The 6.0A SDK is missing RichEd20.lib for x64 - by cradke

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 4/14/2010 9:54:58 AM

Including RichEd20.lib to resolve the CreateTextServices fails for x64 builds with a "cannot open file 'RichEd20.lib'" error.  Additionally, IID_ITextHost is unresolved.

How is the CreateTextServices function supposed be resolved for x64 builds?

Posted by Mark Woodard on 2/27/2014 at 10:13 AM
I am building an MFC application, which I thought was inherently x86. If I build using the Platform Toolset "Visual Studio 2013 - Windows XP (v120_xp)", there are no problems. But if I build using the toolset "Visual Studio 2013 (v120)", I get "cannot open file 'riched20.lib'" when it links. I do have Office 365 installed, and I see a lot of noise on the Web about how this can interfere with builds using the rich edit control. Any advice?
Posted by Microsoft on 6/4/2010 at 3:54 PM
Further information about how to get this to work:

void CreateRichEdit(ITextHost *pTextHost, IUnknown **ppUnk)
{
    TextServicesProcType TextServicesProc;
    HMODULE hmod = LoadLibrary("msftedit.dll");
    if (hmod) TextServicesProc = (TextServicesProcType)GetProcAddress(hmod, "CreateTextServices");
    if (TextServicesProc)
    {
        HRESULT hr = TextServicesProc(NULL, pTextHost, ppUnk);
    }
}

Thanks,
Chris
Posted by Microsoft on 6/3/2010 at 4:23 PM
Hi Cradke,
I spoke with the developer and he indicates there isn't a 64-bit version of riched20.lib. He indicates that loadlibrary should be used as described here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787873(VS.85).aspx, which eliminates the need to import the lib.

If there are any further issues, please contact me chrishu at microsoft dot com.

Thanks,
Chris Hubbard
Windows C++ SDET
Posted by Microsoft on 4/17/2010 at 2:56 AM
Thanks for your feedback. We were able to reproduce the issue you are seeing. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by cradke on 4/16/2010 at 4:20 PM
I attached a example app that makes a call to CreateTextServices in the WinMain. Notice that the Win32 platforms build without error, however changing the platform to x64 results in the reported error.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2010 at 1:00 AM

Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Could you please attach a zipped example project file to this feedback through our site to help us reproduce the issue?

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Visual Studio Product Team