KB971092 won't install by _Wouter_

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 7/29/2009 1:27:45 AM

When I started up my laptop (from hibernation) Automatic Updates presented two security updates, one for IE7 and one for VS2008. The last one is KB971092. I installed both and rebooted the system.

When rebooting was complete Automatic Updates came up with KB971092 again. Again I installed it, The installation was reported as successfull and no reboot was required. But soon after I closed the update the Automatic Updates shield showed itself again in my system tray, again with KB971092.

I downloaded the update from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=294de390-3c94-49fb-a014-9a38580e64cb and tried to install that one. It came up with this error message:
"VC Libraries QFE Patch does not apply, or is blocked by another condition on your system. Please click the link below for more details." That link directed me to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971092, not very helpful.
Posted by Chuck8 on 10/30/2010 at 11:25 AM
This is still a problem, even with systems that have C++ installed. It's been well over a year since this has been reported. Isn't it ever going to be fixed?
Posted by Andrew Richards 2 on 10/26/2010 at 5:12 AM
I have this problem, but doing the workaround didn't help. I just can't do an update to any Visual Studio program on this machine. They all fail, whether via Windows Update, or downloading patches, or downloading the whole SP1 installer. I also can't uninstall Visual Studio components now, even the uninstaller fails, with no useful message.
Posted by qfred on 5/31/2010 at 2:38 PM
KB971092 via windows update failed to install for me as well. Contrary to the comments on this page, I DO have VC++ components installed in my VS 2008 SP1. Furthermore, the updated standalone installer linked here also failed.
Posted by Anipad on 8/18/2009 at 12:23 PM
I am seeing this issues with installing kb971092 on XP X64 and W2K3 X64 machines.
I see some eventlog erros not sure if its realted to same update.
Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    SPInstaller
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    5000
Date:        8/17/2009
Time:        11:01:00 PM
User:        N/A
Description:
EventType spinstaller, P1 spinstaller, P2 , P3 0xe06d7363, P4 , P5 c, P6 9.0.30703.1, P7 1, P8 unknown, P9 x64_win2k3, P10 0.

Any Idea how to resolve this issue?
Also, Can I directly install this update over VS2008(without install original VSSP1)
Posted by Tatworth on 8/5/2009 at 2:53 AM
I have downloaded the updated fix, but still get "VC Libraries QFE Patch does not apply, or is blocked by another condition on your system. Please click the link below for more details."

Posted by Microsoft on 8/4/2009 at 8:30 PM
Thank you for reporting the probmlem with the update KB971092 wherein the update fails to install when the VC++ feature is not present.

The issue has now been resolved and a newer revision of the patch is now available on the Microsoft Download Center:

This revised update is also available to customers via Microsoft Update and WSUS.

Thanks,
Jamshed Damkewala
Lead Program Manager, DevDiv Sustained Engineering Team
Posted by Microsoft on 7/31/2009 at 2:04 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Daniel Popović on 7/30/2009 at 3:13 AM
Until Microsoft come up with an official solution there is a working workaround for this problem.

This problem only appears to affect people who have not got Visual C++ Installed.

1.) Download VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe from here ...
2.) Start the installation VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe
3.) Wait for the error message to come up - DO NOT CLOSE THE WINDOW!
4.) Copy the temp. folder where the patch has been unpacked to a new folder, for example onto your desktop.
5.) Close VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe that you started in 2.)
6.) Navigate to <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools and find vsvars32.bat.
7.) Change the permissions on the file to allow everyone to edit it.
8.) Start VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.msp from within the saved folder and the process should complete.
Posted by NBACUK on 7/30/2009 at 12:35 AM
The workaround failed for me.
Posted by __spatel on 7/29/2009 at 2:34 PM
---------------------------
OUTLOOK.EXE - Application Error
---------------------------
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150004). Click on OK to terminate the application.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
Posted by Cyril.Tikhonov on 7/29/2009 at 5:55 AM

People in our team are also getting this same Outlook crash that Cyril.Tikhonov reported. They actually have VC++ installed.
Posted by Meanas on 7/29/2009 at 8:06 AM
Experienced the same issue with Win 7 RC/VS 2008 SP1 (I do not have the C++ components installed). Used the posted workaround (copying unpacked temp folder to desktop, etc..) successfully.
Posted by Bob Riddle on 7/29/2009 at 7:51 AM
KB also failed to install for me, but with slightly different symptoms. A number of times during the attempted installation, I saw a pair of error dialogs in sequence. The first complained of "Class not registered". The second said "Count not create language service object".

