Arrow keys stop working in editor - by bgs-264

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 2/19/2010 8:02:06 AM

Sometimes in the code window; all you can do is type text. The backspace and delete keys stop working (Posted previously by others and voted up by me) but in addition, the arrow keys stop working too so that all you can do is close the code page and re-open it at which time it returns to normal.

This also happens in the ASPX markup editor.
Posted by Socratees on 2/28/2012 at 3:05 PM
Happened to me (VS 2010 SP 1 + Resharper 6.1) when I tried to refactor.

The problem however gets resolved when you CTRL+TAB and go back to your old screen.
Posted by kantos on 2/24/2012 at 4:57 AM
This happened to me recently as well, however a few clues to add to the confusion:
1. The symptom went away when visual studio was launched in safe-mode
2. The symptom went away when I upgraded my version of resharper (from a nightly to a release build)

Conclusions:
1. this issue is probably the result of bad addon code
2. Visual Studio should NEVER let an addon prevent editing
3. This probably has to do with the fact that most addons do not handle events async.
Posted by csnyderasdfasdf on 12/12/2011 at 10:28 AM
Visual Studio, web application, sp1 and still have this same problem, does get annoying.
Hope its fixed by VS 2011
Thanks,
Chuck
Posted by Gabriel Tran on 10/18/2011 at 6:06 AM
Hello,
I am having the keyboard issue as well. It happens for all open windows in VS.
None of the workarounds work for me (Ctrl+Tab, close/open).
The issue started to happen only days ago (I did no't install/uninstall anything recently, K2 and DevExpress have been installed right after VS2010).
I have no choice but to close and reopen VS2010, and I mean close using taskmanager because I have a popup message saying I need to close a modal popup, which of course is nowhere to find.

Is there any news on this?

Thanks,

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer

CodeRush Xpress 11.1

Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

DXCore for Visual Studio 11.1
DXCore for Visual Studio

Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2542054) KB2542054
This hotfix is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2542054.

K2 for Visual Studio 4.0.4.0
K2 for Visual Studio

Refactor! for Visual Studio 11.1
Refactor! for Visual Studio

Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU (KB2251489) KB2251489
This security update is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU.
If you later install a more recent service pack, this security update will be uninstalled automatically.
For more information, visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2251489.

XtraReports package 1.0
XtraReports package
Posted by BLS-CDL on 10/13/2011 at 8:04 AM
I have the same problem, however, it usually (always?) affects Javascript files for me. It's been happening long enough I can't remember if I've run into it in C# files as others have mentioned. It happens >1/week on .js files, however, I rarely close my instances of VS anymore, and the bug seems to be directly related to what tabs are open on VS startup.

System:
AMD Phenom on 880G chipset
Windows 7 Pro x64 on OCZ SSD
IIS 7.5 running multiple sites
VS2010 SP1

Steps:
1) Open VS2010 as Administrator (for IIS access)
2) "Open Website..."
3) Choose a site I had been working on in a previous session that includes an open .js file in a tab
4) When trying to edit the .js, backspace and arrow keys do not work. Arrow Keys and Backspace DO work on other tabs (css, c#, aspx, etc)

Workaround:
1) Close non-working tab and reopen
2) Arrow Keys and Backspace now work
3) SOMETIMES (<1/month) i have to repeat this step twice before I get key functionality back.
Posted by Mark Ginnebaugh on 4/30/2011 at 5:43 PM
>> The Alt-Enter key combination fixes this for me.

This works for me also -- thank you.
Posted by MarkFred88 on 4/8/2011 at 12:30 PM
This little problem began about two months ago. The Alt-Enter key combination fixes this for me. Today I noticed how the problem shows.
I am currently developing a web application with several open aspx files, one master page and the default.css file. I have been routinely editing and testing these files all day. I just opened the default.skin file to create a new skin. After a cursor to position, selection and delete, the first press of the ENTER key is not working. Now it takes me back several months when I decide that I was tired of working on .skin files without the intellisense. I added this by following the procedure described within some help form.

Tools -> options -> Text Editor -> File Extension where I associated "skin" with the "User Control Editor". I had re-enter this again during the first week, because it stopped working, even though the original entry was still visible.

