"Requested registry access is not allowed" creating project in VS 2010 - by SailinginBC

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 12/21/2009 5:11:36 AM

I have just installed Visual Studio 2010. If I try and create any VB project I get the error:
"Requested registry access is not allowed"  and the project is not created.

I have tried running as administrator, but it makes no difference.

After installing 2010, the same problem appeared in VB 2008, however I fixed that with a subacl batch file.
Posted by GP_2010 on 6/26/2010 at 9:11 PM
I also had the same problem with VS 2010 and Vista OS .Solution mentioned @ http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vbexpress2008prerelease/thread/c273b0e1-7f46-4065-afaf-4edf285d2531 fixed issue for me.

1. Download and install the SubInACL utility.
2.Take a back up of registry and run

cd /d "%programfiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
Posted by Andrew Weesner on 6/15/2010 at 5:50 PM
It is a permission issue in the registry. Why would the Visual Studio 2010 related entries change? My Visual Studio 2008 entries still work fine.
Posted by Andrew Weesner on 6/15/2010 at 5:49 PM
Same exact problem when I try and create a Windows Forms project or a ASP.NET Web Application or a ASP.NET MVC2 Web Application. I noticed this occured after I downloaded and installed MV2 from ASP.NET.
Posted by Frogger21 on 4/22/2010 at 3:47 AM
I had exactly the same problem in VB Express 2010 until I changed the permissions on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VBExpress.vbproj.10.0 and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VBExpress.Launcher.vbproj.10.0 and ownerships and it's at least allowing me to create a new project now...
Posted by Mike Wohletz on 2/7/2010 at 10:50 AM
I have this same problem, however the posted fix did nothing for me.
Posted by Dustin [MSFT] on 1/19/2010 at 10:19 AM
Hi,

Thanks for contact us about this issue -- we've heard of this problem before. To date, we have been unable to repro the issue, but there is a known workaround:

1. Press WINDOW+R to open the Run window, type "regedit" (no quotes) and press ENTER to execute. If a UAC dialog appears choose Yes to open the Registry Editor with elevated priveledges.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes.
3. Create a new key named ".vbproj"
4. Run VS 2010 as an administrator.
5. Try creating a VB project.

Please let me know if the steps above workaround the problem. You can reach me directly at dustinca@microsoft.com.

Kind Regards,