Stop Error List pop up in aspx Source view - by Mike Hardy

Fixed<br /><br />

Type Suggestion Repros 10
Opened 12/17/2008 4:06:23 PM

When trying to work in Source mode with aspx files the Error List constantly pops up with Warnings.  Even after turning numerous options off it still keeps popping up.

Options / Text Editor / HTML / Options / Show errors - OFF
Options / Text Editor / CSS Specific / Detect errors - OFF
Options / Projects and Solutions / Always show Error List if build finishes with errors OFF

It's so bad sometimes I have to undock the Error List and move it to another monitor or pin it and waste all that space.

It's especially aggravating because it occurs not for errors, but for warnings.  I don't remotely care about any warnings what-so-ever when I'm working in markup until I'm done.  Being constantly bombarded with the Error List is beyond frustrating.

Please provide a way to stop this behavior.

Posted by kingboyk on 6/9/2010 at 5:33 AM
NOT fixed in VS2008 and still a major PITA.
Posted by StephenAlale on 3/30/2010 at 6:26 AM
Guys, seriously, This is by far the most annoying UN-FIXED bug in VS. And it’s being arround for ages, since VS 2005. I don’t need the error windiow raisign it’s ugly head everytime I’m editing aspx source files just because I cant type at the speed of light. This is the typical nonchalant MS developers attitude to bug fixing on a commercial product that you have paid a lot of money for. Saying that developers will have to pay to have a crucial bug fixed on your product is just not good enough.

It does not speak volumes for the team at all. I’m prety sure Scott Guthrie does not run the IDE team otheriwise I don’t think you would have been able to get away with your proposed resolution strategy. Not good enough guys!
Posted by The first MaYHeM on 3/11/2010 at 8:44 AM
CLOSED WTF?

This is THE most annoying aspect of visual studio. We need a solution!
Posted by KyDerbyMan on 2/26/2010 at 7:59 AM
FWIW, the same thing happens when adding an id to, say, a label control in the markup window of a web app. I have several labels that I am now having to add id="" and run="server" attributes and after every time that I paste in that text, I get my error list window to popup for a few seconds.

It's INCREDIBLY annoying. And, the popup window will not go away if my mouse cursor happens to be in the lower part of the screen where the error list window shows.

Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
Posted by Felipe Matias on 11/6/2009 at 5:04 AM
I found a 'solution'.
You can group Tab Error list, with the Tab of Documents, just click on "Window position" in window Error List, and select a option 'Tabbed Document'.

Check:

Now your window Error List appear just like a Document.
It´s not solution forever, but don´t get anyone to crazy.
Posted by SngBrdB on 10/30/2009 at 4:47 AM
Agree, don't close an issue that's still not fixed. Not only is this annoying, it really slows down the IDE. Fix it in 2008 please.
Posted by John Q. Smith on 7/26/2009 at 9:27 PM
This should not be closed, since the issue has not been resolved. Include the solution in a hot fix to Visual Studio 2008, rather than promising it for next version.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/23/2009 at 10:53 AM
Thanks again Mike. This behavior has been fixed in the next version of Visual Studio.

Microsoft Web Tools Team
Posted by Mike Hardy on 7/10/2009 at 12:22 PM
It looks like it pops up whenever I do save. I save all the time instinctively with ctrl+s - I don't even realize I'm doing it anymore. It appears the popup is directly related to that.

1. If I close my Error List, it still pops up, but then stays up and pinned. I turn it on auto hide so it will at least go away. I'd prefer to keep it pinned so it would only appear for actual build errors after which I manually close it.
2. No. For instance, my current project has no build errors. When I build, nothing happens. But typing in an aspx and saving causes the Error List to pop.
3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nNtW0E0a-c
4. no thankfully. I can continue typing and it will auto-hide a few seconds later.
Posted by RanjiniM1 on 5/5/2009 at 6:58 PM
Hi Mike,

Can you give a little more info on the issue you are seeing?
1. Have you closed your error list and does it pop-up on validation errors?
2. Does it happen when you build your website/ WAP?
3, Can you please give a simple repro on making it happen?
4. Does the error list steal the focus away from the editor?

Thanks,
Ranjini
Posted by Microsoft on 3/26/2009 at 5:23 PM
Hi Mike,
         Thanks for the suggestion, we have added it to the list of considerations and will try to look into it in the upcoming releases of Visual Studio
Thanks