Cannot open a SQL Reporting Services .rptproj file by Aknittel

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 2/10/2010 3:25:36 PM

I cannot open a Visual Studio 2008 SQL Reporting Services RPTPROJ file.
Posted by kukabuka on 9/30/2011 at 9:49 AM
I will be building a virtual machine and installing vs2008 to support my reporting projects. I really don't trust vs2010 and all it's supporting components to run alongside vs2008 without problems. What a PITA.
Posted by RRRRyan on 6/28/2011 at 8:14 AM
How do you guys like us now? A year after the promise "we're working on it" and still using 2008 for reports. Reporting Services was one of the best things to come out of M$ in a long time and within a few short years they've managed to make it a flipping mess. Wanna bet this is a sign of things to come with these guys?

I agree completely with the workaround offered. Start learning the Open-Source alternatives before the Micro$oft bureaucracy just turns them into a whole bunch of little startups bouncing off of each other worse than DLLs from the 90s. I was stoked about Windows 8 at first (http://veracitek.net/blog/2011/06/windows-8-impressions), and then I realized, that the user interface folks have gone rogue just like the rest. In fact, I'd bet there have been some harsh words flying around the M$ conference rooms about the HTML5/JS direction. More proof that a corporation can just get too big to compete. We all know most execs are clueless. Bill Gates was NOT but Balmer? Going full speed into the ground and screwing over the developers in the process. WTG Microsoft. I'm just especially pissed today that I have to still have 2 versions of Visual Studio. I might as well have Crystal Reports, the process would be the same.
Posted by isaacwhanson on 8/13/2010 at 12:33 PM
"Business Intelligence Development Studio for Visual Studio 2010 is currently under consideration for future releases of SQL Server."

Why wasn't this included in an update to SQL2008 when VS2010 was released? Extremely stupid. Showing that M$ really doesn't care.
Posted by stegy on 8/11/2010 at 3:35 AM
This is MUST HAVE feature of VS 2010. I can not believe, that it is not supported in VS 2010. I'm expecting that Microsoft will add this feature at least in SP1!
Posted by NeilGrayCat on 5/20/2010 at 8:42 AM
I have to mirror the sentiment of somebody else above 'does anyone at MS actually use this in a real world environment'. BIDS 2010 should have been released in conjunction with VS 2010, MS Teams really need to start working together and realize that customers may use products from multiple teams together and they are not mutually exclusive. Please re-open this item, it never should have been marked as closed, and certainly never should have been marked as fixed.
Posted by Jo-Nathan on 5/14/2010 at 9:38 AM
I also have this same issue. I now have to consider switching back to VS08 after spending countless hours upgrading to VS2010. I was happy to jump on board to VS2010 considering all the issues surrounding Entity Framework and now I might have to experience that nightmare again since I can't use the new release. :(
Posted by MJ Hufford on 5/12/2010 at 7:43 AM
Any ETA on a fix? BIDS 2010?
Posted by justin.avalletta on 4/29/2010 at 12:59 PM
Seriously? For all the great things in VS 2010, now I have to split out my reporting and keep BIDS/VS08 installed? Does anybody at Microsoft actually USE their own products in an actual development environment where it isn't a perfect world?

This is NOT fixed.
Posted by davidshq on 4/28/2010 at 1:35 PM
Why is this case marked as closed/fixed? This issue is still occurring?
Posted by dataman777 on 4/27/2010 at 12:30 PM
Unbelievable! 90% of my work utilizes BIDS and Reporting! As it currently stands VS 2010 is near worthless to me!
Posted by Trhacz on 4/26/2010 at 12:42 PM
I cannot belive this. I cannot convert (open) my reporting projects, I cannot convert my mobile device projects, what is left? Winform and Web? I cannot use VS2010 at all due to complexity of solution files.
Posted by David Johnstone1 on 4/15/2010 at 10:09 AM
I must say this is worse than lame - it is totally unacceptable. This has been an issue for a number of releases now, and should have been resolved some time ago. Microsoft need to develop a version of the Business Intelligence development studio for VS2010 that suports SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services. It just feels like another example of different teams at Microsoft not being able to communicate or work together effectively.
Posted by David Lay M on 4/14/2010 at 2:54 PM
This is lame. How on earth are we supposed to create and maintain server reports for our application?? And no 2005 support either?? it's much more likely that I'll be downgrading to vs2008 to support my clients requirements (develop on sql 2005 database with reporting services) that they to suddenly upgrade all their stack to sqlserver 2008.
but wait, not even then we got server reports projects on vs2010 ... did I said this is lame?
Posted by Geert ten Napel on 4/2/2010 at 12:06 AM
Why is there no support for SQL 2005 reports?? It's like saying Office 2010 doesn't support .doc files... Is there a add-in underway for VS2010? because this article is closed as fixed, and i can't find a solution.
Posted by Shuckle on 3/10/2010 at 12:19 PM
My project was not created in BIDS but in Visual Studio 2008 and has the same issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/12/2010 at 8:56 AM
Visual Studio 2010 does not support Business Intelligence projects from SQL Server 2008 R2 or earlier. In Visual Studio 2010, if you attempt to upgrade a project that is created in Business Intelligence Development Studio, the upgrade will not succeed. Business Intelligence Development Studio for Visual Studio 2010 is currently under consideration for future releases of SQL Server.

SQL Serve Reporting Services
Posted by Microsoft on 2/10/2010 at 11:27 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 2/10/2010 at 7:06 PM
Posted by bpatin on 5/20/2010 at 1:08 PM
You must install either Visual Studio 2008 or SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Design Studio and use that to directly open a Report Server project, bypassing any solution file that previously included the report project. You can continue to use Visual 2010 for the rest of your solution.

Is this a bad situation? Yes. Tough. One reason people support Microsoft's monopoly is integration. But, apparently, Microsoft has gotten too big to continue to provide integration. If you want integration, you could use the open source Eclipse IDE with several languages and various report generation tools that work with it, such as Jasper Reports.