The Application Data folder for Visual Studio could not be created - by srikanth678

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 2/21/2010 12:34:02 PM

I am experiencing following error message when I try to run VS2010(RC) devenv.exe on my WINDWOS 7 PRO desktop

"The Application Data folder for Visual Studio could not be created"

Environment that I am working:
1)OS: Win 7
2)VS2010 RC
3).Net framework 3.5 and 4.0
4)Logged in as  a local admin

any idea what is causing this issue!

thanks
Posted by Anup mehra on 6/15/2012 at 1:09 PM
Md %APPDATA%\Microsoft\vsa\9.0
Md %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\vsa\9.0
Md %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
Md %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
Md C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\VSA\9.0
Md C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0

Checked all one by one. no error at all i'm experiencing by doing so. but when i allow to install update visual studio service pack1 for vs pro. 2010 i'm recieving an error thorugh interactive services detection "the application data could not be created for visual studio".

windows7 professional 32 bit/visual studio professional 2010/logged in as admin id.

any help???
Posted by Big Pal on 2/17/2012 at 12:25 AM
When running the last 2 commands i get something like this:

C:\Users\Shawn>Md C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\VSA\9.0
Access is denied.
Error occurred while processing: C:\Users\All.
A subdirectory or file Users\Microsoft\VSA\9.0 already exists.
Error occurred while processing: Users\Microsoft\VSA\9.0.

So even the directory "All Users" is cut to "All." only !!!

Posted by Big Pal on 2/16/2012 at 11:52 PM
Access denied... plz see below:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Shawn>Md %APPDATA%\Microsoft\vsa\9.0
A subdirectory or file C:\Users\Shawn\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\vsa\9.0 already
exists.

C:\Users\Shawn>Md %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\vsa\9.0
A subdirectory or file C:\Users\Shawn\AppData\Local\Microsoft\vsa\9.0 already ex
ists.

C:\Users\Shawn>Md %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
A subdirectory or file C:\Users\Shawn\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.
0 already exists.

C:\Users\Shawn>Md %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
A subdirectory or file C:\Users\Shawn\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
already exists.

C:\Users\Shawn>Md C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\VSA\9.0
Access is denied.
Error occurred while processing: C:\Users\All.

C:\Users\Shawn>Md C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
Access is denied.
Error occurred while processing: C:\Users\All.

C:\Users\Shawn>

What would be the next step????
thanx
Posted by BearFather on 6/16/2010 at 6:02 PM
I just found my own fix. After a few more pokes in the internet I found an article talking about the %appdata% issue.

I guess my reg entry was bad.

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\%appdata%" was set to "%appdata%. I then set it to "%userprofile%\appdata\roaming" it fixed it perfectly.

Now to figure how that got changed.
Posted by BearFather on 6/16/2010 at 5:42 PM
I just encountered the same issue. my specs are very similar, windows 7, VS2010, .net 4.5, and running at an admin.

I have tried to run as admin, tried the fix listed here, Run the install tool and did repair.

When I did the fix listed here, I was unable to browse to "%LocalAppData%" & "%AppData%". Gave me the error that it cant find the location, in explorer, run, and cmd line. But I did run the lines and ran fine till I got to these two lines, "Md C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\VSA\9.0" "Md C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0" came back as access denied. But I was able to browse to them in explorer and they were there.
Posted by Nathan [MSFT] on 3/22/2010 at 7:13 PM
Thanks for letting us know travelgirl. None of the patches from last patch tuesday should have had any impact on these directories (it is possible, however). I haven't heard any other reports of this aside from this connect item.

Since recreating the directories seems to resolve the issue, and I haven't heard back from Nellutla, I'm resolving the issue as not reproducable for now.

Thanks,
Nathan
Posted by travelgirl on 3/10/2010 at 2:22 PM
i had the same problem after last night's patch tuesday. i started VS by running as administrator (this seemed to work). when i added the six directories below, three were created, three existed before.

is it possible patch tuesday screwed with things it shouldn't have? thanks...
Posted by Nathan [MSFT] on 2/24/2010 at 6:45 PM
Hi Nullutla,

We've seen issues like this at times when network locations are used in place of default windows locations for special directories such as %Appdata%, and file permissions aren't set or the network is down.

If you open a file explorer (Windows Key + E), and type %LocalAppData% into the address bar, what is the resulting file path?
What about %Appdata%? Are you getting any error messages?

If these locations exist, the next step is to quickly check both your permissions, and the existence of the folders VS is most often looking for. You can check this by running the following commands in a cmd window:

Md %APPDATA%\Microsoft\vsa\9.0
Md %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\vsa\9.0
Md %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
Md %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
Md C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\VSA\9.0
Md C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0

If you see any errors other than "A subdirectory or file <file> already exosts" let me know.

Once we have results from these initial diagnostics, we can investigate further.

Posted by Microsoft on 2/22/2010 at 7:03 PM