The EventLog seems to imply that the problem relates to having Microsoft's Ajax controls installed. Here are four of the many "Application" Event Log entries.

Error in Template (C:\Documents and Settings\BRIDDLE\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual Basic\AjaxControlExtenderItemVB.zip), file (MyTemplate.vstemplate). Unregistered ProjectType (VisualBasic). This can be caused by an incorrect ProjectType or because the project type package is not installed.

Error in Template (C:\Documents and Settings\BRIDDLE\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ItemTemplates\Visual C#\AjaxControlExtenderItemCS.zip), file (MyTemplate.vstemplate). Unregistered ProjectType (CSharp). This can be caused by an incorrect ProjectType or because the project type package is not installed.

Error in Template (C:\Documents and Settings\BRIDDLE\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Basic\AjaxControlExtenderProjectVB.zip), file (MyTemplate.vstemplate). Unregistered ProjectType (VisualBasic). This can be caused by an incorrect ProjectType or because the project type package is not installed

Error in Template (C:\Documents and Settings\BRIDDLE\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\AjaxControlExtenderProjectCS.zip), file (MyTemplate.vstemplate). Unregistered ProjectType (CSharp). This can be caused by an incorrect ProjectType or because the project type package is not installed.
Posted by Tatworth on 7/29/2009 at 6:23 AM
Please also see http://weblogs.asp.net/guybarrette/archive/2009/07/29/kb971092-fails-to-install.aspx
Posted by Rumtata on 7/29/2009 at 6:04 AM
after having the unfinished installation of this patch Adode Reader 9.12 crashed always after about 3 seconds (also with no PDF loaded)
Posted by Cyril Tikhonov on 7/29/2009 at 5:55 AM
After restart outlook starts crashing:

---------------------------
OUTLOOK.EXE - Application Error
---------------------------
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
Posted by twlichty on 7/29/2009 at 5:41 AM
Exactly the same issue for me. I'm using Vista SP2.
Posted by graycrow on 7/29/2009 at 5:21 AM
Same problem. I don't want to install a C++ components just to install the update. Any other solutions?
Posted by jpis on 7/29/2009 at 4:42 AM
I have the exact same issue. Just using C#, no C++ components installed.
Posted by Tatworth on 7/29/2009 at 3:38 AM
Also reported at
Posted by Marcos on 7/29/2009 at 3:36 AM
I don't have C++ and KB971092 keeps appearing in Windows Updates and installing succesfully, and re-appearing... XP SP3
Posted by boylem on 7/29/2009 at 3:29 AM
Having same issue. Update fails when C++ components are not installed (XP Pro SP3).
Posted by Tatworth on 7/29/2009 at 2:42 AM
Please see the the blog entry at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/3b465fe1-d82f-4c80-90ab-eeab2e11d20c

Several other people have not installed C++ as part of VS2008 and have exactly the same error message.
Posted by Tatworth on 7/29/2009 at 2:34 AM
I have had a similar message using VS2008 SP1 Pro on Server 2003. It is possible that the message is due to C++ components of Visual Studio not being installed?
Posted by Stephanie2003 on 2/2/2010 at 7:54 AM
I followed the workaround step i) to vi) on window server 2003. when I install VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.msp, a warning message window was showed up. the warning message was "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by windows installer service because the program be to upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of program, verfy that program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch." Could anyone has same problem? anyone could let me know what i missing? Thanks in advance!
Posted by Dino on 8/8/2009 at 3:12 PM
Windows 7 x64 machine - I simply set the permissions on vcvars.bat as specified, and it appeared to install correctly from WSUS. Previously on the RC, I had the issue noted here, and used the full workaround to fix it.
Posted by CaseyB412 on 8/4/2009 at 6:35 AM
I do have the C++ components installed. The patch installation was taking a very long time, and the msi log was not being updated at all. So, I killed the process, and tried the workaround here. It worked. I ran the msp from an elevated command prompt (Vista).
Posted by Anatoly Shkoldin on 8/4/2009 at 6:13 AM
Just import .reg file with the following contents:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\VC\VC_OBJECTS_PLATFORM_INFO]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\VC\VC_OBJECTS_PLATFORM_INFO\Win32]
@="{72f11281-2429-11d7-8bf6-00b0d03daa06}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\VC\VC_OBJECTS_PLATFORM_INFO\Win32\ToolDefaultExtensionLists]
"VCCLCompilerTool"="*.cpp;*.cxx;*.cc;*.c"
"VCALinkTool"="*.resources"
"VCManagedResourceCompilerTool"="*.resx"
"VCXMLDataGeneratorTool"="*.xsd"
"VCManifestTool"="*.manifest"
"VCXDCMakeTool"="*.xdc"
Posted by Tatworth on 8/4/2009 at 3:16 AM
Whilst I do not recommend this work-around, the following works: rebuild the machine from scratch and this time, include Visual C++ when installing Visual Studio.
(My rebuild was necessary as I needed to re-partition the hard disk to make the boot drive bigger.)
Needless to say, VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe was applied with no problem.
Posted by 7CABC4BA-6E22-499D-B61D-C45E0C5BCFE5 on 8/3/2009 at 1:29 AM
Extracting via the /x switch and running the ~.msp package worked for me as well! (Vista x64)

