Running more than five tests in parallel does not work by kryps1

as Fixed Help for as Fixed

Opened: 8/19/2010 12:07:35 AM

Running more than five tests in parallel on a Core i7 processor causes the whole test run to fail.
Posted by Rob D S on 9/21/2012 at 9:18 AM
Additionally, with parallelTestCount="4", we are intermittently seeing tests aborting with

QTAgent.exe, Performance warning: m_test should be null when TestResult is serialized. Please find the offending code and correct it.

Surely this is NOT from an unhandled exception, i.e. a failed test.
Posted by Rob D S on 9/20/2012 at 1:23 PM
I'm running VS2010 (Ultimate) with SP1, and have uploaded my current 'help about' output for VS. Perhaps VS2010 is now a dead release that VS2012 is out, but ...

I'm seeing the problem still. Can someone at Microsoft please verify the fix is in SP1, or not ?
On top of the fact I'm still seeing the problem, the parallelTestCount setting seems to be very sticky. I've removed it, changed it to "1", closed DevStudio (not just the solution), cleaned the solution, rebuild the solution, and none of this seems to allow me to run just one test at a time again.
Posted by Dave Black on 6/13/2012 at 12:00 PM
There is a nice post about how to workaround this problem here - http://www.bryancook.net/2011/11/fixing-parallel-test-execution-in.html

Note that I have not tried the Hotfix mentioned here by Darshan so I am not sure exactly what is contained in the Hotfix or if it actually does work.

HTH
Posted by Darshan Desai [MSFT] on 1/16/2012 at 10:15 PM
We have released a hotfix to fix this problem. Please apply this hotfix on your machine and try running tests with this attribute: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2619410

Thanks.

-Darshan Desai
Program Manager, Visual Studio team
Posted by ScoobyD00UK on 4/23/2011 at 2:45 AM
I'm running Visual Studio 2010 SP1.
Posted by ScoobyD00UK on 4/23/2011 at 2:44 AM
This is still not resolved (despite being marked as fixed).

5 tests run in parallel perfectly.

With 6 or more tests configured to run in parallel - all tests fail instantly saying "Aborted".

Why was this marked as fixed when it isn't?

I can reproduce on my 6 core processor (no hyperthreading involved).
Posted by B.Young on 3/2/2011 at 2:11 PM
I have a machine with 8 cores.

<Execution parallelTestCount="5">

5 tests run in parallel - everything works as expected.

<Execution parallelTestCount="5"> or
<Execution parallelTestCount="8"> or
<Execution parallelTestCount="0">

The test adapter 'UnitTestAdapter' threw an exception while running test 'X'. Thread was being aborted.
Posted by Von_Dingle on 11/2/2010 at 12:35 PM
We are experiencing this same issue. It is marked as resolved; how so? Is this to be fixed with SP1, when it comes out?
Posted by AnthonyMastrean on 8/24/2010 at 11:46 AM
The error I get is "Test run is aborting on '<machine-name>', number of hung tests exceeds maximum allowable '5'."
Posted by Microsoft on 8/19/2010 at 7:21 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/19/2010 at 2:39 AM