Please avoid scrolling context menus when vertical space is available by SvenC

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 4/18/2010 11:53:12 PM

I right click a project in the solution explorer.
The context menu opens at the mouse position but is too high to fit the screen.
Instead of positioning the menu a bit higher on the screen the menu gets a scroll arrow at the bottom.
I would prefer a fully visible menu as scrolling is more time consuming.
I attached a screen shot.
I use Windows 7 x64 with a DPI setting of 120%
Posted by Microsoft on 1/11/2011 at 12:26 PM
Yes, VS + WPF teams both needed to fix things here.

Thanks, WPF Team
Posted by Maximilian Haru Raditya on 10/15/2010 at 10:47 AM
It seems it's been fixed.

Check here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudio/archive/2010/10/14/hotfixes-available-for-scrolling-context-menu-problem.aspx
Posted by davidjward30 on 8/25/2010 at 3:28 AM
This is really horrible. I so frequently want the 'Properties' option which is the last item in the menu. It's pretty much unusable.
Posted by B. David Holt on 8/6/2010 at 9:26 AM
And to add- if you MUST make a scrolling context menu, then hook the scroll wheel into it - being forced to click the arrows is ever so frustrating!!!!!
Posted by Daniel Smith on 7/24/2010 at 11:22 AM
See also (currently #4 top rated VS bug):

Posted by cole anstey on 7/21/2010 at 7:54 AM
This appears to be the same as BUG 553554 - Inconsistent behaviour positioning/sizing context menus.
Posted by Michael Isaacs on 6/25/2010 at 12:09 PM
It seems that this is aligning either the top or the bottom of the context window with the right-clicked on item. When the item is in the middle of the display window, this causes the scrolling buttons to appear, because it is only able to use half the window. The function to open the context window with either the top or bottom aligned with the clicked location seems like an unnecessary implementation and is what seems to be causing much frustration for me as well as others.
Posted by Edgars Batnya on 6/11/2010 at 6:55 AM
If only it just scrolled like a quick menu should always do, but it's doing this annoying pause as in "scroll *pause* scroll scroll scroll..."
What the?
Posted by chksr on 6/2/2010 at 6:14 AM
unless this is fixed, VS2010 is not usable for me ;(
Posted by Shadow Chaser on 5/18/2010 at 8:44 AM
Same issue here - more noticable on my laptop. Tons of space left above the context menu, yet it still forces scrolling if it's opened near the bottom of the display.
Posted by Thomas Martinsen on 5/12/2010 at 1:09 AM
This bug is so annoying I consider to downgrade my projects to VS2008 - please fix it!
Posted by EricSB on 5/6/2010 at 8:29 AM
I've noticed this too and it's VERY annoying! I'd love to see it corrected soon please... Thanks!

-Eric
Posted by Philip Wolfe on 5/3/2010 at 8:28 AM
RC (542946) and RTM issue
Posted by Microsoft on 4/19/2010 at 8:49 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue.
We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Thomas Martinsen on 11/23/2010 at 1:04 PM
Guess this post by ScottGu contains the patch needed.
Works for me! :)