Cannot develop ATL project in a solution of which the first project is MFC by Bruno van Dooren

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 1/7/2009 11:12:12 PM

If you create a new MFC project in a new solution, you cannot develop ATL EXE projects in that same solution.

You can add the new ATL project, but if you try to add a 'ATL Simple Object' to the project, you get the message 'ATL Simple object can only be added to MFC EXE or MFC Regular DLL with full ATL support' if you use VS2008SP1

With VS2010CTP, you nothing special happens, but the dialog for
creating the ATL simple object never appeared and subsequently although I can access the 'Add' menu item from the Class View pane, the "Class" sub-menu is now in an
active state and nothing happens

If I try to close the IDE I get:
"Microsoft Visual Studio cannot shut down because a modal dialog is
active. Close the active dialog and try again.
".. but there isn't any visible dialog I can do anything with :)

(Thank you David Lowndes for reproducing this)
Posted by Alek Davis on 10/28/2009 at 10:55 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that my ATL project is DLL (although I used an option to merge proxy/stub), so the info in the workaround is not accurate.
Posted by Alek Davis on 10/28/2009 at 10:53 AM
I tried it on VS 2008 v.9.0.30729.1 SP and got the same problem. I have a solution with quite a few projects (some of which are MFC), so added an ATL project to this solution and when I tried to add a simple ATL class, I got the error. Tried it a few times with no success. Then I closed the solution and opened the ATL project directly (which loaded the solution) and the operation succeeded. Go figure.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/20/2009 at 8:20 PM
Hi Bruno,

This functionality was still broken in the CTP, we have fixed it since and you should see the correct behavior when we ship the next build externally.

Thanks for reporting the issue,
Visual C++ Team
Posted by Microsoft on 1/8/2009 at 10:26 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are escalating this bug to the product unit who works on that specific feature area. The team will review this issue and make a decision on whether they will fix it or not for the next release.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Bruno van Dooren on 1/7/2009 at 11:13 PM
The only way to make it work is to edit the sln file with notepad, swap the order of the projects in the beginning of the solution text, so that the ATL project comes first, delete the ncb and suo files, and open the solution again.

The problem does not exist with ATL DLL projects, or if the ATL project is created first, and then the MFC app is added.