VS2010 Very High Memory Usage & Very Slow! - by Nathan Zaugg

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 1/21/2010 8:39:35 AM

I've been working on a Silverlight 3 project for about 3 hours now and the entire time the IDE has been eating through memory and the IDE has slowed down to the point where it's not practicle to type in the XAML editor (each key stroke taks a second or two to appear).  It is also taking a few min's to build a very simple Silverlight 3 app & Web Project.  Eventually it becomes so slow that the IDE crashes.
Posted by speciesUnknown on 8/26/2011 at 7:25 AM
VS is really struggling badly on my 2gb laptop. It is paging out constantly - it seems that after a while of doing one thing, something else has paged out.

This jeapordised my submission of my entry into a competition using XNA and 2010 express, as I spent most of my time waiting for VS to page in and out as I switched between VS and chrome while making my submission.

Did the same guys who made vista use so much memory work on VS? The guys who think you have to cache absolutely everything, even if it means you spend more time waiting for a page file than it would take to regenerate that info?
Posted by jmarsch on 5/3/2011 at 10:00 AM
I dont' know for sure that this is the same problem -- I'm seeing very very slow performance, but devEnv isn't taxing memory too badly (500GB)
Posted by Haydn Robinson on 4/7/2011 at 5:21 AM
This has been marked as closed. What's the solution? Is there a fix being released for this?

I've seen this with my copy where sometimes just standard usage, (C# & winform development) causes the memory usage of VS2010 to bloat to nearly 3GB on my machine.
Posted by Jeremy SSG on 1/25/2011 at 5:15 PM
I'm running VS2010 SP1 beta with a memory Working Set of 2,931,872 K - nearly 3GB!
Still running though very slow.

Hard to say what's causing it but candidates might be Resharper, WPF, MSTest or moles
Posted by dswift1 on 1/5/2011 at 7:40 AM
Was this ever resolved? because I am getting exactly the same problem. Just an ordinary project in webforms and whilst editing using the IDE it is pausing for up to 20 seconds at a time. When you look in task manager low and behold devenv.exe is taking 98% cpu and has a memory size of 411,962K. I am using VS2010 and it is a year later since this bug was reported. Even typing delays by about 10 seconds making me want to give in trying to use VS2010. I used VS 2005 without any of these problems for years. Now I have paid a very considerable amount of money to upgrade and have a system which is virtually unusable.

Dave Swift
Posted by fourpastmidnight on 11/28/2010 at 3:14 PM
I've been working on an MVC2 and MVC3 app with jQuery and right now the IDE is pegged at 425MB of memory (starts out at about 100MB). My machine has slowed to a crawl, including IE. This IDE has been nothing but trouble. Should've done more stress testing, as obviously the stress testing performed was not "typical" or we wouldn't be seeing these problems. I'm very disappointed with such a flagship product...it has such great potential, but once again, something great is spoiled by performance problems.

Using VS2010 Ultimate RTM w/ TFS2010 on Win7 RTM x64 w/ latest updates, IE9 Beta 1 w/ latest updates (as of 27 Nov 2010).
Posted by jcg359 on 8/5/2010 at 5:29 PM
advice that works (no need to trace the application for this one): keep the cs files small - especially when memberes are intellisense commented themselves. ive transported my large heavily commented classes to partial cs files.
Posted by tom.nisbet on 6/30/2010 at 3:04 PM
I have the same issues as the person who originally posted. My setup is a little different. I am running VS2010 Premium and have the same 'memory leak' problem while running a Silverlight 4 application. After starting DEVENV.exe it is running at approx. 83,000k. After loading a solution that jumps to approx. 325,000k (not to unreasonable as it is a rather big project). I begin the debug process it levels out around 435,000k (again not unreasonable). The problem comes when I close the application and the memory stays at approx. 435,000k. I run the same process again and it levels out at approx. 445,000k I can continue to make slight modifications to the .xaml and .cs files and the amount of memory used by DEVENV.exe pretty much consistently rises. During re-compile/debugging memory usage jumps to a little over 600,000k but then goes back down when the program launches. There seems to be some sort of 'memory leak' or the garbage collection is not claiming 'unused' memory.

Any help would be appreciated.
Posted by Al-Muntathar on 5/14/2010 at 11:25 AM
I am using RTM and the DEVENV.EXE takes a very long time to start.
I have to boost process Priority to make it work.

Can you give us option to increase Devenv.exe process priority in the settings?

slider
|---------------|------------------------|---------------------------------|-------------------------| -------------|
low             below normal                 normal(default)                 above normal             High            Realtime
Posted by MoudyDE on 4/21/2010 at 2:29 AM
I have just uninstalled VS2010 Ultimate(Evaluation Edition), because the IDE suddenly becomes VERY VERY slow.

All actions(Open menus, switch sub windows, display a letter and even minimize/maximize the IDE) will use more than 5 seconds. It seems like something blocked the Message queue of devenv, because if you do an action, the IDE will not immediately response. But if it eventually does, it will perform the action in full speed(e.g. the animation of unfold menu is played smoothly).

I have traced events via procmon.exe. There is also some interest things in the log.

If an action is requested(e.g. Click menu), devenv.exe does a lot of query in register. And then suddenly, it does nothing. After a few seconds, it is continually doing the job. So there is a huge(3-5 seconds) gap in the event log.
The last query before the gap is usually about DirectDraw and Direct3D.
Posted by Mark [MSFT] on 4/20/2010 at 10:49 AM
秒大刀 - can you tell me what you mean by "boost"? I am not sure what that means?

