[Datadude] Certain DB unit test class names can throw errors when the class is created - by Jamie Thomson

Deferred<br /><br />
		The product team has reviewed this issue and has deferred it for consideration at a later time.<br /><br />

Opened 9/1/2010 2:22:10 AM

The DB unit testing Fx doesn't seem to cope well with unit test classes that have multiple dots in their name. I find myself wanting to do this quite often because I am creating a unit test class per stored procedure and I want my unit test class to be called

Unfortunately if I do this for more than one sproc in the same schema I get an error:
Posted by Barclay [MSFT] on 10/4/2010 at 8:52 AM

Thank you for submitting this issue. We have reproduced this issue and have added it to our product backlog. It will be considered for a service release of Visual Studio.

The issue is that we are generating the same class name twice. You can workaround the issue by going into the code and renaming the test class to something other than "test" or do not use a period/dot in the name of your database unit test name.

Barclay Hill

Sr. Program Manager | Visual Studio Product Team (Data Tools) | Microsoft Corporation
Posted by Jamie Thomson on 9/2/2010 at 3:58 AM
The video has now been uploaded. There is no link to it appearing on this connect item as yet - I assume it will show up soon!
Posted by Jamie Thomson on 9/2/2010 at 3:32 AM
I will attached a video after writing this comment.

You will see the error occurs if you follow the instructions I supplied earlier. Note also that I have discovered the root cause of the error - it is that the two classes that are created have the same name (i.e. anything prior to the first period in the specified name).
Let me stress (because from prior experience I know some of you MSFT folks don't read these things properly - sorry, but its true) I'm not asking that the error is fixed, I am asking that you handle it more gracefully e.g. By not letting the user specify a test name with more than 1 period in it.

The attached video is called 20100902ErroringCreateUnitTests2.wmv
Posted by Helen [MSFT] on 9/1/2010 at 8:19 PM
Thanks for reporting this issue. In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

Please give us a video of this issue so that we can conduct further research.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide us with that information as quickly as possible. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team