Hopefully this will make sense to someone

Regards,
Mark

Posted by Jakeonthenet on 3/22/2011 at 10:26 AM
You guys have GOT to fix this bug! I waited to see if SP1 would have a fix but no luck. It's driving me crazy as I spend 10+ hours a day inside VS2010.
Posted by Peter Csak on 11/16/2010 at 6:50 AM
I also get this problem, today about 5 times, that's why I started to search about it. I don't know how to reproduce it. In my case it occured always in c# code behind of an aspx page. I'm using VS 2010 prof. running on windows 7 prof.
Not debuging. I was using the following shortcuts in order: alt+tab (to browser), ctrl+r (to refresh) alt+tab, edit something in code (during that using ctrl+space frequently), and alt+b u (build project), than alt+tab, and so on...
Also may helps that my keyboard is hungarian, so to access ';' character I have to press "Alt Gr + ,"

However workaround helps (ctrl+tab 2 times).
Posted by Marc-Andre Turmel on 10/26/2010 at 2:24 PM
I also get this problem from time to time, probably several (5-10) times a week. It's a major annoyance, since affecting a task like editing code.
I would add to the problem description that, whenever I've experienced the problem, the "enter" key also did not work until I use the work-around.

I have found one way to repro the problem on my machine, here's how:
1) make sure you have more than one markup document opened in Visual Studio.
2) close your solution
3) Reopen your solution
4) Let one document be the active tab.
5) Start debugging the web application
6) Perform something in the browser opened to your web app
7) Go back to Visual Studio
8) You should be able to navigate the document you had active prior to starting the debugger, however if you switch to another markup document, you are then unable to use arrow keys, enter, backspace, but you can still type text.
9) If you stop the debugger now, the 'blocked' keys start working again. I have experienced cases when I needed to go back and forth between documents to enable it, but most of the time just stopping the debugger will work.

HTH
Marc-Andre
Posted by TimeTrips on 10/21/2010 at 1:27 PM
I check back every now and then to see if anything has changed but so far nobody has fixed this MOST annoying bug. This occurs to me just about EVERY day. I don't know the exact circumstances so I can't repeat it on demand but it seem to usually occur when in the HTML editor. The only thing that works for me is closing the window and reopening the code window. I also think that CTR-C/CTRL-V is also intermittent, I'm constantly highlighting something, CTRL-C then moving to past and CTRL-V does nothing! There is nothing in the copy buffer. I have to go back, rehighlight and try again. I gotten in the habbit of pressing CTRL-C 3 or 4 times before moving to the paste point just to be sure! (I don't know that this is a VS2010 issue, but it is annoying)

I have to say I have regretted upgrading to VS2010 from VS2008, The enhancements have not out weighed the annoyance factor.

James.
Posted by Simon Hart on 9/21/2010 at 2:30 PM
I get this same defect but unlike most people that has posted a comment I get the symptoms always. the work around doesn't work for me. The arrow keys when pressing the up arrow sets focus on the drop down class selection combo in the code view. Enter doesn't work nor does the back space key.

This is the worst defect I have ever experienced.

I have even uninstalled VS 2010 and reinstalled it but I still get the same problem. So this one machine this issue appears on is completly useless to me as I can't code on it. Do I have to reinstall the OS?!?
Posted by Daniel Smith on 8/10/2010 at 2:06 AM
This has just happened to me too. I don't have any exact repro steps either, but it's *definitely* a bug. I think this should be left open until it's actually resolved.

From what I remember, I was in the Regex editor plugin and I'd just closed the window, then selected some text and hit backspace which deleted the selected text. Then the arrow keys stopped working. When trying to close Visual Studio, I'm now getting the message:

"Microsoft Visual Studio cannot shut down because a modal dialog is active. Close the active dialog and try again."

However there are no modal dialogs open! Had to close VS from task manager.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/30/2010 at 3:56 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't heard back with a stable repro so I'm going to close the issue. If anyone can reliably reproduce this, let me know and I'll have our test teams try those scenarios.

Thanks,
Weston Hutchins
Program Manager - VS Platform
Posted by Microsoft on 7/6/2010 at 4:02 PM
Thanks for the extra information. Unfortunately, we were still unable to repro the issue after trying the new instructions.

We've tried a number of scenarios: simulating the loss of connection to SQL Server... Using Disable Theme to get the + on the tree views, having all the same windows open, coming from the focus from each one of them and navigating to the code from each one of them, and using a web site project through all of it.

