ClickOnce and .NET 4 CP Prerequisite by Pierce Blaylock

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 7/29/2010 1:54:58 AM

I have a setup.exe bootstrapper created for me via Visual Studio 2010. I have uploaded it to a web server along with the application files. I then go to a computer that does not have the .NET 4 Client Profile on it yet and I run the setup.exe from the browser. The set up process begins as expected with the .NET 4 Client Profile install. I click Accept to the license agreement and let it install.

When the .NET 4 Client Profile finishes installing, the setup.exe bootstrapper then runs the ClickOnce install for my application. I click on the Install button of the typical ClickOnce install window. However I am then presented with a small System Update Required dialog window that reads as follows.

Unable to install or run this application. This application
requires your system to be updated to Microsoft
Common Language Runtime Version 4.0.30319.0.

More information on this system update can be found
by visiting the site here.

If I click on the "here" link, it just takes me to our web site.

I know .NET 4 Client Profile has installed correctly because If I click OK to this dialog and then run my setup.exe file again (or manually launch the ClickOnce install), it immediately proceeds with the install of my application without any problems.

I have also attempted clicking the Cancel button on the .NET 4 Client Profile installation, but this does not resolve the issue.

There are two scenarios:

1. Do not hit Cancel - .NET 4 CP finishes installing. Bootstrapper attempts to launch ClickOnce installation, but fails with error mentioned above. Manual launch of ClickOnce installation results in a successful install.

2. Hit Cancel - .NET 4 CP finishes installing, but bootstrapper does not attempt to launch ClickOnce installation. Manual launch of ClickOnce installation results in a successful install.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/16/2011 at 6:40 PM
Apologize for the delayed response. Unfortunately, this issue is not fixed in SP1.
Posted by Daniel Smith on 1/19/2011 at 5:02 PM
Will this be fixed in SP1?

It's totally unacceptable to have tell our customers to expect errors on first install, and to try again if it fails.
Posted by mjhillman on 10/28/2010 at 6:02 AM
I am experiencing the same isue reported by pierceblaylock.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/28/2010 at 5:57 PM
Hi,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are able to reproduce this problem however it is unfortunate that we do not have time to address this request in Visual Studio 2010 but I've added it to our list to consider for future versions. In the meantime, the workaround is to restart the installation if it fails the first time. Please continue to log your suggestions and issues as they play an important part in helping us understand what customers want. While at times we may not be able to get to them immediately (such as in this case), we do note them for future consideration. We very much appreciate your feedback! Thank you!
Posted by edwaugh on 9/24/2010 at 2:47 AM
I also posted this problem here:

This has now been marked duplicate but includes some information on the specific problem I was seeing.

Cheers

Ed
Posted by T Miller on 9/18/2010 at 11:13 PM
I am having a similar problem. With a Clickonce install on a Win7 machine that does not have .Net Framework 4 Client previously installed. The Clickonce install appears to initially work (.Net Framework 4 installs) but when the Clickonce starts to install my app, it fails. If I start setup.exe again, the install suceeds and my app runs fine.
Posted by Pierce Blaylock on 8/5/2010 at 4:50 PM
We have released a product that requires .NET 4 Client Profile and now our support calls have doubled becuase of this issue. This error is coming up for a lot of our clients. We have to ask them to start the install again for it to work. They don't need to restart their computer or anything after the error. Just restarting the ClickOnce install after clicking OK to this error seems to get them going. It looks very unprofessional.

I see that the .NET 4 Client Profile comes down as a Windows Update, but it is not ticked by default. Therefore none of our clients have it by default as they are not computer savvy enough to know to do this. So we are left with the major headache of updating everyone.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/30/2010 at 5:03 PM
Posted by acwolff on 7/30/2010 at 4:56 AM
I have the same problem with a PC running Windows XP. If I install the same ClickOnce installation on a PC with Windows-7 it installs .NET 4, reboot and finally installs my application without problems.