Extreme startup time - by dknls

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 1/2/2011 11:22:42 AM

Hi When i first installed vs2010 startup time (from click on icon to startup screen loaded was ~6 sec) now after i click the vs icon the startup page is loaded and is grayed out in ~ 5 minutes in the status bar the following text is showing: Loading toolbox content from packege 'Microsoft.Visualstudio.IDE.ToolboxControlsInstaller.ToolboxInstallerPackage' {2C298B35-07DA-45F1-96A3-BE55D91C8D7A} I think it has something to do with the install uninstall upgrade and so on of telerik and devexpress components. Applying vs 2010 sp1 beta has not fixed the problem.

I have the same problem on both my dev machines. clean vs 2010 is so nice and fast on install after a while with components installing the startup time is slow.

Wondering why vs2010 is loading toolbox at startup. and not after a project type is selected.
Posted by David Totzke on 8/16/2012 at 10:36 AM
@Microsoft: Deleting those registry keys as well as deleting the .tbd files did the trick. Just to add my voice to the issue, this started as a problem after installing SL5 and RIA Services 1.0 SP2. Thanks!
Posted by Alexander Vezenkov on 6/4/2012 at 1:25 AM
I've blogged the issue and provided a hot-fix file. It is reproducible with Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and SL 5 Tools installed.

Alex Vezenkov
Infragistics Inc.
Posted by flindeberg on 4/16/2012 at 2:24 AM
@Microsoft: That solved it (although you have to reset the toolbox in vs 2010 once again)! Absolutely fucking awesome! (at least from the perspective of my employer, since this means 30 minutes more coding per day and 30 minutes less reading web-comics whilst vs 2010 is loading (or well, is failing to load) frigging toolboxes).
Posted by Josh [MSFT] on 3/6/2012 at 1:34 PM
For all who are experiencing this issue, please try removing the "Toolbox" registry key from the following locations (if present):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries

(If running 64-bit Windows, insert "Wow6432Node" after "Software" in the registry paths.)
Posted by GEDP on 1/3/2012 at 11:50 PM
I had the same problem after installing SL5. The side effect was that some third-party components were duplicated in the toolbox each time VS was started.

I noticed that SL5 Tools for VS also installs RIA Services 1.0 SP2. As there were already some hints that RIA caused simimar problems in the past, I decided to uninstall that one. I also reset the VS toolbox and deleted the *.tbd files. The next start of VS took some time (rebuilding the tbd files) but since then, VS startup is smooth and I have no duplication of toolbox items anymore...

=> Uninstalling RIA Services 1.0 SP2 fixed my problem.
Posted by juFo on 12/20/2011 at 12:57 AM
I have also installed Silverlight 5, since then it causes some slow loading times...
Posted by Hassan Gulzar on 7/12/2011 at 7:17 AM
It seems I keep getting back to the question: Do you have Silverlight SDK or Silverlight Tools version 3 or 4 installed?
For me, the last thing I did before I started to encounter this issue was install Silverlight 5 Beta SDK. I have Silverlight 3, 4, and 5 installed. which version(s) am I to uninstall?
Posted by Josh [MSFT] on 4/18/2011 at 11:11 AM
Since I haven't recieved a response, I'm going to resolve this issue. Please feel free to reactivate it if it is still a problem for you.

-Josh Stevens
VS Shell team
Posted by Josh [MSFT] on 4/8/2011 at 2:32 PM
Sorry for the delayed response on this issue. Do you have Silverlight SDK or Silverlight Tools version 3 or 4 installed?

-Josh Stevens
VS Shell team
Posted by rknell85 on 3/15/2011 at 7:15 PM
Just a quick bit of input.

I have the same problem. I have Telerik controls installed for silverlight and asp.net ajax.

SP1 beta did not fix the problem for me either.
Posted by dknls on 1/14/2011 at 2:10 PM
Sorry I uploaded as reg files (didn't get any error message) but i just checked it's not in the allowed file type list for uploads, so i zipped and uploaded the files.
(filename ToolboxControlsInstaller.zip)
- Niels
Posted by Josh [MSFT] on 1/14/2011 at 12:02 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't see the files you uploaded. Maybe there was a glitch in the system somewhere. Could you please try uploading them again?

-Josh Stevens
VS Shell team
Posted by dknls on 1/12/2011 at 1:17 AM
Export of regkeys are now uploadet.
- Niels
Posted by Josh [MSFT] on 1/11/2011 at 2:58 PM
Thanks for the trace and the screenshot. The log confirms what I suspected but it doesn't reveal the root cause of the problem. Could you please export the contents of the "ToolboxControlsInstallerCache" and "ToolboxControlsInstaller_AssemblyFoldersExCache" registry keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0, before and after running VS? If you upload the resulting (four) files it should help me diagnose the issue.

-Josh Stevens
VS Shell team
Posted by dknls on 1/11/2011 at 12:06 AM
Added screenshot of toolbox, as you see items are added many times in the toolbox (it's the same components same build version etc)
Posted by dknls on 1/6/2011 at 11:48 PM
Hi i have uploaded the vslog file.
Hope it helps.
Posted by Josh [MSFT] on 1/6/2011 at 3:39 PM
Thank you for the trace file. It does appear that the extra time is spent adding new items to the toolbox, but that should only happen once after you installed the new items, not every time VS starts. Could you please run VS with the /log parameter (like "devenv.exe /log c:\vslog.xml") and upload the log file that is generated?

-Josh Stevens
VS Shell team
Posted by Microsoft on 1/6/2011 at 2:35 AM
Thanks for your feedback.
We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution. These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by dknls on 1/4/2011 at 5:51 AM
Hi I have uploadet a trace file.
Also I found another ticket on this subject:

Hope the trace file helps.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/3/2011 at 12:33 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with:

1. You can run a DXDIAG and send us the output? (Type DXDiag in Vista/Win Search Box, Click Save All Information, and then e-mail the resulting dxdiag.txt file: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/190900).

2. Gather some ETW traces around your scenario: In order to do this, please download the VS performance tool from: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/e8649e35-26b1-4e73-b427-c2886a0705f4 Please read the “Performance Diagnostics Tool – User Guide” document (a shortcut to it should appear on your desktop after install) on steps to generate a trace. Please note that when you uninstall the tool, the settings.ini file will not be removed as it contains your user settings. Also, unfortunately this tool does not work on XP. Once you collected traces, we have a secure site where you can upload your perf log files.
(Note: A complete trace file should be name as <number>.etl. And the clrrundown file is an intermediate file.)

Please name the zipped file Feedback-634314.zip.
You can upload the file to workspace:

Password: F^p#w)54n)*d)

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/2/2011 at 12:23 PM