Incorrect project context menu height by Josip Medved

Active

Opened: 2/12/2010 2:48:55 PM

Project context menu that appears upon right-click on project has incorrect height on some project positions (distance from top).
I tested this on 120 DPI @ 1680x1050 system so this may have some impact also.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/15/2010 at 5:34 PM
Hello again.

We've published a hotfix for this issue available here:http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=31857

You will need to install a WPF update as well:https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=31777&wa=wsignin1.0

X86: NDP40-KB2413613-x86.exe
X64: NDP40-KB2413613-x64.exe

Thanks,

Matt Kaufman
Senior Program Manager, Visual Studio
Microsoft
Posted by Ldcroberts on 9/1/2010 at 4:45 PM
Not only does it show the wrong height, the mouse wheel doesn't scroll it - I have to hover and shake the mouse near the scroll positions - this is pretty ridiculous.
Posted by djs24356 on 8/16/2010 at 1:58 PM
I know this seems like a small thing, but I have to agree with the other commenters. This has to be fixed, and soon.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/10/2010 at 5:45 PM
Hello again. We are still very actively investigating possible fixes for this issue, and will update it as soon as more information becomes available. Thanks for your patience.

Posted by Luna Tick on 7/26/2010 at 3:25 PM
The context menus in VS2010 are infuriating. That includes that scrolling nonsense! At the very least it I could possibly live with it if one could scroll it with the mouse wheel. Most of us lowly developers rely on context menus for everything relating to productivity and this puts it right down the crapper (issue not helped by the nightmare of trying to customize the menus themselves in this "new" and improved version). My company has migrated to 2010 recently and every time I have to do something I want to first scream and then punch someone!
Posted by sgaap on 7/15/2010 at 1:34 AM
Please rethink the whole menu for the next release. It's much too large to display it like that. Consider grouping options in columns (http://is.gd/dsIiV) or behind buttons (http://is.gd/dsHSC) or other grouping methods. This also decreases the possibility the menu appears outside the screen. I work everyday in visual studio and everyday I stare at this menu trying to find what i'm looking for...
Posted by qs7000 on 7/6/2010 at 12:10 AM
That's easily the most annoying UI issue in VS 2010.
Please provide a hotfix for this, don't let us wait for SP1.
Posted by Sandro9967 on 6/18/2010 at 10:52 AM
I also registered so I could state my disappointment with this bug. This bug is very frustrating to me, an is a major reason why I still enjoy VS2008 more.
Posted by BTTodd on 5/24/2010 at 2:27 PM
Agreed, VERY annoying
Posted by itruemper on 5/21/2010 at 10:07 AM
Please fix this - it is incredibly annoying.
Posted by Colin Blakey on 5/19/2010 at 12:25 PM
Please give us the option to suppress the scrolling context menus and o back to the older VS2008 style.
Posted by QuickReference on 5/19/2010 at 5:09 AM
Wow - so annoying!! I registered just to vote this as a must fix ASAP!
Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov on 5/19/2010 at 4:14 AM
Needs to be fixed ASAP!
Posted by Baldie on 5/19/2010 at 1:21 AM
This needs to be fixed asap. Can't wait for sp1
Posted by ooswald on 5/12/2010 at 7:48 AM
Please fix this ASAP, it is *very* annoying. Having to wait for SP1 is frustrating.
Posted by Aaron Brown on 5/11/2010 at 11:07 AM
FFS. This is the most annoying bug I've seen in Visual Studio since you could hang the VS2005 c# text editor by defining a nested generic type.

_PLEASE_ fix this faster than a full SP cycle.
Posted by Adam12 on 5/11/2010 at 10:51 AM
Please, please please fix this bug - as others have said it is extremely annoying and time consuming. I am delaying our roll out VS2010 as a result of this. Even if it is just to give us the option to turn off scrolling menus althogether.

