C++ / CLI Intellisense - by Simon FERQUEL

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

ID 501921 Comments
Opened 10/24/2009 11:54:59 AM

In Visual Studio 2010 beta2, there is no more intellisense... If it stays like this, Visual Studio 2010 will not be usable for many existing projects (large-scale projects with important C++ code base, and new features / improvements realized in .Net, for example) as well as "yet to be" projects (projects that need to make native code communicate with .Net APIs, or the contrary).
Posted by ar_joe on 7/1/2012 at 11:17 PM
Am running the latest beta of VS2012 and created a C++ project. It seems this still has NOT be implemented. How can that be? CLR programming in C++ is sufficiently different for those of us coming from a traditional C++ world that it's significantly more difficult without intellisense.
Posted by RealmCtrl on 6/13/2012 at 12:17 PM
Just came across this and I'm bewildered at the reasoning behind this. Reminds me of my $600.00 experiment with a Windows phone that didn't have Copy/Paste because Microsoft didn't think users would miss it too much. The "old guard" that made Microsoft great must be reclining in the Bahamas while a new crew fails to understand fundamental reasons why it's not optional to forego some capabilities in next generation solutions. After trying to use my Windows phone for about three months with Microsoft promising that "copy/paste is coming!" -- I finally abandoned it and reverted back to Android. Am I about to relive this and revert back to a previous version of Studio? I paid $1,500.00 for an MSDN subscription primarily so that I could get Visual Studio Premium. Now I guess the only option is to pay thousands MORE to upgrade to 11? Should be called "Visual Studio 2010 Premium Fail".
Posted by Brian Snuffleburger on 2/13/2012 at 7:06 PM
Microsoft had better realize that disabling IntelliSense with CLI just makes things infinitely harder for students trying to learn Visual C++. Now if we need to do anything having to do with Windows Forms, we have to go look up all the objects in the online help instead of being able to just let autocomplete help us along if we forget.

If it really will be enabled in Visual studio 11, that would be acceptable. But only acceptable, not great like Visual Studio should be.
Posted by ak99372 on 1/29/2012 at 4:01 PM
Well at least the colors are nice in 2010... or is that the only thing you changed since 2008?
Posted by ctaggart on 9/15/2011 at 10:16 PM
The Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview says "C++/CLI now has full IntelliSense support. All the IntelliSense features such as Quick Info, Parameter Help, List Members, and Auto Completion now work for C++/CLI". http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh409293(v=VS.110).aspx
Posted by TWC2102 on 7/22/2011 at 12:04 PM
Shows the power of oligopoly and monopoly. If more serious competition existed, they could not get away with this.
Posted by Steve-Abx on 6/2/2011 at 4:38 PM
Crazy
I just upgraded a suite of c++/cli tools to VS2010.
I will look at VA Assist, but the planned solution for now is to just change back to VS2008 and drop .NET4
Posted by CodeMercenary on 4/4/2011 at 1:24 AM
This is just astonishing. I've been using VS2010 since its release and this entire time I've been holding out hope that a service pack or something would be released for this intellisense feature. I can't believe it's been removed--this is going to cripple any development I do in C++.NET and I'm going to have to develop any new projects in C# from here on out.

