CL : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database '' - by ShadauxCat

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 10/31/2009 5:02:37 PM

I'm not really sure what to make of this issue.  It's telling me it can't open a database that doesn't have a name.  I don't know if it's related to VS, or to Windows, or what; I don't even have a name reported for the database it can't open, so I can't check on the file to see if there are problems with it.
Posted by 8Ika1oikXJA8H on 5/8/2014 at 10:34 AM
My problem is with a clean copy of vs 2013 and a simple win32 C++ project (however I have all earlier versions installed and well used). I have limited the platform to a max of one thread but this does not remove the problem.

------ Rebuild All started: Project: FindSimilar, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
stdafx.cpp
h:\visual studio 2013\projects\findsimilar\findsimilar\stdafx.cpp : fatal error C1033: cannot open program database 'h:\visual studio 2013\projects\findsimilar\findsimilar\debug\vc120.idb'
========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

problem does not occur on a win64 release platform with the same code.

Posted by Tungnn_Vietnam on 5/3/2012 at 3:53 AM
I also faced the same problems. I use Visual C++ 2010 Express in Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. My workaround was simple but it did work (at least for me):

- I set the compatibility mode for VCExpress.exe to run in Windows XP SP3 (checked the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for" Windows XP (Service Pack 3)).

- I opened my project, rebuilt it and faced the same problem.

- I uncheck the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for" Windows XP (Service Pack 3), opened the project, rebuilt it and the funny thing happened: I built it without any error.

Try to see if this can work for you!
Posted by Deruijter on 5/3/2012 at 12:44 AM
While working on an older C++ project I also encountered this problem.
I was using VS2010 professional on Windows 7 Professional SP 1

Unfortunately, unchecking the "Run this program as Administrator" flag did not work for me. It did however show me I had "Windows XP SP3" compatibility mode enabled (I had this enabled due to a different issue with VS2010).
After removing the compatibility mode the error no longer occurred.
Posted by jorgediogo1 on 9/15/2010 at 2:52 AM
I suffered for a while with this problem but then managed to find a solution:

Before installing VS2010 I had VS2005 installed, running on Windows 7 64. To have VS2005 run without problems on Windows 7 it must be run as Administrator so I changed VSLauncher.exe (the helper that launches the right version of Visual Studio for each project) to enable "Run this program as Administrator" on its properties. This was before installing VS2010.
After installing VS2010, VSLauncher.exe was overwritten with the VS2010 version but the "Run as Administrator" flag remained set, apparently causing this C1033 error on every compilation of VS2005 and VS2010 (even newly created empty projects). This would only happen when double-clicking the .sln file. When launching Visual Studio directly no problems happened.

Removing the "Run this program as Administrator" flag of VSLauncher.exe made everything work well again!
Posted by ShadauxCat on 11/24/2009 at 11:37 AM
I haven't experienced the problem again, strangely. It seems to be working fine now. I have no idea what changed, but as it's no longer an issue and no one else seems to be experiencing it, it's probably best to write it off as a freak occurrence.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/24/2009 at 11:21 AM
Because we never see this during our in-house testing, given that everything works for you in a VS console but doesn't inside VS IDE, we suspect it is probably due to some incorrect IDE settings.

Since we haven't heard from you for a while, we will close this issue at our end. Please feel free to reactivate it if this still blocks you or you have other concerns or questions regarding this.

Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/9/2009 at 11:00 AM
Since compilation done within a VS console seems always working, next time when C1033 shows up (from your description it is fairly easy to get C1033 on your machine), could you copy the exact cl command line from the build log and run it in a VS console, and see if C1033 occurs?

Thanks.
Posted by tivadj2 on 11/8/2009 at 2:09 PM
I don't know if my issue will regard original problem. There is my way to reproduce such an *error*.
1. Right click on VS2010B2 shortcut and set to run it in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP3.
2. Run it. Accept Windows request for administrative permissions.
2. Compile any C++ project. Get fatal error C1033: cannot open program database.

Really I run into it accidentally.
Hope it will help.
Posted by ShadauxCat on 11/7/2009 at 4:14 AM
mspdbsrv.exe is running.

The installation was complete with the exception of SQL server, office tools, and any language other than C++ or C#.

where mspdvsrv.exe gives:

E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC>where mspdbsrv.exe
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\mspdbsrv.exe
E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Performance Tools\mspdbsrv.exe

I did not see the error when running from command line, even though the graphical interface gave me the error both before and after the successful execution in the command line. Restarting visual studio at this point didn't help.

I don't feel that uploading a project file would be very helpful, as this error shows up IMMEDIATELY when I create a new, empty console project in C++, without my making any modifications to it at all; I will, however, submit one later today.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/4/2009 at 1:45 PM
Could you please check the following:

1. Before and after C1033 error showed up, was there any mspdbsrv.exe running?
2. Does your machine have a complete VS installation?
2.1 Or, in a VS command prompt, what is the output from "where mspdbsrv.exe"?
3. In a VS command prompt, try "cl /Zi /c hello-world.cpp" and see if C1033 shows up.

Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/4/2009 at 12:57 AM
Thanks for reporting this issue.

In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Please provide us with a demo zipped project file so that we can conduct further research.

I have created a Workspace for you. Please upload file to it.

Password is @0j)2)d]@hG

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by ShadauxCat on 11/3/2009 at 1:19 PM
After rebooting again, I once again have the same error even on existing projects that were previously compiling.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/2/2009 at 12:45 AM
Thank you for your feedback, We are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted.