Designer file not parsing after editing in VS2010 Dataset Designer - by Oliver Slay

Duplicate<br /><br />
		This item appears to be a duplicate of another existing Connect or internal item.<br /><br />

Opened 8/3/2010 4:52:49 PM

I have upgraded a project created in VS2008.  I am using an Access MDB backend via DataSets created using the DataSet Designer.

First I open the connection to the database, then I open the project.  (I have to do it in this order otherwise just when I need to open the connection to the database I get an ADO.NET unspecified error - thought it would be fixed in VS2010 but still occurs - possibly an XPSP3 ADO error... anyway.. it affects my working in VS2010 but not sure you could reproduce it... I have already commented on another post)

I have been happily editing away ... and had to make a change to several DataSets.  I have edited 1 or 2... and now the last one I have made my changes..

I try to compile the project but it tells me I have over 100 errors in my code - after having zero errors.

All 100 errors are in one DataSetDesigner vb file.  The code appears to have random underlining all over it... although, in some places, similar items are randomly  underlined.

I have tried adding a space, removing the space and saving ... the lines disappear for a moment until the file is saved or re-opened.

I can close the project (+VS) and re-open and all is good again.

This is the second time it has happened, so I thought I would report it.  This time round I took screenshots which I shall attach after submission...

The images:
DataSet Corrupt 1.png - The cursor is actually flashing at the beginning of the grey part to the right of the closing parenthesis... but there are no spaces between the closing parenthesis and the cursor...

DataSet Corrupt 2.png - random underlining
DataSet Corrupt 3.png - and random errors overflowing the Error Window.
Posted by NikiR on 5/17/2011 at 7:51 AM
Microsoft assumes everyone is using the latest technology (i.e. no-one uses datasets any more because Entity Framework has come along. So very reminiscent of your removing obsolete serial ports in VS2003. Duh!).

In-house you are all high tech and moving at breakneck speed. The rest of us are lucky if we can get a decent PC out of our employers: for myself I haven't even been able to squeeze a training course out of them for 4 years.
I won't be moving to Entity Framework any time soon due to lack of time and training to get to grips with it. It's time you actually took on board what the real world is like!

I guess, since you're saying you're not going to fix this HUGE BUG in datasets that we can take this as the death of datasets.

None of your suggested fixes work.

What you actually have to do is leave Visual Studio open and walk away from the PC for 10-15 minutes. Yes, it takes that long for the environment to actually absorb the changes you've made to the dataset. And that's on a brand new Win7 PC obtained this week - it was even longer on my old XP box.

It happens in .NET 4 apps, Windows and web projects, take your pick. Oliver Slay was lucky - shutting VS10 and restarting doesn't do it for me (or maybe he just happened to do it around the time of the 10 minute wake up).

Remember what I was saying about lack of time? Do you honestly think I have 15 minutes to spare to sit and scream at the computer every time this awful environment messes up?

At least I used this 10 minute slot productively - yup, the environment has just woken up! Bye!
Posted by Microsoft on 8/30/2010 at 11:31 PM
Hi,

Thank you for passing along this issue to us.  We evaluate all the feedback our customers submit, but unfortunately we cannot fix every item that comes in. We have evaluated the issue you submitted, and at this point, we do not anticipate releasing an update for it. To workaround this issue, you could try one of the following:

• Right-click the DataSet.xsd project item in the solution explorer, and click “Run Custom Tools”
• Or Rebuild the whole vb project.
• Or Close and Reload the vb project.

If the issue is blocking you from using the product, please contact our support via the Visual Studio Help and Support page on MSDN.

Thanks,
Xiaoying Guo
Program Manager, Visual Studio Business Applications Tooling
Posted by Microsoft on 8/3/2010 at 10:11 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Oliver Slay on 8/3/2010 at 5:39 PM
The errors prevent Building the project. But the Project can be re-opened - the errors disappear - and built...
Posted by Oliver Slay on 8/3/2010 at 5:37 PM
Another test has produced a simpler reproduction.

Not an upgrade .... a new Project VB WinForms App.

1) Add a DataSet - DataSet1.xsd.
2) Open the Designer - drag a table from an Access db.
3) Close and Save DataSet1.xsd
4) Immediately add another DataSet - DataSet2.xsd.
5) Add a table and save.
6) .. random errors now appear from DataSet1.xsd
Posted by Oliver Slay on 8/3/2010 at 5:29 PM
Added update to Steps to reproduce.

Error is somewhere in the Error enumeration... I am working with 2 datasets... opening the first is ok... saving ok - close it. Open the second straight after... make changes and save... and I am told the random errors are in the first dataset's designer file.

When i save changes in the 2nd, it is checking errors against the first... not against it's own Designer file...?
Posted by Microsoft on 8/3/2010 at 5:06 PM