I can understand that a restructuring change's duration may be difficult to estimate, but a lot of pain could have been avoided by sticking to an interface policy that let them swap in the old cruddy model if it just so happened their target date was not met.
Posted by Anoobie on 4/2/2011 at 4:04 PM
No intellisense for c++? Thats like putting a ladder in a new home instead of stairs. There not needed but they are a pretty important feature. Bad Microsoft, how could you release VS with out this. I have the ultimate version and that is pretty expensive. I wish it was posted on the box. I program in many languages depending on what is required. But when using c++ I will not be using Microsoft and if you continue to make dumb mistakes like this you will lose me as a customer. The people at Microsoft are suppose to be pretty smart. Well I don't know what they are smoking. But they just made a huge mistake which might cost them the c++ market. Just stupit... I should recieve 45% of my money back because your missing part of the program that is expected. If I sold my software the way you just did I would have been sued. Extremely disappointed.
Posted by Samuel N Skuce on 3/7/2011 at 7:43 AM
The Visual C++ team has said they will have C++/CLI Intellisense in the next version of Visual Studio, but not in a service pack for VS10. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2011/03/03/10136696.aspx.
Posted by Antti Eskola on 2/22/2011 at 2:54 AM
Its just plain stupid to miss one of the basic features that separates text editor from IDE. Even worse is the fact that you don't even plan to fix this as you have closed this ticket.
Posted by Stefan Vogel on 1/24/2011 at 5:06 AM
Too bad I did not notice this before migrating my projects... :-(
Posted by Samuel N Skuce on 12/21/2010 at 1:25 PM
I see the interim fix list for SP1 (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jasonz/archive/2010/12/20/visual-studio-2010-service-pack-1-beta-feedback.aspx) doesn't include this issue. Boo. Hiss.
Posted by TWC2102 on 12/17/2010 at 8:03 PM
Please address this ASAP. Microsoft shareholder not pleased with this issue.
Posted by Zaslow at Flexi on 12/15/2010 at 1:59 PM
Please address this ASAP. I'm working on a large (and old) native C++ application and I want to start integrating managed code into it. Previously the integrations were superficial and went through bridge DLLs (C++/CLI) but now the changes I want to make are more pervasive and I want to compile much (if not all) of the code for CLI. Currently I'm putting off this work for a few months hoping that by then you'll support Intellisense for CLI.
Posted by Dr. Augend on 12/7/2010 at 12:19 PM
Never will buy it without intellisense!
Microsoft, please care about your customers!
Posted by JackSparrowPirates on 11/29/2010 at 3:58 AM
BullShit, This is insanity. Intellisense and VC++ Debugger are the main reason why people program in VC++. Killing Intellisense is like working on Turbo C++.
Posted by Joe Zee on 11/17/2010 at 3:30 AM
Intellisense is the best tool in Visual Studio, and is a primary reason to purchase the software. Not having it is a major handicap to my productivity.
Posted by ShawnCG on 11/11/2010 at 12:59 PM
I'll add my voice to those who have already expressed shock and disappointment at the omission of Intellisense for C++/CLI programming. The unique capabilities of C++/CLI have been an excellent tool for application development. I hope this Intellisense issue is not an indication of an intention to drop support for C++/CLI in a future version of MS Studio. I'll strongly consider my other options for Windows application development if it comes to that.
Posted by Dan Geva on 11/11/2010 at 12:30 PM
C++/CLI is also needed while teaching C++ in Visual Studio and it is a great help for the students.
Will it be back in SP1? When SP1 is due?
Posted by Vijaye Raji on 11/1/2010 at 10:50 AM
It's not imperative to get the "perfect" intellisense list. Customers like me are actually happy with a less than perfect completion list with false positives. It's the complete lack of any authoring help that is bugging everyone here. Even a simple text-based context-insensitive flat completion list filtered by prefix would go a long way.
Posted by KenL4 on 10/9/2010 at 8:13 PM
Yes, please add intellisense for C++/CLI. Using an Edit build without CLR and Debug/Release builds is a pain and waste of time with the constant switching.
Posted by sannagy on 10/7/2010 at 1:19 PM
It is a pain to use VS2010 C++/CLI without intellisense...
Posted by coadtoad on 10/6/2010 at 3:56 PM
I'll echo the displeasure of all who posted here (just for the record).
Posted by JamesZhou1 on 10/5/2010 at 8:24 AM
It is a joke. Isn't it?
Posted by Cameron Taggart on 9/29/2010 at 2:57 PM
It would be great to hear that this functionality is planned for Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 and for when the planned SP1 is roughly scheduled. Would it help raise the priority of this if more people voted for it?
Posted by codekaizen on 9/15/2010 at 5:32 PM
Can Microsoft give any more information about this issue?
Posted by jimocz on 8/26/2010 at 1:32 PM
I was cajoled into upgrading to VS2010 from VS2008 because "... the Intellisense is much better." What a shock when it didn't even work! How can you use C++/CLI without it? Should I go back to using 2 letter variables too? How about requiring line numbers? This stinks. After working for an hour I went back to VS2008.

