Unable to start debugging - by KubaKuba

Status : 

  Not Reproducible<br /><br />
		The product team could not reproduce this item with the description and steps provided.<br /><br />
		A more detailed explanation for the resolution of this particular item may have been provided in the comments section.

Sign in
to vote
ID 534198 Comments
Status Closed Workarounds
Type Bug Repros 0
Opened 2/17/2010 5:07:40 AM
Access Restriction Public


I have imported my VS2008 solution to VS2010 and targeted .NET Framework 4 (instead of 3.5), but when I try to run it, it says:

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging.
The Microsoft Visual Studio Remote Debugging Monitor has been closed on the remote machine.

When I run the exe, it runs ok.

System: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Windows 7 Enterprise x64
Visual Studio 2010 RC, IntelliSense hotfix (on one, not on the other), Team Explorer 2010
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/1/2010 at 5:28 PM

Unfortunately even with the detailed steps that you provided we were unable to get this behavior on our machines. We have seen some cases where Windows environment variables set by hardware manufacturers can cause this behavior, so that may be what is causing your problem.

We're glad that you have found a workaround for the problem, so we will unfortunately have to close this as "Not Repro" since we are not able to observe the same behavior.

Best Regards,
Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by KubaKuba on 2/23/2010 at 1:14 AM
OK. Please forget about my previous post about the clean install. I tried again and it still does that, it seems to be, however, dependent on if I clean the solution (and delete obj and bin subfolders) in the process. So, I have attached another file, XCase35.zip. It contains the solution for VS2008 as it was when I last debugged it in VS2008.
Now here are exact steps on how to reproduce the error. Since I don't know what exactly is causing it, forgive the steps where you need to fix my code.

1. Extract the XCase folder from XCase35.zip.
2. Set permissions on all files to "read/write" - they are read-only in the archive.
3. Open XCase.sln in VS2010 RC and click Finish to finish the conversion.
4. Click on properties on each project in the Solution Explorer and set the Target framework to .NET Framework 4.
5. When asked about the character encoding change to UTF-8 (it does that for 2 projects I guess) click OK in the dialog.
6. Try to debug, it contains several errors, so it won't work.
7. Add reference to System.Xaml in the Controller project (I wonder why it didn't add it automatically as it does with the other projcets? but that may be another bug)
8. Try to debug, it contains several errors, so it won't work.
9. Resolve reported ambiguities between .NET 4 and WPFToolkit in Controller.Dialogs.PSMClassDialog.xaml.cs by adding "Microsoft.Windows.Controls." before each occurence of the error
10. Try to debug, it still contains an error, so it won't work.
11. Gui: CommandlineArguments.Designer.cs: Add IResource interface (internal class CommandlineArguments : IResource) and this property implementing the interface:
ResourceManager IResource.ResourceManager
            get { return ResourceManager; }
& resolve missing namespaces by rightclick, resolve, and select the one that there is.
12. Try to debug, and there you go. It builds OK, but it does the Remote Debugger error.

Again, sorry for the long repro-steps.
Posted by KubaKuba on 2/23/2010 at 12:39 AM
OK, I have tried the whole process again and now it didn't do it. So I guess it needs to be a fresh install, and once you do the workaround I posted (select another platform in VS2010 toolbar and then switch back to All CPU), it stops doing it.

So the exact configuration it did it on (twice) were:
Windows 7 x64 (Ultimate, Enterprise)
Visual Studio 2008, Team Explorer 2008, Visual Studio 2008 SP1
Visual Studio 2010 RC, Team Explorer 2010 RC.

Then open the solution as you did and try to debug it.

Apparently, it is something possibly imported from VS2008 or set by default to something bad which then gets rewritten by switching platforms and then its OK.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/22/2010 at 12:00 AM
Thank you for reporting this issue. In order to research the issue reported, we must first reproduce in our labs. Unfortunately, we are unable to reproduce the issue with the projects you provided. We tried to repro with the following steps:
1. extract all files from "XCase.zip"
2. double click "XCase.sln" to open the solution on VS 2010 RC
3. press F5 to debug

No errors.

Could you please provide more steps/actions to help us reproduce the issue?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us this information as quickly as possible.

Thank you,
Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 2/19/2010 at 7:02 PM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(http://support.microsoft.com)
Posted by KubaKuba on 2/19/2010 at 2:15 AM
I have done some more testing. When I import the solution into VS2010 and leave the projects targeted at .NET Framework 3.5, it works OK.
(Except that Gui.CommandlineArguments.resx generates CommandlineArguments.Designer.cs where the class is not IResource, which can be fixed by manually adding the interface)

Only when I changed all the projects to target .NET Framework 4 (which required one project (Controller) to add reference to System.Xaml, which I did, and, to resolve duplicity between .NET Framework 4 and WPFToolkit, which I also did), it started to give this error message (although it builded OK, and I also ran a .NET Framewrok 4 Hello World! with no problems just to be sure).

Now I have verified this behavior on 2 machines running VS2010RC (Win7 Enterprise x64 and Win7 Ultimate x64)