FYI Feedback ID: 495221 does not exist (or is at least not public).
Posted by Antelle on 5/10/2010 at 6:22 AM
This is very annoying bug, it should be definitely fixed, even if dirty WPF hack will be used for that.
Posted by Josh Kodroff on 5/3/2010 at 1:56 PM
You guys normally do an excellent job and make great products, but this bug is a killer. I would also like to see a hotfix as soon as possible.
Posted by Sebastien Van Bruaene on 4/30/2010 at 2:13 AM
Hello can this please be fixed asap ? This is responsible for a large decrease in productivity ...
thank your very much ...
Posted by Barry Kwok on 4/29/2010 at 7:29 PM
Pls fix this issue, it's very annoying
Posted by vcomrhencke on 4/23/2010 at 3:49 PM
srccode, that's either excellent satire, or a truly bizarre story.
Posted by Albert Meyburgh on 4/23/2010 at 1:47 PM
After migrating our company to this, many engineers handed in their resignation due to being unable to stand it. I've never seen so much flagrant language come out of engineers mouthes. I've subsequently been fired for letting this slip by our internal staging tests. The guy that took over my position is converting all the dev environments to use notepad++.
Posted by Michel Schmidt on 4/23/2010 at 1:34 PM
I can't stress enough how important this is to fix, I'm in the process of converting our project from 2005 and the current behavior is infuriating. This is not the experience I had envisioned for 2010 :-(
Posted by Microsoft on 4/21/2010 at 11:52 AM
Hi,

I want to reaffirm that we hear you on this issue and will fix this asap. Also for reference purposes this issue is a duplicate of Feedback ID: 495221.

Thanks
Posted by Funbit on 4/17/2010 at 2:27 AM
It's a pity that the problem hasn't been resolved yet :( I've finally moved to the VS2010 and this menu bug is the most annoying thing in the UI for me now :(
Posted by Frans Bouma - Solutions Design bv on 4/15/2010 at 12:05 PM
This was reported way on time for RTM, yet it was too late? And no-one inside MS saw the scrolling arrows and wondered ... "Gee, that's lame, why isn't the menu shown in full?" ?
Posted by Paulo Morgado on 3/14/2010 at 4:28 PM
It's not about big screen sizes. I've shrinked the VM screen to the smallest possible (640x480) and I still get scrolling arrows ona menu that fits the screen size.
Posted by Fabrice MARGUERIE on 3/13/2010 at 3:40 PM
I have the same problem, but I don't remember if it started with RC or Beta 2.
I'm at 1920*1200, and I shouldn't see this.

I have to scroll often, alternatively to the top to reach Build and to the bottom to reach Properties. It's a pain in itself, but in addition, often when I click on the top arrow to see the first menu items, the very first one gets clicked automatically when the scrolling stops.
Posted by orangy on 3/12/2010 at 2:58 PM
In vs2008 context menu shifts up or down to accommodate for full size. It is much better than current VS2010 style. Also note, that for nested menus it *can* shift up/down, i.e. top/bottom row is not necessary aligned with parent menu item.
Posted by Rdog Martin on 3/2/2010 at 5:46 PM
This is a step backward in usability from VS 2008. It is better to display the full context menu than to crop it, which forces us to scroll.
Posted by vcomrhencke on 2/23/2010 at 8:36 AM
This is extremely frustrating to work with - please reconsider fixing this for VS2010. In VS2008, the entire context menu would display if there was room.
Posted by David A Nelson on 2/17/2010 at 3:39 PM
This behavior makes it practically impossible to use popup menus with the keyboard.
Posted by Осака on 2/17/2010 at 3:15 PM
When popup menu appears, one of its edges (top or bottom) is always on the height of clicked point. And when menu is higher than both halves of screen (higher and lower from clicked point), it cropped. Right behavior - for large menus, not to place menu edge obligatory on clicked point.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/15/2010 at 5:27 PM
Thanks for reporting this issue. We have not been able to address this in .Net 4.0 though. We will certainly consider this for earliest opportunity that comes next. Thanks again.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/15/2010 at 4:40 AM
Thank you for reporting the issue.
We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution.These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/12/2010 at 7:10 PM
Posted by Jake 2.0 on 6/10/2010 at 3:44 PM
Keyboard shortcuts are available to many of the functions on context menus by default. You can customize and add new shortcuts in Tools >> Options | Environment | Keyboard
Using shortcuts is even faster than a non-scrolling context menu.
Posted by Michel Schmidt on 4/23/2010 at 2:16 PM
See duplicate issue 532806 (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/532806/context-menus-open-in-scrolling-mode-while-there-is-place-to-show-the-whole-menu).
File Name Submitted By Submitted On File Size