I noticed that this issue has 5 votes -- has anyone else hit this issue that would be willing to share repro steps? I'll leave this open for a week and then close "No Repro". Of couse, we'll continue to monitor this bug in case a repro is found.
Posted by Gutek on 5/22/2010 at 12:16 PM
I have just reproduced this issue in RTM version of VS 2010, but I'm not able to tell you all the steps, what I remember I did was:

1) I've installed patch: Windows6.1-KB976127-v6-x64.msu
2) After system restart I've opened VS 2010 RTM and Chrome and in the mean time I've clicked "update" on skype.
3) After VS had opened, I was able to type new letters in Source editor of ASCX but I was not able to move up/down, left/right, delete, backspace
4) Windows defender said that is turned off, after installation of skype it had turned on
5) VS still had this issue, I've re-opened it - issue persists
6) after closing editor window and re-opening it, it started to work

this is for VS 2010 Ultimate RTM edition.
Posted by bgs-264 on 5/21/2010 at 12:10 AM
Hi Brittany, thanks for the reply, yes this is in the RC. Good to know it's fixed :)

Regards,
bgs264.
Posted by Microsoft on 5/20/2010 at 1:54 PM
Hi bgs264,

Thank you so much for the repro steps; that's the most helpful piece of information in cases like this. Based on your comment about whether this is resolved in the main release, can I assume you're still on the VS 2010 RC? For RTM, we did fix a bug with these exact repro steps (a superset of them, actually - I think you'll find switching to any tool window while IntelliSense is up will trigger the bug on the RC). If you're still seeing this problem on RTM, we're surprised and would definitely like to get to the bottom of the issue.

Could you confirm which build you're using? And as always, thanks for your feedback. We hope to hear from you soon.

Brittany Behrens
Program Manager, VS Platform - Editor
Posted by bgs-264 on 5/20/2010 at 8:34 AM
I have finally obtained repro for this, I don't know if it's resolved in the main release or not as we've not purchased it yet.

But:

Preparation:
1. Dock the Server Explorer on the left-hand of the IDE
2. Add a data connection to a SQL Server
3. Expand out the tables, and stored procedures

Make the bug happen
1. Open a code page - a .aspx.vb or just a .vb
2. Start typing something that brings up intellisense - "Dim X As" should do it - So you see the intellisense list
3. While the intellisense list is up, click into the Server Explorer and do expand out a table so you see its columns
4. Click back to your "Dim X As" line to start typing again

Now it will have triggered - The arrow keys, and backspace keys will not work but you will be able to type additional characters

I hope this can be re-opened or somebody will test in in the full release!
Posted by Lachlan01 on 3/22/2010 at 1:01 PM
I am also experiencing this annoying bug on regular occasions...

Working disconnected from network so that is not a factor for me, seems to be random.

Maybe another RC is in order??
Posted by Microsoft on 3/3/2010 at 2:19 PM
Hello bgs264,

Yes, I have received the recording - thank you. I will be passing this along to our QA team to help them get a repro.

Suzanne Hansen, Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Shell Team
Posted by bgs-264 on 3/3/2010 at 12:35 AM
Hi Suzanne,

I've emailed you the recording, you should have got it by now.
Let me know if you've not.

Regards
bgs264
Posted by Microsoft on 3/2/2010 at 9:51 AM
Hello bgs264,

Thank you for providing further information, and for recording a screen cast. Please email the recording to me at: suzanne.hansen (at) microsoft.com

If the email gets blocked due to size restrictions, I will set up a share where you can drop the file.

Thank you!
Suzanne Hansen, Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Shell Team
Posted by bgs-264 on 3/2/2010 at 6:47 AM
Suzanne

I have a video created using Community Clips. Please provide your email address and I will email it you (5Mb in size).

Thanks
bgs264
Posted by bgs-264 on 3/2/2010 at 1:55 AM
Hi Suzanne

The Community Clips is now installed and if it does happen again I will record a video to try to assist you.

Only one instance was caused by network outage, others have not happened in a period of network downtime.

