cannot open a new C# Winform project in new install of VS 2010 - by rwgreene-i

Duplicate<br /><br />
		This item appears to be a duplicate of another existing Connect or internal item.<br /><br />

Opened 7/25/2010 10:11:43 AM

I have a new Windows 7, 64 bit machine. I installed en_visual_studio_2010_professional_x86_dvd_509727.iso as downloaded from MSDN.

I can create a VB WinForm application but when I create a new C# Winform ot C# WPF application I receive errors from the generated code.

Instances of this error from C# WinForm (1)
1.   Hide Call Stack
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.EnsureDocument(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload)

Instance of this error from C# WPF application:
Error	1	A problem occurred while trying to set the "References" parameter for the IDE's in-process compiler. Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.	WpfApplication2

Error messages in the ActivityLog.xml from DevEnv  /log option
292  Begin package load [Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.BootstrapPackage.BootstrapPackage, Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.BootstrapPackage, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a] {7A4E8D96-5D5B-4415-9FAB-D6DCC56F47FB}  VisualStudio 2010/07/25 16:29:06.192
293 ERROR CreateInstance failed for package [Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.BootstrapPackage.BootstrapPackage, Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.BootstrapPackage, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a] {7A4E8D96-5D5B-4415-9FAB-D6DCC56F47FB} 80070002 VisualStudio 2010/07/25 16:29:06.196
294 ERROR End package load [Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.BootstrapPackage.BootstrapPackage, Microsoft.Data.Entity.Design.BootstrapPackage, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a] {7A4E8D96-5D5B-4415-9FAB-D6DCC56F47FB} 80004005 - E_FAIL VisualStudio 2010/07/25 16:29:06.197
295 Warning Package failed to load; error message suppressed by skip flag {7A4E8D96-5D5B-4415-9FAB-D6DCC56F47FB}  VisualStudio 2010/07/25 16:29:06.198
296  Entering function CVsPackageInfo::HrInstantiatePackage

Posted by Microsoft on 8/4/2010 at 12:28 PM
Yeah, our initial assessment of the problem is that you have a faulty install of the framework. Your best bet is likely to completely remove all traces of framework 4 and VS and try a complete reinstall of both. We have another bug to track this, keep track of issue #556837 as we're going to use that one to trace this forward.

Chris Granger
Visual Studio Pro Experience
Posted by rwgreene-i on 7/28/2010 at 6:40 PM
I installed the same VS 2010 from the same ISO file onto a laptop Win7 64-bit machine, copied my project to the the laptop and tested there. That instance of VS 2010 professional compiles and works fine. I can open old solutiosn and create new solutinos on the laptop without a problem

The difference between the working laptop and the failing desktop is that VS 2010 cannot access Framework 4 on the desktop. When I look at "add remove programs", the laptop has MS .net Framework 4 Client Profile, MS .net Framework 4 Extented and MS .net Framework 4 Multi-targeting Pack

While the failing desktop does not have the Multi-Targeting Pack installed. (it was installed before I removed and reinstalled Framework 4.0 )

ok it appears that there is womething wrong with my .NET Famework 4.0

Posted by rwgreene-i on 7/28/2010 at 4:04 PM
Hmmm, I had not noticed that. It was using Framework 3.5. It also fails when I set it to Framework 2.0. I do not have a Framework 4.0 option.

I have installed Framework 4.0 (I think it comes with VS 2010), I have repaired Framework 4.0 and I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Still no option.
Posted by Jeremy [MSFT] on 7/28/2010 at 11:40 AM
Thanks a lot for the detailed information! One more question: when you create a new project, is .NET Framework 4 listed in the dropdown list of the New Project dialog?

Thank you!
Jeremy Meng
Visual Studio Pro Experience Team
Posted by rwgreene-i on 7/27/2010 at 7:07 PM
I managed to get VS to open my work project by manually changing the config file. It would not show me any design views. I pressed compile and got this message:

Warning    1    The reference assemblies for framework ".NETFramework,Version=v4.0" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack for this framework version or retarget your application to a version of the framework for which you have the SDK or Targeting Pack installed. Note that assemblies will be resolved from the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and will be used in place of reference assemblies. Therefore your assembly may not be correctly targeted for the framework you intend.    Dis2

Error    2    A problem occurred while trying to set the "References" parameter for the IDE's in-process compiler. Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.    Dis2

Well, you asked for information, so I can give you what I see.
Posted by rwgreene-i on 7/27/2010 at 6:57 PM
I got some more error information when I noticed a "more details" button

If I open a brand new VS 2010 C# Winform project I get

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
Problem Signature 01:    devenv.exe
Problem Signature 02:    10.0.30319.1
Problem Signature 03:    4ba1fab3
Problem Signature 04:    KERNELBASE.dll
Problem Signature 05:    6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 06:    4a5bdbdf
Problem Signature 07:    80042b8c
Problem Signature 08:    0000b727
OS Version:    6.1.7600.
Locale ID:    1033

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
Posted by rwgreene-i on 7/27/2010 at 6:54 PM
This machine was several weeks old before I installed VS 2010 on it. It has editors, Office 2007 products, several browser, some video and graphic editing products, a couple of games, Quicken SQL Express, and other stuff.

This is an 8Gig Win 7, 64 bit machine with dual monitors.

I have previousally installed VS 2008 Team on this same machine and 2008 it still works.

I mounted the ISO file and installed from the new drive letter.

I do not install Visual Studio products on my boot drive, I installed them to Drive G.

When I tried to open a working VS 2010 program I took home from work, it told me that I did not have Framework 4.0 installed. I downloaded Framework 4.0, ran the install and asked me if I wantged to repair the current version and I said yes. I still have the problem.

Example message is: The C# project "Dis2" is targeting ".NET Framework, Version=4.0,profile=Client", which is not installed on this machine.

Of course Framework 4.0 is installed.

Posted by Jeremy [MSFT] on 7/27/2010 at 12:22 PM
Thank you for your feedback!

In order to further understand the issue we would like to get more information from you.

1. Did you start the Visual Studio 2010 installation right on a fresh Windows 7 64bit OS?

2. If not, have you installed any other versions of Visual Studio on the machine before? Do you have any Visual Studio extensions installed? Did you un-install them prior to the installation of Visual Studio 2010? It might be possible that the un-installation process left some entries in the registry which should have been deleted.

3. Did you burn a DVD, or extract files from the .iso file, or mounted the .iso file then install Visual Studio?

4. Anything else you did that might relates to VS?

Thanks a lot!
Jeremy Meng
Visual Studio Pro Experience Team
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 7/25/2010 at 10:56 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 7/25/2010 at 5:03 PM
Thank you for your feedback, we are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly(