Setup process gets stuck at "Executing action VsaEnv_Setup_x86_enu" - by Larry Seltzer

External<br /><br />
		This item may be valid but belongs to an external system out of the direct control of this product team.<br /><br />

ID 520167 Comments
Opened 12/14/2009 4:41:27 AM

I was following the instructions for setting up a SharePoint 2010 developer system at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee554869(office.14).aspx and was near the end at "1.Install Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 Professional."

The VS Setup process got to the actual "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional Beta 2" component and listed the action as "Executing action VsaEnv_Setup_x86_enu” and just stayed there. After about 12 hours I gave up and tried to cancel. The UI setup process still responds; the Cancel button pressed and and the widow moves around, but it doesn't seem to be responding to the Cancel request. It's not obvious what process I should kill; I guess "setup.exe *32" but there are two msiexecs there too.

I note that it got stuck on an "_x86_" action, but I've been installing everything on this system as x64. I thought I downloaded and installed the x64 version. I'll have to check that.

The system is P4 5GB RAM running Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Follow-up: I rebooted and attempted uninstall of VS2010 Pro and it too stalled, this time while "Executing action:DDConfig_Uninstall_x86". There's that x86 again.

One more follow-up: I uninstalled as much as possible then re-ran the web-based installer and told it to "Repair." It made it almost all the way through then at the same stage as above ("Executing action VsaEnv_Setup_x86_enu") I got a message box with a tilebar of "Vsaenv": "Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application."
Posted by Microsoft on 1/7/2010 at 1:20 PM
Thank you for your feedback!
Scott
Posted by Larry Seltzer on 1/2/2010 at 5:08 AM
The whole issue has become moot to me. For timing reasons, I can't use the 64-bit versions anymore.

You can close the issue
Posted by Larry Seltzer on 12/19/2009 at 7:30 PM
OK, uploaded
Posted by Microsoft on 12/16/2009 at 10:30 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please upload a setup log file to help us investigate the issue?
You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Visual Studio Product Team