Team Explorer/VS 2010 crashes on close - by AusRob

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 8/10/2010 9:30:39 PM

I'd like to publish this under Team Explorer 2010/Team Foundation Server 2010 but I can't find a project/connection for it.  Since it affects Visual Studio 2010 (RTM) directly, I thought I'd log it here anyway.

When you are connected to TFS via a DNS/Named Connection (instead of by IP Address) and you close an open solution, nine times out of ten Team Explorer (and thus, Visual Studio) will crash, and in some cases it corrupts the solution file.

See for more information.
Posted by AusRob on 9/12/2010 at 8:45 PM
Hi Guys,

I just installed the Sept 2010 TFS Power Tools and the August 2010 Productivity Power Tools and haven't been able to repro the VS crash. Also, I like the improvements to the latest build, excellent work.

Posted by Microsoft on 9/10/2010 at 12:20 PM
Hello ausrob,

We just released a new version of the TFS Powertols. I tried your steps using this latest version with really huge and complex solutions and I wasn't able to reproduce the problem you describe. If you experience this again with the most recent version of the power tools, please don't hesitate to reactivate this problem or file a new one so we can try to narrow down the problem.

One thing that would really help us is if you could verify what happens if you close a solution/VS that isn't bound to source control, that is, without TFS being involved at all in the process. This could be a bit time consuming, but it would help narrow it down because Visual Studio itself had some issues in the past related to closing solutions. Also, are you using VS2010 RTM? As you said, a memory dump or a windbg stack could also help us immensily.

Thank you!
Posted by Microsoft on 9/9/2010 at 1:12 PM
Unfortunately we are unable to repro this problem. Please reactivate this bug when it happens again and you can provide a memory dump file.
Thank you.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/26/2010 at 10:00 AM
Thank you for getting back to us with this information. Please email me at michalma at microsoft dot com, so I can provide you a new storage for the dump file.
Posted by AusRob on 8/24/2010 at 6:26 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm downloading the Diagnostic tool, and should be able to extract a dump file today. The crashing is still occurring, almost every time I try to close Visual Studio (and sometimes just when closing a Solution, but not VS).

The main problem is with Solutions containing many projects (>80) although it does still happen with smaller solutions (< 30).
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 8/12/2010 at 12:00 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.
It may help if you provide us with a dump file and call stack.

You can get detailed steps about how to get the dump file and call stack at

Or you can download a Visual Studio 2010 Diagnostic Tool from You can get detailed description about how to use it to collect dump file.

Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-585343" as prefix of the file name.

You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password is X5eRup%anJ

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 8/11/2010 at 2:09 AM
Thank you for your feedback, We are currently reviewing the issue you have submitted. If this issue is urgent, please contact support directly (