Mark
Posted by miaodadao on 4/20/2010 at 12:47 AM
I'm using boost on VS2010, and find it tend to so slow. My machine has AMD 5000+ CPU and 2 GB RAM.
So I have to worray about moving my huge game project to 2010 or not.
Posted by Neo the 1 on 4/19/2010 at 6:46 PM
Just opening/closing solutions does not produce this problem. You have to do other 'real' actions like debugging, editing, etc.

I have to admit it's mysterious because it only happens in real life. Automated stress tests won't reproduce the problem.

I'll wait for the Service Pack. As usual, it takes time for a new product to stablize.
Posted by Mark [MSFT] on 4/19/2010 at 9:52 AM
Thanks for the response @neo_in_matrix; as I mentioned in my earlier post, if your expectation is that on closing the WPF project (or any other project type in Visual Studio) you will get back all the memory used when the package that handles that project type loaded, you will be disappointed. Packages in Visual Studio do not unload that way; they remain loaded until devenv.exe is shut down.

If you are seeing a steady growth in memory just by doing open/close/build/run of projects, we have many stress tests which do exactly this sort of thing on realistic customer sized projects and have not observed obvious leaks in our tests on the product. This is why I'd like to contact you directly and see whether there is something special about the projects you are working with. I understand if you're not able/willing to share these with us, but it is difficult to make any progress investigating this issue without.

Mark
Posted by Neo the 1 on 4/19/2010 at 9:38 AM
No, I think there is no need to contact you directly. (And I changed my screen name.)

Actually there are no specific steps. Just normal daily actions - start IDE, open projects, run/debug, close projects. As long as you try, you will see this problem over time.

Oh, I am using the RTM Trial version.
Posted by Neo the 1 on 4/19/2010 at 9:33 AM
Oh, I just tested this problem with a newly created WPF project.

The result is very disappointing. The memory goes up by 100+mb and stays high. When I close the WPF project, memory goes a little down.

This is very obvious that the IDE is leaking memory.
Posted by Mark [MSFT] on 4/19/2010 at 9:21 AM
Hi @Neo3

Are you using the final release of Visual Studio 2010 (the RTM bits)?

In terms of expectations, the current behavior of Visual Studio is (largely) that a package, such as the Windows Forms designer, the WPF/Silverlight Designer, etc, will not generally relinquish its reserved memory until devenv.exe is closed down or memory is reclaimed by the garbage collector which can happen in various circumstances.

If you are using the RTM bits and are seeing a steady climb in memory usage doing regular tasks, please can you contact me directly at mwthomas at microsoft dot com quoting connect ID 526312. I'd like to gather more specifics about your project, and what exact steps you're taking.

Mark
Posted by Neo the 1 on 4/19/2010 at 8:58 AM
Another aspect of this problem is that the IDE seems LEAKING memory!

On a fresh start, DEVENV.EXE takes only about 78mb on my machine. After opening several types of solutions (WinForm/C#/Web/C++), the memory goes up to about 250mb - this is reasonable since every type of projects has specific features and functions to store in memory. But AFTER this point, the memory goes up slowly and STEADILY and never goes down!

In the end, my machine is running out of memory and I have to restart the IDE.

Please, consider this as a high priority bug to fix - it's annoying.
Posted by Mark [MSFT] on 2/2/2010 at 5:43 PM
Hi NZ

Thanks again for tryign the WPF and Silverlight designer in Visual Studio 2010.

As you may already know, we've been doing a very large amount of work since Beta 2 shipped to reduce and eliminate memory leaks and other memory consumption issues across the whole of Visual Studio 2010, along with fixing a large number of functional bugs.

In the near future we will be releasing the Release Candidate build of Visual Studio 2010, which includes many of these changes. Once the RC ships, I'd request that you try working with your projects in it and confirm whether you are still hitting steady increases in memory usage and crashes as you have been doing.

If you are still hitting issues once the RC ships, please contact me via email at mwthomas at microsoft dot com, quoting ConnectID 526312, and I will re-activate this bug. If this happens, we will need to capture new crash dumps and performance traces at that time.

Thanks again for your help and for evaluating Visual Studio 2010.

Regards
Mark Wilson-Thomas
Program Manager, Silverlight & WPF Designer, Visual Studio
Posted by Nathan Zaugg on 1/27/2010 at 4:33 PM
Sorry in that last comment, Crashed = Hung.
Posted by Nathan Zaugg on 1/27/2010 at 4:32 PM
I have uploaded two trace files. One when I was about an hour and a half into the project another when it crashed. It crashed a little earlier than expected. As a result I don't have a trace of the really bad performance. I'll try again tomorrow, but hopefully these traces will help some.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/26/2010 at 9:34 PM
The tool is now at http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/e8649e35-26b1-4e73-b427-c2886a0705f4
Posted by Nathan Zaugg on 1/26/2010 at 8:49 AM
I must have waited too long to get the download. When I go to that link I get:

Receive Files
There are no files available to download.

I couldn't do it yesterday but I was planning on doing it first thing this morning.

Thanks!
Nate
Posted by Microsoft on 1/26/2010 at 12:48 AM
I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going on your end. Please get back to me at your earliest convenience.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/24/2010 at 10:23 PM
Hi NZ, please download and install Performance Diagnostic Tool to collect Diagnostic data. After that, please upload data file to workspace:

Password is HhXa{4*NN^hZ4_X

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Visual Studio Product Team