I hope MS puts it back. That's what you get when you outsource.
Posted by dwestfall on 8/24/2010 at 4:57 PM
WOW! just found this little gem. To bad i did not see it before i installed visual studio 2010 and convert my projects. You guys never fail to amaze me. Thanks for breaking the best tool around. But hey at least we have a nice WPF GUI right?
Posted by AceHack on 8/13/2010 at 11:18 PM
Please I need your help Microsoft, bring it in a SP. Thanks :)
Posted by 6XGate on 8/11/2010 at 3:24 PM
This is more than a slap in the face from Microsoft for C++ developers. They only implement half the finalized C++0x features, which I can understand being a big job to finish, but then they REMOVE C++/CLI IntelliSense support. THIS PRODUCT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN RELEASED WITHOUT IT. Feature regression is actually considered normal when adding other new feature that affect the regressed feature, but completely removing it is not only unheard of, but UNACCEPTABLE.
Posted by jekain314 on 8/7/2010 at 8:29 PM
what an outpouring of pain from those that have supported MS over the years --- the core C++ developers were once the top of the trade ... I've returned to 2008 to keep my sanity while my teammates laugh at my pursuit of an obviously dead language. But what is most surprising is the absense of a voice from MS on this site (since dec 2009) while the pleas for some glimmer of hope go begging.
Posted by JamesJohnston on 8/4/2010 at 10:39 AM
We use C++/CLI to easily interface unmanaged blocks of performance-critical code with the .NET Framework. We also use it to interface with a massive, native 3rd-party C++ library important to our application. But we wanted to take advantage of the high level of functionality available in the .NET Framework and to easily interface with C# code.

We also use it to interface with and test C code that runs on an embedded device.

We're still using Visual Studio 2008. This problem is insane. Every Visual Studio IDE I've used since the mid-90s has had IntelliSense. We would like to move to VS2010 at some point but this issue is a big deal. Using a massive library like the .NET Framework without IntelliSense is simply not realistic. Are we expected to wait a few years until the next Visual Studio release comes out? (seeing as how this one is apparently half-baked).

Or are you, like others have wondered, eventually going to kill C++/CLI? Omitting a basic feature like IntelliSense makes me question the long-term prospects of this very unique and incredibly useful language that seems to combine the best of both native and managed worlds. If so, please just come out and publicly obsolete it instead of letting it languish.
Posted by yuval ben zvi on 8/1/2010 at 10:33 PM
Hi
I working with VS since 1995
I can't working like that with vs2010.
Micosoft please take care of your Customers
Posted by IamSchleprock on 7/12/2010 at 2:45 PM
Jeez, I hope I don't get fired for purchasing a completely worthless upgrade. This falls into the "What the hell were you thinking!?" category.
Posted by liam09 on 6/28/2010 at 10:55 AM
Just when we were going to start switching to MS products, they pull a stunt like this. I don't have a desire to use c#, and why include c++ without intellisense? It is like writing a document without spell check; its 100% possible, but why do it? Looks like next decade...maybe
Posted by mud209 on 6/22/2010 at 5:43 AM
Absolutely RUBBISH. You can't just replace intellisense that's alright with NOTHING.

Also, as well as intellisense, the whole new WPF IDE experience is SLOWER, meaning a serious double step backward for productivity!!

