ASP.NET ISAPI registration is left behind after uninstalling .NET Framework 4 - by aractnido

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 12/8/2009 10:59:52 AM

In IIS Manager (Vista/7), if you go to ISAPI and CGI Restrictions after uninstalling the .NET Framework 4, you will see that there the ASP.NET 4 entries are still in the configuration system, even if the DLLs has been removed.

ASP.NET V4.0.nnn (64-bit)
ASP.NET V4.0.nnn (32-bit)

build RC1Rel.21123.00
Posted by aractnido on 12/15/2009 at 11:15 AM
I was able to repro this issue in my office with Jim (jimwa). This is Windows 7 (IIS 7.5) and there is new code to load the CLR using the managedRuntimeLoader attribute in applicationHost.config (IIS_Schema.xml).

1. IIS 7.5
2. Install .NET Framework v4.0.21208
3. Create a folder C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.11111 (to simulate that a previous folder was left behind)
4. Do request to aspx page

Fails
Posted by aractnido on 12/14/2009 at 3:46 PM
It does causes an issue with WCF/IIS in the way .NET versions are discovered. Again, please send me an email to repro the issue. I'm danielvl@microsoft.com

I can give you TS access to any test machine that I have, the repro is easy.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/14/2009 at 3:42 PM
We were able to reproduce this internally. We determined that this will not cause and issue when uninstalling .NET 4 Beta 2 and then installing .NET 4 RC or RTM. Due to how late we are in the cycle of .NET 4 we will not fix this in .NET 4 because we do not want to risk it affecting the stability of the RTM product. We plan to look at this again in the first service release. Thanks for the feedback!
Posted by aractnido on 12/11/2009 at 10:31 AM
I'm going to leave for vacations, but let me update the repro.

1. Install Windows Vista 7 64-bit Ultimate
2. Install IIS with ASP.NET 2.0
3. Install Visual Studio 2010 RC1 (21123) (not only .NETF)
4. Verify that in IIS Manager|ISAPI and CGI Restrictions ASP.NET 4.0 is registered in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
5. In IIS Manager, go and change the "Default Web Site" to run in ASP.NET 4.0 64-bit (I think this is optional, but try it)
6. Verify that http://localhost works
7. Uninstall Visual Studio
8. Uninstall .NET Framework client extension
9. Uninstall .NET Framework

The following items are left behind:
1. The \windows\microsoft.NET\framework[64]\v4.nnn folders
2. In IIS Manager at server level, int he ISAPI and CGI Restrictions there is still the .NETF 4.0 entries.

I'm a dev in IIS team, my alias is danielvl, feel free to contact me if after this repro steps you are not able to repro it, but it has been happening since the Beta, but I never care about reporting it, I go and manually remove the stale entries, I had repro this consistently. Thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/11/2009 at 1:26 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please upload a setup log file to help us investigate the issue?
You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Visual Studio Product Team