vs2010 RTM Intellisense Crash by sschlenker

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 4/29/2010 10:55:47 AM

vs2010 crashes constantly in source view when intellisense attempts to complete an attribute. I create a lot of design via css for our company so more specifically it will crash when I attempt to type CssClass for any of the server controls.

I begin typing Css and then it pauses while intellisense does its thing. Next visual studio will come back and warn of an exception and restart the IDE.

I have seen this was a known bug with the RC version, but this was supposed to have been fixed from what I have read.

I have a dump file created if I need to send it along.
Posted by wst_ on 4/30/2014 at 2:14 AM
come on... some people can't switch to a different VS... Fix this in VS2010 please.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/19/2012 at 11:51 AM
This has been fixed for the final build of VS 2012 (and Web Express), to be released soon.
If you can live without design view, CSS class Intellisense can be disabled in VS 2010 by using the "Web Developer (Code Only)" profile. Select Tools/Import and Export Settings to change the profile.
Posted by FLIVE on 5/10/2012 at 8:00 PM
Having this in VS 2010 SP1, same exact signature. Crashed 3 times in the last hour, and is making it nearly impossible to fix my html layout. I may have to start previewing the page, downloading the entire site in chrome, and then editing in a 3rd party editor again! I only work with razor views, not sure if it affects others. I already re-built my VM to get around other issues with Razor in mvc4 and vs2010, and now this is happening. This machine has nothing but VS, SQL, a few text editors, chrome, and all the service packs applied. Totally clean machine.
Posted by gregslater on 8/26/2011 at 1:47 AM
I agree with Michael, the problem doesn't seem to occur for me when I pause typing straight after the first quote mark for a few seconds. If I immediately enter the class name I can reproduce the crash.

Greg
Posted by nothingisnecessary on 8/17/2011 at 5:29 PM
This is pretty frustrating, especially when I've got 20+ projects open and I lose a few minutes waiting for VS to auto restart each time.

Only happens about every 1/20 times for me and it's been difficult to nail down exact repro, but always happens as soon as I finish typing " CssClass="

I wish there was a way to disable just the css lookup specifically (we use dynamically linked css files based on the runtime application path since this is a modular COTS application, so hardcoded css path is a moot p oint. Also, I don't care about CSS intellisense because (1) it wouldn't work anyway (since dynamically linked), and (2) I already know what CssClass I was going to use (how they hell is it useful to do intellisense for css anyway??)

I'm at the point where I'm so paranoid I always hit "Save All" before even trying to assign CssClass... this is still occurring after upgrade to VS 2010 SP1... I'm on Windows 7 32 bit

Best workaround I've found so far is to write the cssclass="..." string in a diff editor and then paste it in.

Here's the drama from the app log:

* Information/

P8: 000707d3
P9:
P10:

(...personal details omitted...)

and

* Error/

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f2a73
Faulting module name: htmled.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f349b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000707d3
Faulting process id: 0xf2c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc5d3128bdc2b1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Packages\htmled.dll

Thanks..
Posted by Antony Wu on 7/8/2011 at 12:02 PM
This is definitely a must for fix.
My system is Win7 64bit with Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
I can repro this rather often by modifying razor views with some HTML tags (such as div) in MVC3 web app projects

Faulting module name: htmled.dll, version: 10.0.40219.1, time stamp: 0x4d5f349b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000707d3
Faulting process id: 0x318c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc3d9de8d4bdaa
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Packages\htmled.dll
Report Id: 0e337297-a994-11e0-a3ae-001fe2e3c6bd
Posted by Michael Mayo on 5/5/2011 at 1:15 PM
I did find this in the event log for each occurence of the crash...

Log Name:     Application
    <Data>10.0.40219.1</Data>
    <Data>4d5f349b</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>000707d3</Data>
    <Data>11b8</Data>
    <Data>01cc0b5c8353b199</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Packages\htmled.dll</Data>
    <Data>4f351ec0-7750-11e0-93c0-0026b99b1130</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Posted by Michael Mayo on 5/5/2011 at 12:54 PM
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit with Visual Studio 2010 Premium and I'm seeing this bug as well.

I can produce a crash 75% of the time as follows:

1. Boot up my machine
2. Load my solution in VS 2010 (13 projects)
3. Open an aspx file in one of my ASP.NET MVC 3 projects
4. Type <div class="SomeClassName"

On step 4, if I pause after the quotation mark, it does not crash. If I keep typing, Visual Studio will crash after 3-6 characters. There are no detailed error messages - Visual Studio starts shutting down and restarting on its own.

After Visual Studio pauses or crashes on step 4, the bug cannot be reproduced until I reboot my machine.

I attempted to get a dump but I don't have time to create a dump from the time the crash begins and Visual Studio restarts (using task manager). I also tried attaching another instance of Visual Studio without success. If you have any suggestions on producing a dump file, I will gladly follow those steps and upload the file.
Posted by MetalMario201 on 3/8/2011 at 9:39 AM
My reply copied from an apparent duplicate of this bug:
This happens to me on a semi-regular basis. My CSS URLs are kept inside ASP.NET render blocks so they can receive server URL resolution. The app targets ASP.NET 2.0. Most of the code is VB with some C# classes.

Example:
...
<head runat="server">
<asp:PlaceHolder ID="placeHolder1" runat="server">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="<%= ResolveUrl("~/css/form.css") %>" type="text/css" />
</asp:PlaceHolder>
...
</head>
...

I run Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. Attached is a memory dump of the crash.
Posted by Ben Amada on 6/11/2010 at 9:00 PM
I too have had VS2010 RTM crash several times when typing in classes in the CssClass property in the ASPX markup page. I'm also now having the same crash experience when editing a CSS style within a stylesheet (not an ASPX page).
Posted by Microsoft on 5/2/2010 at 7:25 PM

Thanks for your feedback.

We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution.
These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/29/2010 at 8:14 PM

Thanks for reporting the issue.

You can use the following workspace to upload the dump file:
Password: *hAqorNzMMh

Please use "FeedbackID-555462" as prefix of the file name.

And it will be greatly appreciate if also you can provide a zipped project file and detailed steps to help us reproduce the issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Visual Studio Product Team