If it wasn't for the C++0x features, I would be going back to the previous versions of my projects.
Posted by jekain314 on 6/21/2010 at 4:00 PM
guess i lost the ongoing C# vs managed C++ debate here in our shop --- going back to the interop dll hell is better than grappling with the non-intellisense CLI codebases. Maybe that's exactly what MS had in mind ...
but then --- maybe we should develop in C# with access to intellisens and then re-write the code to C++/CLI ...
Posted by peterg4000 on 5/18/2010 at 6:30 AM
Madenss. Utter madness.

Please fix.
Posted by Eugene Ivanchenko on 5/11/2010 at 5:38 AM
Real bomb from microsoft.
Order studio, convert and adapt projects to find that no cli intellisense.
It is a great problem for projects larger 2 files.
I really hope that it will be fixed in short time.
In other case it shows that microsoft ignores customers opinion.
Posted by Samuel N Skuce on 5/6/2010 at 11:11 AM
This is a rather embarrassing choice on Microsoft's part. I use C# most of the time, but I have old C/C++ libraries that I need to interface with in .NET. I could rewrite those old libraries in C#, but isn't one of the cardinal rules of this job "don't reinvent the wheel"?

Even if the old engine was buggy and slow, it would have been better to include something that works 80% of the time than nothing. Yes, you still would have gotten complaints, but it still would have been better for your paying customers.
Posted by bouncer1234 on 5/6/2010 at 8:06 AM
This is pathetic Microsoft.

I'm getting really tired of your pro C# / VB crap languages support (no really, that's what these unportable languages are).

Like others said, how dare you do this to the MOST POPULAR language there is?! No time? You gotta be kidding me. Whoever decided this should be fired immediately. This is a HUGE mistake. You want more people turn away from your products? Go ahead with shit like that. And yea, as someone else noted, your new intellisense engine isn't faster at all, so what? Seems your wasted a lot of time and money there. And why don't you at least provide the old engine for C++/CLI?

PLEASE, correct this mistake ASAP with a FREE service pack. Demanding your customers to pay for a new expensive version would be the next biggest insult. Don't do this.
Posted by Michel4CE on 5/5/2010 at 4:51 AM
Hi VSTeam,
Are you sleeping ?

I cannot understand such a regression.
What MS want to ?
Intellisense in critical for C++/CLI dev. C# or VB is not an option for the C++ community.
VS2010 is suppose to be better than VS2008, Intellisense was support in VS2008.
If this feature is by design.. .then please correct you mistake and add Intellisense in the first SP.

Reagrds,
Michel
Posted by GameDog on 5/2/2010 at 1:24 PM
I thought this was just a Visual c++ Express problem, but it looks like its for ALL versions!? Is it possible to have this fix even before a service pack? Like in the windows update?
Posted by sugargem on 4/28/2010 at 12:18 PM
Intellisense has to be added to VS 2010. Microsoft does not want to have such a big feature missing in a complete release of the Visual Studio product. Visual Studio 2010 will become known the version that didn't have quite enough time to get things right. Or the Visual Studio version that most people skipped (like Vista) waiting for the next better version.
Posted by Anonymous5484 on 4/28/2010 at 10:52 AM
I work in the embedded space and use VS C++/CLI for prototyping new features. The lack of Intellisense is painful beyond measure.
Posted by Dr. Augend on 4/27/2010 at 10:21 AM
I can not believe that. one of the major reasons I didn't move to Linux or other OS was Visual studio and its Intellisence. After this I dont see firm reasons to...
Posted by GregConnected on 4/23/2010 at 11:49 PM
Aargh! I just realized what it is like to use a massive library like the .Net Framework without intellisense. Life is too short for this nonsense.

Please fast track this for a service pack or better.
Posted by lindsayian on 4/22/2010 at 8:01 AM
I understand that this is scheduled for Visual Studio 11, but is there any chance at all that it may be in service pack 1 for Visual Studio 10? I have tried using VS 10 (was on VS 9), but it is now really quite painful developing for .Net in C++/CLI without either intellisense or usable context help.

