Visual Studio and .NET Framework Home
EnvDTE.Window.SetTabPicture doesn't support 32-bit bitmaps with transparency in alpha channel when toolwindow not active
Carlos J. Quintero
6/25/2009 4:19:01 AM
User(s) can reproduce this bug
When using a 32-bit bitmap with transparency in the alpha channel, the bitmap of the toolwindow of an add-in shows transparency when the toolwindow is active, but not when it is not the active one.
Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1
Operating System Language
Steps to Reproduce
- Create an add-in with for VS 2010 Beta 1
- Create a toolwindow and before making it visible, call the Window.SetTabPicture with a 32-bit bitmap that uses five zones with the following colors
1) Transparent (no color), transparency in the alpha channel
5) Some non-transparent color such as blue
(I have attached the 32-bit bitmap that I am using)
- Call Window.Visible = True to make the toolwindow visible
- Debug the add-in and show the toolwindow
- Dock the toolwindow inside the Solution Explorer toolwindow to make the toolwindow picture to appear
- Put the focus in the Solution Explorer toolwindow so you can see the picture of the toolwindow of the add-in without the colors used when the toolwindow is the active one
1) The transparent zone (transparency in the alpha channel) doesn't show transparent
2) The RGB=0,255,0 shows green.
3) The RGB=0,254,0 shows transparent
4) The RGB=255,0,255 shows transparent
5) The color shows correctly
(I have attached the image with the result)
1) It should show transparent (the bug I am reporting)
2) OK, RGB=0,255,0 was never used for transparency in toolwindow bitmaps.
3) OK, for backwards compatibility
4) OK, for backwards compatibility
Notice that the 32-bit bitmap shows transparency when the toolwindow is active, but not when it is not or when you hover the mouse on it (it seems to keep using the background of the case when it is the active toolwindow)
TAP Code (if applicable)
You can indicate your satisfaction with how Microsoft handled this issue by completing this quick
3 question survey
to post a comment.
Please enter a comment.
Blake A Niemyjski
on 1/27/2011 at 1:25 PM
This has not been fixed in the SP1 Beta.
on 7/1/2009 at 3:14 PM
Thank you for the report. We are doing our best to ensure that all of our apis will accept 32bit with alpha images. This path and several others have been fixed to accomidate them and it will be availalbe in an upcomming release.
on 6/30/2009 at 2:51 PM
Thanks. Our developer is currently investigating this issue.
Visual Studio Platform Team
on 6/26/2009 at 1:36 AM
Thanks for your feedback.
We are rerouting this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
to post a workaround.
Please enter a workaround.
© 2014 Microsoft