Visual Studio IDE does not resize correctly in Vista x64 by spiderwheels

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 1/15/2010 3:40:17 PM

I am using VS C# Express 2008 as an example but this seems to apply to all editions including VS2005

Notes:
Opinion on the internet is that there is a limit to the number of times the WM_SIZE message can recurse down a control hierachy and this limit is due to the size of the windows kernel stack.

It is also suggested that any code (e.g. another application) that hooks into WH_CALLWNDPROC reduces the recursion limit further.

The issue does afflict 32-bit windows but for some reason the recursion limit is larger and most applications avoid it

Rather annoyingly it is only Visual Studio that has enough nested controls to exhibit this issue.

The solution seems to be to ensure WM_SIZE is called iteratively instead of recursively if large numbers of nested controls are going to be used.

Another solution is to have a shallower control hierarchy.

I understand it is also an issue on Windows 7 x64 and that is likely to be as common or more common than 32-bit
Posted by DieterDHoker on 1/25/2012 at 2:28 AM
I have windows 7 64bit on a HP 6560b laptop, this problem was driving me nuts. Workitem controls were always messed up, when i resized visual studio 8 out of 10 my editor was messed up. Also elsewhere i experienced these problems, like when resizing the Services panel. I was looking for programs to uninstall that might have a hook and I just uninstalled HP protecttools security manager (and related programs) and the problem seems to be a lot better now..
Posted by MDominik13 on 3/11/2011 at 10:13 AM
I have this problem with all of my Microsoft development tools (SSMS, VS 2008 and VS2010). Has there been any progress made towards fixing the issue? This is extremely annoying.
Posted by RYork on 12/22/2010 at 2:53 PM
For me this effects SQL Server Management Studio 2008, Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2008. The problem is as described above. This is very disruptive in my daily usage of these programs.

Has anyone else discovered any workarounds for this? When it happens, the only thing that will help is to add a split pane and then remove it.
Posted by Troy Schuetrumpf on 12/1/2010 at 4:02 PM
Very annoying, everytime i maximize a MS SQL Studio 2008 r2 window the Query and output windows do not redraw correctly. They only war around it is if i have a 2nd query window, maximize with that one then switch windows.

As said before extreamly frustrating on a daily basis...

Win 7 x64 Prof
Posted by Boyne on 6/4/2010 at 12:55 AM
Definately happening on Windows 7 x64, really annoying.
Posted by xerocontrol on 5/25/2010 at 1:35 PM
I have the same problem too. Windows 7 x64 Professional. This is really frustrating.
Posted by Tadeusz on 3/18/2010 at 2:59 AM
Same here - Windows 7 x64 with Visual Studio 2008.

With all due respect, if you understood how much frustration it causes, you'd fix that.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/25/2010 at 9:00 PM
Hi, spiderwheels,

I am from WPF/Silverlight designer team of Visual Studio. Thanks for your report.

We understand the frustration this window resize issue can cause. Unfortunately, this issue does not currently meet the servicing/hotfix bar for this feature.

Thanks to shell architecture change in Visual Studio 2010, this issue should no longer exist for Visual Studio 2010.

The RC build for Visual Studio 2010 can be downloaded from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/dd582936.aspx. Please give it a try and let us know of your feedback.

Thanks again,
Zhanbo Sun
Visual Studio Product Team
ZhanboS AT Microsoft DOT com
Posted by ZachBaker on 2/5/2010 at 8:55 AM
I can and continue to see this on any version of VS 2005 or newer, or SQL Management Studio 2005 or newer, on any Windows x64 OS.

Please MS, get a fix out.
Posted by stefan_sp on 1/28/2010 at 6:08 AM
I think I have the same problem.
I am running
Windows 7 Ultimate (64 Bit)

I have resizing problems in Visual Studio 2008 (especially the workitem editor of the Teamfoundation Server) and the SQL Server Management Studio.
Windows are not correctly resized after changing the size of the parent window.
In case of the workitem editor even the initial window layout is broken.
This is really annoying and is preventing me from working with the workitem editor in Windows 7).

One question to get a short term solution:

If this issue is related to this article:

And -if - the situation is getting worse due to a system wide hook (as indicated above): is there a way to find the program which has set such a hook??

Please help, this is really a problem.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/17/2010 at 11:39 PM
Thanks for your feedback.