An "inheirt and overwrite" pattern in XAML will be reported as "detected loop" by Nanalich

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 6/12/2010 11:35:05 PM

When using "BasedOn" attribute in order to implement an style inheritance for default controls, the code editor and the WPF designer will report it as "detected loop".
Actually, that won't happen under WPF 4.

Since the pattern uses "StaticResource" keyword, WPF 4 will read from the "original" style data and merge with the currently defineded, this makes the "detected loop" NOT tenable.

It actually works in WPF 4 applications.
Posted by dbronco7sc on 11/12/2010 at 8:26 AM
I too am wondering if the fix is out...
Posted by JohnDB on 10/6/2010 at 1:52 PM
I am experiencing this very problem in VS2010 and Blend 4. Is there a fix available yet?
Posted by Nanalich on 6/28/2010 at 11:38 AM
After a bit more research, I think "deep-in" reason why it won't make a expression loop I reported might be incorrect, but (the pattern) it will work under WPF 4 anyway.

I'm glad you are going to fix it for the designer/code editor of vs2010.

And as I tested, this pattern will really make a stack overflow under WPF 3.x, you may want to keep the warning message while designing WPF 3.x applications.

(poor english, please forgive me.)
Posted by Microsoft on 6/28/2010 at 11:26 AM
Hi Kaiyuki,

Thank you for taking the time to report the issue where a loop was falsely detected. We have a fix for the issue and we are aiming to release it in the next servicing release for Visual Studio 2010.

If you have any other questions / comments please contact me at adam.lapitz @ Microsoft.com
-Adam LaPitz
WPF / SL Designer
Posted by Microsoft on 6/13/2010 at 7:58 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 6/13/2010 at 4:06 AM