[Datadude] DateTime2 Data generator doesn't generate unique values when the column is part of a composite key - by Jamie Thomson

Deferred<br /><br />
		The product team has reviewed this issue and has deferred it for consideration at a later time.<br /><br />

Opened 9/3/2010 3:14:30 AM

I am trying to use the DataTime2 data generator to generate values for a column of type [Date]. The column is part of a composite primary key.
I need to the values in the column to be randomly generated but they are not - they are all exactly the same.

I have attached a repro.
The repro project also contains a screenshot (ScreenshotOfTheProblemOnMyMachine.JPG) that dmonstrates the problem that I am seeing
Posted by Barclay [MSFT] on 10/3/2010 at 9:31 PM

Thank you for submitting this issue. We have reproduced this issue and have added it to our product backlog. It will be considered for a service release of Visual Studio.

Barclay Hill
Sr. Program Manager | Visual Studio Product Team (Data Tools) | Microsoft Corporation
Posted by Microsoft on 9/5/2010 at 7:22 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Jamie Thomson on 9/4/2010 at 7:36 AM
Brilliant, thank you Jens. I had tried 01:00:00:00 and that didn't work, nice to know I wasn't too far off.
Posted by Jens K. Suessmeyer - on 9/4/2010 at 5:39 AM
Hi Jamie,

while debugging through the code I found the place to tweak the generator. You are using a step value of 00:59:00. He problem is the following while generating values

New Value = ToDate(Min Value + Step) evauliates to e.g.

01.01.2005 00:00:00 + 59 minutes = 01.01.2005 00:59:00 => THe date of that is 01.01.2005 and so on..

You will have to use the Step Value of 1.00:00:00 for getting subsequent dates. I guess this is simply a limitation of the GUI and should be check upon OnInputValidate()

Posted by Microsoft on 9/3/2010 at 5:01 PM
Posted by Jens K. Suessmeyer - on 9/3/2010 at 12:33 PM
Reproded the bug, this happens for "Date" typed column, it will stick on the initial value which is this.result = Min;