Horrible User Interface by Peter Wimmer

Active

Opened: 10/22/2009 1:22:25 PM

The user interface does not meet Microsoft's own user interface guidelines for Windows applications. Please don't use different designs for the OS, Office, Expression, Visual Studio, ... but agree on a single design to keep the user interface consistent over different applications. The pale blue Visual Studio design is particularly ugly.
Posted by Daniel Smith on 5/24/2010 at 4:32 AM
I'd much rather the UI complied with the current Windows theme.

There are just so many resasons why it's poor practice to ignore the system theme. They've all been discussed in the *many* other bugs submitted on this same issue. If every app decided to rewrite the UI guidelines, you'd end up with a totally inconsistent mess. Then you have issues with people with disabilities who are the main people who are adversely affected, when they *need* the apps they use to follow the system theme they've chosen.

The mantra seems to be that the focus groups loved the new theme, but from votes on bugs such as this, the split has been roughly 60/40. Alienating 40% of your users is just way too much.
Posted by Dee2849083 on 12/9/2009 at 7:43 AM
I think "Garish" described it well. especially with two hugely contrasting colours like dark blue/green and orange.
I don't see how the presumably default of adhering to the customers preferences is more work then a devleoping, testing andf user experiance testing yet another new scheme.
Posted by GTrz on 12/3/2009 at 5:33 AM
I hope the colors improve in the next VS 2012

Blue is a very nice color, Microsoft Word 2007 looks just gorgeous in blue, it makes you want to open it and write something, it makes you relaxed and confident.

But VS 2010 needs some work in that area.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/6/2009 at 2:54 PM
Hello Peter,

I have passed your comments along to the design team, and I have received a response that I am including below:

We conducted user studies for validation on the new visual appearance of Dev10 and received an overwhelmingly positive response. Of course, due to the subjective nature of aesthetics, there will always be someone who dislikes any particular design. However, from positive feedback we’ve received so far on the new Dev10 UI, we are confident that this would only be small number of users.

For this release, an OS theme was cut due to lack of resources. This would have tied all the VS colors to system colors and the user can customize the system colors via the OS. We hope to get this theme in for a future release of Visual Studio.

While the Visual Studio 2010 visual appearance is unique, it does follow the Microsoft Windows UX guidelines. Microsoft does not use one standard visual appearance for all its products for multiple reasons, including:
•    Not every product has the same users and therefore the same UI is not appropriate everywhere
•    Microsoft has such a wide range of products, it would be impossible to do one visual appearance that is a "one size fits all." For example, it would be virtually impossible to use a single UI design for Zune, XBox, Visual Studio and Bing.
•    Different visual appearance of different products helps differentiate/brand them.
•    Having a single UI appearance would not give individual products flexibility to evolve as needed in response to trends, customer and business needs.

If there are specific aspects of the Visual Studio 2010 UI that you find hinder the usability, I encourage you to follow up with these details.

Suzanne Hansen, Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Shell Team
Posted by Sander Saares 2 on 10/26/2009 at 6:40 AM
Oh god, yes! I'm usually the first to upgrade to new versions of MS products but this ugly blue is definitely going to delay my upgrade until someone does something about it. A powertoy to change the ugly blue would be the bare minimum solution. Who in the world thought that a powerful blue is a good choice for a development application?! What I want is something completely unobtrusive, so I can concentrate on my work, not some fancy "look at me, I'm such a cool and fancy UI" theme.
Posted by Sander Saares 2 on 5/24/2010 at 1:40 AM
There is now available a theme editor extension for Visual Studio. See http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/20cd93a2-c435-4d00-a797-499f16402378
Posted by bwt on 10/23/2009 at 12:22 PM
You can always continue to use VS2008, if the new styles bother you that much.