Put "Visual Studio 2010" folder in AppData, not in My Documents. - by Domenic Denicola

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 12/20/2009 9:17:48 AM

For some reason VS2010 has decided that such gems as Backup Files, Code Snippets, Projects, Settings, StartPages, and Templates are "documents," and thus belong in My Documents folder. This is polluting my user space:

Please either move all this crap to AppData, or create a simple configuration entry to move it all there. That's where it belongs.
Posted by Sumo-G on 10/4/2011 at 5:29 AM
I have to second @danloughney's issue. In corporate environments, My Documents may be redirected to a SAN or some other storage to allow easier backup of documents and other files for users that don't know any better. Developers now get stuck with this and it kills performance, or worse, crashes Visual Studio, only to reload it to find you've lost all of your settings. This is likely a larger issue in corporate environments still running Windows XP as Windows 7 deals with redirected My Documents much better, but it's no excuse for these files to pollute that folder. This bug was put in as an annoyance issue. To us, this is a work stoppage issue. We cannot just willy-nilly upgrade to Windows 7, either. Some corporate environments have thousands of machines to manage/secure and this is just not an option.

My workaround is that I edited the registry, but my guess is that VS still puts stuff in My Documents from what I'm reading here so far.

Personally, I think this bug should be elevated and dealt with in VS2010 (also something which teams can't just upgrade to vNext whenever you tell us to).
Posted by danloughney on 9/12/2011 at 2:56 PM
I'm getting killed by this setting. In my firm, "My Documents" is on a share on a secure server in the data center. When I am working remote, I get a load of errors since the path can't be accessed. When I'm online with my VPN, VS2010 performance just dies. Every touch to a file or complile attempts to save info back to My Docs and over a 3G link, I'm knocked completely out of the water.

Tried changing the settings in the Options dialog as suggested, but I then get "\\myfullpathtomydocuments\c:\mylocaldocuments\path" cannot be found.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/23/2009 at 3:24 PM
P.S. I will be closing this bug as 'Won't Fix" since we will not be able to address this in Visual Studio 2010. We will be reviewing all "Won't Fix" bugs when we start planning the next release.

Suzanne
Posted by Microsoft on 12/23/2009 at 3:22 PM
Hello Domenic Denicola,

Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback on Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 and for suggesting that we move the directories that Visual Studio needs to create under AppData. Unfortunately at this point in the Visual Studio 2010 release we aren’t able to make this change, but I have added your feedback (and the community votes) on this to our feature backlog which will be consulted when we start planning the next release of Visual Studio.

Suzanne Hansen, Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Shell Team
Posted by Microsoft on 12/22/2009 at 8:55 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.

We were able to reproduce the issue you are seeing. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by David A Nelson on 12/22/2009 at 8:54 AM
Reported numerous times already, but important enough to be reported again. Visual Studio is setting a very bad example that other applications are unfortunately following. It is called "My" Documents for a reason.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/21/2009 at 3:23 AM