Cannot show Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Applications editor. - by davidP20090614

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 6/3/2010 8:22:24 AM

- start a new ssis project
- accept all default file names
- drag a script task onto the control flow window
- double click it to open it
- click Edit Task
- get error

Cannot show Visual Studio 2008 Tools for Applications editor. (Microsoft Visual Studio)

===================================

Could not load file or assembly 'VSTADTEProvider.Interop, Version=9.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (Microsoft.SqlServer.VSTAScriptingLib)
Posted by J. Schnuer on 6/26/2012 at 12:53 AM
We are getting the same error on SQL 2012. After some investigations it seems only to appear if you install SQL first without Data Tools and add it later. If you install the complete stuff from beginning it seems to work...
Posted by rsaltrelli on 5/3/2012 at 1:03 PM
I just experienced a similar error with SQL Server 2012, Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4.0. Haven't been able to get it to work yet.

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio
------------------------------

Cannot show Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Applications editor.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Core, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. (mscorlib)

------------------------------
BUTTONS:

OK
------------------------------
Posted by Microsoft on 1/10/2012 at 3:42 PM
We were unable to reproduce this error. Please let us know if it continues to be an issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/10/2012 at 3:42 PM
Posted by Microsoft on 1/10/2012 at 3:41 PM
Posted by Tatiane Vieira on 6/27/2011 at 3:17 PM
I had the same problem with SQL Server 2008 install in Windows 7 (x86)... I reinstalled all some times, but not resolved this problem. So I installed de .NET Framework 4 and this resolved my problem, the script task is working correctly.

Download: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17851
Posted by Valentino Vranken on 3/22/2011 at 6:53 AM
I encountered this issue after upgrading my client machine to R2. Solved by repairing the R2 installation.

First I tried by repairing the .NET 3.5 SP1 framework but that didn't fix the problem. I also tried to find a VSTA 2.0 installer, but couldn't find it anywhere (that link to summsoft.com mentioned in other comments leads to a page with an inactive download button).
Posted by Brian Berg on 11/22/2010 at 12:06 PM
I removed Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2.0 in Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs and ran the Repair option from 2008 R2 setup's Maintenance tab to resolve the issue.
Posted by shatranj on 10/11/2010 at 12:44 PM
By repairing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 you will be able to use the Script Task (SSIS 2008 R2)
Posted by RichardB_DBA on 8/9/2010 at 10:24 AM
I was able to fix this issue by running SQL Server 2008 R2 upgrade. Then going back and doing an uninstallation of the shared comonents (which includes VSTA) and then running a repair on the shared components.

It's ugly but it appears to be working.
Posted by SNMSDN on 7/21/2010 at 3:27 PM
I fixed it by going to Control Panel/Add Remove Programs and removing Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications 2.0. Then reinstalled by getting the SDK from Summit Software here

Then did a .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Repair with the installation from here

Unfortunately I did not test before doing the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Repair, so I can't say for sure whether or not that was absolutely necessary, I'm just elated to have my Script Editor back!

Sean
Posted by RichardB_DBA on 6/21/2010 at 1:45 PM
We are facing a roll back if there is no resolution. This didn't exists when we were running SQL SERVER 2008 .... only since the upgrade to 2008 R2.

Please advise. ASASP!

Posted by Dallas Snider on 6/21/2010 at 1:26 PM
===================================

===================================

------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.VSTAHosting.VSTAScriptingEngine.EnsureDTEObject()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.VSTAHosting.VSTAScriptingEngine.LoadScriptFromStorage()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Tasks.ScriptTask.ScriptTaskUI.ShowIDE()
Posted by raja123 on 6/15/2010 at 11:13 PM
Is there any resolution for this.
Please let me know

Thanks for u r help
Posted by Wiegelman on 6/10/2010 at 1:49 PM
I am receiving the same error. Below are the settings I am running under.
WinXP Pro SP3
SQL Server 2008 R2
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.4462 QFE
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 3.5 SP1
Installed Edition: IDE Standard

I create am able to recreate the error by:
1. Create a new SSIS project using All Programs/Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2/SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio
2. Create Integration Services Project
3. Drag "Script Task" from Tools to Control Flow.
4. Right Click Edit (or double click) the task
5. Click the "Edit Script" button ---> error appears

It does not matter if Language is set to C# or VB.Net. Appears that there is a version problem here as it is looking for the version 9.0.0.0 VSTA stuff in the GAC with one PublicKeyTokey and when I view the windows/assembly folder, I see version 10.0.0.0 with a different PublicKeyToken.

Somehow VSTA is still looking for version 9 but SQL 2K8 R2 overwrote it with version 10.

Help please.