UnShelve pending changes missing from Solution/Project rightclick context menu - by Russ Harding

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 2/10/2010 6:25:07 AM

UnShelve pending changes missing from Solution/Project rightclick context menu.

This option is available by clicking on "File" --> "Source Control" --> "UnShelve pending changes".

This menu used to be avaible in VSTS 2005/2008.

I am using TFS 2008SP1 as my source control system.
Posted by bojingo on 9/6/2011 at 12:25 PM
I ALWAYS first instinctively go to the context menu for this.
Posted by StilgarISCA on 6/29/2011 at 11:46 AM
I understand this was by design, but this was actually one of the context menu items I used the most.
Posted by mlittle300 on 11/12/2010 at 1:45 PM
I agree the Unshelve option belongs on the context menu. Before I read this post I was opening Visual Studio 2008 to Unshelve my changes. Removing Cut, Copy, and Delete would have been a more effective way of un-cluttering the context menu as most people know the keyboard shortcuts for these commands. Providing customization of the context menu is really the ultimate solution.
Posted by Jimmy Byström on 5/28/2010 at 1:17 AM
I understand the reason but really don't like it. Why should I have to open another window to handle a "undo" of an action that I can performe from another window. If you should hide the method to unshelve a pending change you should also hide the method to shelve the pending change.

Its really confusing to have these two actions separated, if you want to make the context menu less cluttered let the user specify what options they want to have themself i.e. like we can select that options we have in the toolbar.

You say that Unshelve isn't related to the selected item in the SE but if I select an unchanged item I still have the option to Shelve pending changes which, following the same distinction, shouldn't be possible.....
Posted by Russ Harding on 2/11/2010 at 11:10 AM
I can live with that.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/11/2010 at 10:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback here. This change to remove the Unshelve option from the Solution Explorer context menu is actually intentional. This was done in an effort to un-clutter the context menu, and to remove options that aren't context specific (i.e. Unshelve is not related to the item selected in SE). One way to access the Unshelve option is by using the "View Pending Changes" context menu item, which opens the pending changes window that has a button to unshelve changes.

-Matt
Posted by Microsoft on 2/11/2010 at 12:51 AM
Thank you for reporting the issue.
We were able to reproduce the issue you are seeing. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and solution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/10/2010 at 7:02 PM