Thanks
Posted by Raul Perez on 3/1/2010 at 5:26 PM
Hi,

We're interested in feedback about a future release of IntelliSense for C++/CLI. If you're interested in providing such could you send an email to

batul at Microsoft dot com

so that we can follow up with you about this?

Thanks!
Posted by routine on 2/16/2010 at 1:40 PM
This is a joke right?

To me this version of VS is incomplete and buggy. You guys are not ready for prime time.
Posted by Gideon on 2/7/2010 at 6:51 AM
I seriously cannot believe this! I've proudly been using C++/CLI for years to port and develop enterprise-level applications and now we're getting slapped the face. You cannot be serious!

How dare you add support F# like this and them claim you have no time to support the already established C++/CLI language? We need this badly, please.
Posted by Croow on 1/4/2010 at 4:10 PM
I found out about vs2010 dropping intellisense for c++/cli about a month ago and I still can't believe it. Unfortunately I can't target .Net 4.0 from vs2008, so the new framework is just as unusable as the new IDE.

I hope there's a public announcement whenever this gets fixed (sp1 ... sp?), maybe then I'll upgrade.
Posted by Azarien on 12/12/2009 at 1:21 PM
They could keep the old engine specifically for C++/CLI, while C# and native C++ would use the new one.
Posted by AviationPlanning on 11/28/2009 at 7:56 PM
This is just plain stupid... The kicker is that the new "fast intellisense" for native code is frankly just as slow as the old "slow intellisense". The only reason to use C++ on the Windows platform at this point is to integrate old/native code with .NET or build DirectX games. C++ has been handicapped with no ASP.NET/WCF/WPF/Silverlight support which would be ok if it was easy to integrate that code with .NET. Unfortunately, the lack of CLI integration features makes this path unfeasible.

Bottom line if you’re not going to fix intellisense and retain functionality then you shouldn’t have touched it. If you’re not going to give us good CLI support then remove it!
Posted by Eric NL on 11/21/2009 at 6:37 AM
Just another voice in support of this essential feature of a modern editor. The lack of Intellisense combined with the new "improvements" to the help system that make it more difficult than ever to find help on native functions is making writing C++/CLI code in VS 2010 a very painful experience indeed. If you're going to kill C++/CLI, at least come out and say it and take it out of Visual Studio rather than leaving it in this pathetic, barely-usable state.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/6/2009 at 4:20 PM
Hi FJSen,

We do plan on implementing C++/CLI intellisense in the future; however, I can't comment as to whether it will be in the service pack or the next release.

Thanks,
Mark Roberts
Visual C++ Team
Posted by FJSen on 11/2/2009 at 8:50 AM
Hi VS Team,

Do you plan to fix this issue in any future hotfix or SP?

Thanks in advance,

FJSen
Posted by Sarita [MSFT] on 10/29/2009 at 10:54 PM
Hello Simon,
Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately in this release we had to cut the intellisense support for C++/CLI due to time constraints. If you want to get some intellisense like quick info and memberlist on the native classes you can get it by choosing no /clr support in the project properties.
Thank You!
Visual C++ Team
Posted by jschroedl on 10/27/2009 at 9:59 AM
I opened this same issue in https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=459187 and it was closed as "by design" which Boris Jabes has confirmed in the vcblog.

I agree that this is a kick in the gut to those of us using C++/CLI. Let's hope it's corrected asap!

In my usage, I AM able to get Intellisense for my native files which are not built with /clr (we set it on a file-by-file basis). Little consolation but it's something.

John
Posted by Microsoft on 10/26/2009 at 11:52 PM
Thank you for your feedback, We are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com)

If at any time your issue is closed unsatisfactorily, you may edit your issue via Connect and change the status to “Active.”

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by vcomrhencke on 10/24/2009 at 3:30 PM
In a new C++ CLR Console project, any attempt to invoke intellisense results in a message in the status bar saying "Intellisense: 'Unavailable for C++/CLI'"