"Choose Toolbox Items" dialogue forces manual process kill and data loss, unresponsive and GUI corruption by Irn_

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 3/2/2010 3:08:31 PM

Hi, I'm not sure that this is the same bug or a newer version of this bug posted last year:

Basically, there are a couple of things that seem to cause this problem for me while in the Choose Toolbox Items dialogue. When it happens, nothing can be done to escape the dialogue and the program becomes unusable. Its process must be manually taskkilled for the program to exit. Also if it matters, the dialogue's graphical elements become mangled and corrupted after the bug. I can post a video or more information if needed. As for my setup, I don't think my installation is anything out of the ordinary. I don't even use any addons or plugins.
Posted by Dennis Kuhn on 9/27/2011 at 5:45 PM
IS there an update on this? I experience the same, I can not add anything to my toolbox now. After I opened the dialogue, I can not close it any more. It is possible to add components, but the dialogue does not close and after the forced process kill, the component is not in the toolbox. I am using Visual Studio 2010 Ultimateon Vista business 64 Bit:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.0.30319 RTMRel

Installed Version: Ultimate

Microsoft Office Developer Tools 01019-564-0005252-70313
Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 01019-564-0005252-70313
Microsoft Visual C# 2010 01019-564-0005252-70313
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 01019-564-0005252-70313
Microsoft Visual F# 2010 01019-564-0005252-70313
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Architecture and Modeling Tools 01019-564-0005252-70313
UML® and Unified Modeling Language™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Object Management Group, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Code Analysis Spell Checker 01019-564-0005252-70313
Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Team Explorer 01019-564-0005252-70313
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010 01019-564-0005252-70313
Coded UI Test Editor 1.0
Enable editing of a UITest (*.uitest) file
Crystal Reports Templates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate - ENU (KB2403277) KB2403277
Hotfix for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate - ENU (KB2542054) KB2542054
InstallShield Limited Edition
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SharePoint Developer Tools 10.0.30319
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Visualization and Modeling Feature Pack 2.0
Security Update for Microsoft Visual Studio Team Explorer 2010 - ENU (KB2251489) KB2251489
Posted by Microsoft on 5/21/2010 at 1:18 PM
Thanks for your feedback. This issue has been isolated and will be addressed in a future Visual Studio patch. If you have any other questions or issues, please feel free to contact me directly: ramatthi (at) microsoft (dot) com.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/3/2010 at 5:27 PM
Here is a condenced set of steps you can take to produce a dump
1. Boot Visual Studio
2. From the start menu type "windbg" folowed by enter. This will start the windbg program.
3. In this program hit F6 and this will bring up a list of processes that you can attach to.
4. Click the radio button labled 'By Excecutable' to sort the list by executable name.
5. From the list of Process select devenv.exe and click OK and then hit OK again when asked to save your Workspace
6. Switch to your Visual Studio application and do the steps that you describe in the bug to get Visual Studio into the state that you describe
7. Once Visual Studio is in the bad state switch back to windbg and type in the command ".dump /ma /o <file path that you want to save the dump file to>"
8. The resulting file that is created after step 7 is what you can send
Posted by Irn_ on 3/3/2010 at 5:05 PM
Sorry for the messy posts, should have just posted it in one. I compressed the dump down five times smaller, so I'll be able to upload it tomorrow. Gotta go now. Also, if this helps:
"
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
Microsoft_VisualStudio_Xaml_ni+0x4b2d51:
65e92d51 3909            cmp     dword ptr [ecx],ecx ds:002b:00000000=????????
0:000:x86> .ecxr
eax=0d5d46d8 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000000 edx=04ab48bc esi=0033ca44 edi=00000000
eip=0000002b esp=00000000 ebp=00000000 iopl=0     vif ov up ei pl nz ac po cy
cs=0000 ss=0000 ds=c9d4 es=0000 fs=4310 gs=0000             efl=772d0b19
0000002b ??             ???
"
Posted by Irn_ on 3/3/2010 at 4:46 PM
I'm really not completely sure how to fully use this program (I'm not an advanced developer) but it looks like I'm getting some kind of data. The only debug files I could find were some devenv noncritical .wer error reporting files.

I ran the exception capture and did the steps to reproduce the bug, and it said it wrote a dump file now. I guess that's what I was supposed to do? Anyway, I'm getting the hang of it I think.

The dump file is huge. I'm afraid with my internets it would take a full day to upload this. But, I do have some crash debugging experience with blue screens and kernal. If I couldn't upload it, maybe I can at least submit some info? I don't know, but I do need some guidance here. Thanks.
Posted by Irn_ on 3/3/2010 at 3:12 PM
After testing it in SafeMode, it still happens like normal. Also, the program doesn't crash. I checked for dumps of any kind and none were created on my computer, I suppose because there was no application hang but I'm not sure. When this issue happens, the program might as well be crashed because it can't do anything, but it doesn't actually have its process crash. I have to manually kill the program, and nothing happens after I do other than the normal behavior of a process being killed. Running the other diagnostic now.
Posted by Irn_ on 3/3/2010 at 3:03 PM
Hello to both of you. As far as this being urgent, it's definitely not causing me too much of a problem. If I just avoid going to that dialogue, I can use the program fine. I just thought it might be something of interest to fix for your product. I'll start doing what you asked now and have it done probably by tonight.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/3/2010 at 10:28 AM
Hi Steve_,

I'm the engineer that is currently looking at the issue you are running into. It would be great if you could use the diagnostics tool below and get us a crash dump for the issue. You can send it directly to me at brian.boon@microsoft.com. One additional thing to try, in order to help isolate the issue, is see if you can reproduce the issue while running in safe mode. You can run Visual Studio in safe mode by running the following command : devenv /SafeMode

Thanks!

Brian
Posted by Microsoft on 3/2/2010 at 10:40 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided. Please download and install Performance Diagnostic Tool to collect Diagnostic data.

The tool is now at http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/e8649e35-26b1-4e73-b427-c2886a0705f4

After that, please upload data file to workspace:

Password is O2O_k$Bt9ZrLF-X

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 3 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Visual Studio Product Team
Posted by Microsoft on 3/2/2010 at 7:08 PM
Posted by Dennis Kuhn on 9/27/2011 at 5:53 PM
It works, if I do not load a solution and add the component directly to the "General" tab in the Toolbox.