Some information about my setup:
* Virtual machine created in VMWare LabManager
* VS 2010 RC
* Remote desktop running as mstsc /span to the VM
* VS2010 maximised - so spanned across the two monitors (which rdp sees as one huge display with /span)
* Web site project - a new build so not maintaining a huge site
* A total of 148 files, 19 folders (including all images, CSS, code behind pages, etc)
* Visual Basic as language

Regards
bgs264
Posted by Microsoft on 3/1/2010 at 1:37 PM
Hello bgs264,

We’ve been trying to reproduce this in our labs, but so far we have been unable to get a repro. Was your latest repro also due to a network outage? Can you provide me with more information on the size of project that you’re working with? (What project type, language, how many files?) Do you have any extensions installed or other programs running? (If so, which?) Next time you experience a network outage, or this repro, could you please take a video? We would like to observe where the focus is, and if there are any other subtle differences between our test configuration and yours.

You can use Community Clips (free software) to record a screencast to upload: http://www.officelabs.com/projects/communityclips/Pages/Default.aspx

Suzanne Hansen, Program Manager, Visual Studio Platform Shell Team
Posted by bgs-264 on 3/1/2010 at 6:38 AM
Have you got some repro for this now?

It's just happened to me again; it seems like the focus gets stuck on the wrong bit of the page - e.g. the solution explorer - or the dropdown lists at the top of the page - etc.

You can click in the normal code editor and the carat flashes there but the arrow keys still move around the wrong parts of the page.

Regards
bgs264
Posted by bgs-264 on 2/25/2010 at 5:15 AM
This has just happened again. Here is the repro.

We had a network outage and lost connection to the SQL Server 2008 machine. The current situation is that the SQL Server 2008 machine is now returning pings but the SQL Service is not yet restarted.

I right-clicked the server in Server Explorer and pressed Refresh to see if it was back again. I got a Server Explorer message about a network or instance specific error.

So I went back to continue to work on the web form as much as I could do, and was working on the following line:

<scc:TextBox ID="txtS12_OtherRequirementsInfo" runat="server"

I am now in the situation where the arrow keys, backspace, and delete do not work.

I can use the mouse to click around the code page; and I can type into it.

The page can be saved; and closing the code page and re-opening it has fixed the bug.

Regards
bgs264
Posted by guge on 2/25/2010 at 2:24 AM
I find that this happens if I use the editor with intellisense while the errorlist is filling up (which takes time if you have many (hundreds) errors).
Posted by guge on 2/25/2010 at 2:10 AM
I have also experienced this frequently. For me it happens when I start working on errors before the build process is completed. The alphanumeric keystrokes goes into the editor, but arrowkeys go to the error list, selecting next or previous error. Backspace, delete and space keys seem to have no effect.
Posted by bgs-264 on 2/24/2010 at 2:13 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I've tried to repro this but I'm sorry I cannot. It happened a few times on the day I posted which is what prompted me to post it but I've not seen the error since.

I was working on a ASP.NET web site in Visual Basic. I had messed up an HTML tag by doing something like
<asp:Button id="btnSubmit" runat="server" Text"Submit" /> (Note the missing equals between the Text and "Submit")

The errors list reported the mis-formed tag so I double clicked the error to correct it; it was then I noticed it in the ASPX Designer.

I cannot remember any specific steps to reproduce it in the .vb code editor, however, I remember that I noticed it within a method signature - I wanted to add a parameter to the signature of a method - I started typing to add another parameter and made a typo, and noticed I could not use backspace so tried to arrow-left and use 'delete' and that failed, too.

I am only working on a single project so there were not multiple projects connecting the problem.
I'm sorry but I can't think of any common activities.

For what it's worth VS2010 RC was inside a Microsoft Virtual PC image running Windows XP Pro SP3.

Thanks for investigating and sorry for the vague bug report
bgs264
Posted by Microsoft on 2/23/2010 at 6:30 PM
Hi bgs264,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We've fixed a couple of similar issues since the RC, and they typically affect all non-alphanumeric characers, which is consistent with what you describe. However, we'd like to make sure we've addressed as many cases as possible, so we're very interested in any details that you can provide. Even without concrete steps to reproduce, any additional information would be helpful:

- Do you remember what you were doing when this occurred?
- Were there any common activities, projects, etc. that connect multiple instances of this problem?
- Which language are you using?

Thanks for trying the VS 2010 RC and sending your feedback! We hope to hear from you soon.

Brittany Behrens