Similar to Rod there was no acknowledgment that the patch has finished installing. I had to wait for Windows Update to finish downloading something (whatever it was nothing was subsequently installed) before manually re-checking for updates - this time all clean and green. Finally! :)
Posted by Rod Nolan on 8/2/2009 at 8:41 AM
After extracting the contents of VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe and running VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.msp I get the Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition ENU... message.

The Gathering required information progress bar counts down to Time Remaining: 0 seconds, waits for a minute or two, then just disappears.

Has anyone encountered this or know of a solution? I realize this is a call for help, rather than a suggested workaround. I hope this is appropriate here.

I'm running XP SP3 in Normal mode, not Safe mode. I have also changed the permissions on vsvars32.bat so that all the default accounts in the list (Administrators, Power Users, Users, and SYSTEM) have Full Control.

Posted by J. Lucas on 7/31/2009 at 11:46 AM
I tried applying the extracted MSP but got an error message about not being able to open vcvars32.bat for writing, even though it *did* ask for UAC elevation. Instead of changing the file permissions as someone suggested, I ran the MSP from an elevated command prompt and it worked fine.
Posted by streamcap on 7/31/2009 at 3:33 AM
The djpip27 and rumtata workaround works like a charm for me.
Posted by Anant Anand Gupta on 7/30/2009 at 4:02 AM
On Windows Server 2003 SP2

Just Extract the patch downloaded by using /x switch. Specify the path for extraction. you will receive on *.MSP file along with other files. execute it ... and you are done.
Posted by Rumtata on 7/30/2009 at 1:09 AM
@all that gets this vsvars32.bat message
Just one question:
Did you start VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.msp with "Run As Administrator"?
I did so & and didn't get the message that it can't write to vsvars32.bat. Maybe this is the key ... ???
Posted by ango0001 on 7/29/2009 at 9:54 PM
Just use the Extract command line option to extract files as below, to a folder and then install using VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.msp

VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe/Extract [:path]
Posted by DJ PIP on 7/29/2009 at 12:06 PM

Here is the complete workaround. All thanks to go to Rumtata and Joao.S.Cardoso.

1.) Download VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe from here ...
2.) Start the installation VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe
3.) Wait for the error message to come up - DO NOT CLOSE THE WINDOW!
5.) Close VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe that you started in 2.)
7.) Change the permissions on the file to allow everyone to edit it.
Posted by Dave Irovic on 7/29/2009 at 10:39 AM
I was able to manually download and install the patch successfully too. Although, during the process it asked me for the Visual Studio 2008 - Developer Edition DVD to get files from, and then completed in about 30 minutes after that.
Posted by Joao S Cardoso on 7/29/2009 at 8:21 AM
The workarround from Rumtata worked for me. Just to add a note that may happen. The patch may tell you its unable to open file vsvars32.bat to write. In that caso go to:
<drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools
and edit the security of the file to allow everyone to edit the file. When setup is done, revert back the changes on security.
Posted by Rumtata on 7/29/2009 at 5:33 AM
Same message "VC Libraries QFE Patch does not apply...".
Want has helped on my PC (Vista x64, VS 2008 Prof.)
i.) Downloaded VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe
ii.) Started VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe
iii.) Again error message came up - DO NOT CLOSE THE WINDOW!
iv.) copied the temp. folder where the patch has been unpacked
v.) closed VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.exe started in ii.)
vi.) started VS90SP1-KB971092-x86.msp from within the saved folder and ... bingo
* Patch installed succesfully
* Patch is registered with Visual Studio (Help| About Microsoft Visual Studio)
* Windows Update isn't offering this patch anymore