VS2010 crashes when trying to edit a macro - by EvilDr

Deferred<br /><br />
		The product team has reviewed this issue and has deferred it for consideration at a later time.<br /><br />

Opened 9/9/2010 5:59:07 AM

After creating a new module, when I double-click the file to edit it, I get the error:

'The operation could not be completed'

And the program does not open the macro editor.

Other times I get:

'Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application.'

or:

'Cannot load the recording macro project 'MyMacros; for the following reason: Server Execution Failed.  Would you like to recreate it?'

After recreating, I get the first error again.

I have now reinstalled the program and still get this error.
Posted by JottKaPeh on 5/6/2013 at 2:40 AM
Workaround by EvilDr works great - you can see the "Visual Studio Makro Tools" beeing installed in the Setup. Thx!
Posted by MXQBear on 6/20/2012 at 7:14 PM
I reproduced the bug & EvilDr's workaround fixed the issue. Thx!
Posted by Eric Ouellet on 12/8/2011 at 7:26 AM
The bug is still there is VS 2010 SP1. EvilDr workaround work like a charm. Where is the fix ????
Posted by grennis_ on 6/28/2011 at 6:33 AM
The workaround posted by EvilDr worked for me. Thank you!! I need my macros!!!
Posted by Matt Schuette on 3/30/2011 at 10:10 AM
Oh man, thanks for figuring out that workaround EvilDr! I'll add that the workaround failed the first time. I just tried it again and it succeeded. I also had to run Visual Studio as Administrator once and open the Macros IDE to get the project all set up. This was on a fresh install on a brand new dev box - never had VS2008 or anything. Seems like most of our 7 developers have the same issue.
Posted by Jim [MSFT] on 2/22/2011 at 3:46 PM
Hi EvilDr,

I'm glad you found a workaround, we've added this bug to our backlog.

Jim (MSFT)
Posted by Izzy [MSFT] on 10/5/2010 at 10:14 AM
Hi - thanks for posting the workaround! At this point, the Service Pack 1 for VS 2010 ship has unfortunately "sailed" (meaning that the bugs have already been triaged and development/bug fixing is under way), so I doubt that we'll be able to incorporate a fix for this into the SP1 release.

Let me see what more I can find out.

Thanks,
-- Izzy
Posted by EvilDr on 10/1/2010 at 3:59 AM
Hi

I found the cause of the problem, and the solution, and have posted this as a workaround.
Perhaps this is something that could be built into a service pack, etc?

Thanks!
Posted by EvilDr on 10/1/2010 at 12:50 AM
No joy I'm afraid.

Just for info, when I installed VS2010 I only selected the Visual Basic.NET and Web Developer components (not C#, F# etc). I am also on Win7 x64 Ultimate. I think this version of VS2010 might be 32-bit (I got it from the Microsoft Partner Network so imagine it will be).

Here's how I get the error:

1. Open Macro Explorer
2. Right click Macros in the Explorer, then select Macros IDE

Error:
     'Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application'

then

System tray warning:
     'Visual Studio is busy.
     Visual Studio is waiting for an internal operation to complete'

then

Error:
     'Cannot load the recording macro project 'MyMacros' for the following reason:
     Server execution failed
     Would you like to recreate it?'

I select Yes, but then VS2010 shuts down completely without warning. I did not see an option when installation to also include the macro editor in the options.
Posted by Izzy [MSFT] on 9/30/2010 at 1:24 PM
Hi EvilDr -

We have not been able to reproduce this particular issue in-house. Your bug description seems to imply that the editor does not automatically open when you add a new module to your macro project - is that the correct interpretation? As far as I'm aware, there isn't an option to turn off auto-opening of newly added modules, so if the text editor does not open the newly added module automatically, that could provide a hint as to what's going on.

Can you try the following: in the Macros IDE, go to Tools->Options, expand the Environment category (on the left of the dialog box), click on Fonts and Colors, and then click on the "Use Defaults" button? That should reset editor settings to defaults; if the problem is with an unusual text editor setting/option being set, then that should restore the defaults and at least will get you working. Let me know if that works.

Thanks,
-- Izzy

Izzy Gryko
Lead Software Design Engineer
Microsoft Visual Studio - Office Tools
izzyg@microsoft.com
Posted by Microsoft on 9/9/2010 at 7:55 PM
Thanks for your feedback. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/9/2010 at 5:01 PM