be loosing customers as im already looking at alternatives to vs.
Posted by Steve Ives on 2/27/2009 at 9:13 AM
A agree, I can't believe that something this serious has remained unaddressed for so long. Diabolical.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/26/2009 at 9:30 AM
Hi,

just to let yo know that this issue was fixed for Visual Studio 2010.

Web Development Tools team.
Posted by EsZett1 on 2/3/2009 at 6:37 AM
PLEASE, Microsoft help us, PLEASE !!!
It is really a big big big disaster.
Thx
Posted by crashed2006 on 1/29/2009 at 6:21 PM
Would say that two months for a crippling bug is more time then MS should need. Im shocked at the support cycle here!!!
Posted by Geoff Davis on 1/28/2009 at 3:09 AM
I haven't got a couple of weeks, is there any way we can get this fix sooner. It's already caused me at least two weeks of frustration.
Posted by Buda56 on 1/27/2009 at 1:38 PM
I'll certainly be glad when it is fixed, it has caused me some angst in the past.
Posted by glennforum on 1/27/2009 at 5:08 AM
From what I understand as of yesterday (1/26) this problem has been corrected internally @ msoft and the fix is going through the release cycle and will be available in a couple to a few weeks from now.
Posted by Christopher D. Todd on 1/27/2009 at 5:01 AM
I have the same problem. Very important that it is fixed as well as it doesn't show up in the next version of VS. Please fix this!!!
Posted by Rinaldo Ferreira on 1/27/2009 at 3:47 AM
We have found this issue after update our machines to VS 2008, now we will have to downgrade to VS 2005. Can anyone from Microsoft give us a simple return on this issue?

Regards.
Posted by glennforum on 1/8/2009 at 12:58 PM
Anything new on this issue? This is really making VS unusable and we are starting to look at alternatives. How can you a bug this major make it into production and nothing get commented here by Microsoft in over a month?
Posted by kevman1234617347 on 12/19/2008 at 7:07 AM
Please work on this as soon as possible! It is causing so many problems for our team, and hours of productivity loss.
Posted by glennforum on 12/1/2008 at 1:24 PM
This problem is a major issue for anyone using base pages and master pages. I am able to work-around this issue somewhat by creating a standard aspx page without a master page and base page inheritance to work on the components in design mode.

I have to believe most serious applications written for .net with VS would utilize masterpages, etc. Please get a patch done for this ASAP we are losing a lot of time on our development schedule.

Thanks.