HTML 9Source code) not updating to match Design view - by d70Nerd

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 2/4/2009 10:33:28 AM

I am using Visual Studio 2008 with SP1 and .Net 3.5 SP1 on a Vista Ultimate machine.
Machine is a Dell XPS 420 with 3 GB RAM.

Problem description:
1. On a web form I insert a menu control from the Toolbox's Navigation tab.
2. I edit the menu and create items with URLs etc in Design view. The html in the aspx source is updated correctly and changes appear correctly.
3. Save the aspx file and close it (or leave open and continue working).
4. I edit the menu again to add more items (or any other action that affects the menu design)  in Design view and save. The changes do not appear in the html in the source, yet switching between Design and Source shows the changes in Design, but not in html. If I close the aspx file and reopen it, the changes made to the menu do not appear in Design nor in html in the source. After the initial menu creation and editing, it appears that menus always have to be edited in source view and saved. if I do that all is well, but it is so inconvenient and tedious. Same occurs in Split view - html doe not update to match Design view changes.

Any ideas?
Posted by Eric Schudy on 8/6/2009 at 1:25 PM
I installed the hotfix 17185. I have found that if I keep the designer.cs file open, and make changes on the form itself in the designer, then the changes apply. I know this is for windows forms, but maybe it will work for the web also. Hope it works for you.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/18/2009 at 4:04 PM
Hello

please install this update

thanks
Posted by brtz on 5/12/2009 at 5:49 AM
I have the same problem. Almost all asp.net controls, including 3rd party controls like Telerik, have the same behaviour.

I tried downloading hotfix 17185 which is supposed to solve the problem, but it's not there any more: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=17185
Posted by VLCezar on 4/14/2009 at 11:12 AM
have encountered a similar problem.
Posted by kevinduk on 3/3/2009 at 11:22 AM
I have encountered a similar problem today with a checkbox list. Added the new checkboxlist to the source view, added items in the design view, which then appeared in the design view but did not update the source view. After saving, closing and reopening the changes added items did not appear.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/4/2009 at 11:40 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.

In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with:

a) A demo zipped project file
b) More steps/actions to reproduce the problem

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Visual Studio Product Team