Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Beta tries to open DB connections when opening project properties - by VSPain

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 1/18/2011 10:46:53 AM

I don't remember this happening in the released version, but maybe it does. If I have any DB connections in the Server Explorer, and I try to right click on a project in my solution to look at the properties, VS2010 tries to open a connection to ALL the DBs in the explorer.

This gets ridiculously annoying, as you can imagine, if any of the servers is not up.
Posted by VSPain on 2/5/2011 at 7:13 AM
Thanks for nothing. This is the most ridiculous resolution I've ever heard from you guys and that's saying a lot. "remote SQLEXPRESS is not supported" ??? really ? When your entire blogger army touts it as a great free database for small applications ?

Take your customers for granted every time and pretty soon you'll have none.
Posted by Xiang [MSFT] on 2/4/2011 at 4:40 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue. We are sorry we cannot repro it with local SQLEXPRESS, or remote full versions of SQL Server (remote SQLEXPRESS is not supported).
Posted by opmh9101 on 2/2/2011 at 10:07 AM
Having the same issue in VS2010 and sometimes completely hangs.
Posted by VSPain on 1/28/2011 at 11:40 AM
I've uploaded a filename usermode.zip.
Please note that this is created with 32-bit windbg on 64-bit Windows 7. I used ".dump /ma usermode.dmp" when attached to the hung process.

I was able to get a decent call stack when I loaded this dump in VS2010 or windbg.

hope that helps.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/28/2011 at 2:43 AM
Hi VSPain,

Thank you for uploading the dump. But we found that it seems to be invalid. Could you please collect a valid dump?
Posted by VSPain on 1/27/2011 at 11:13 AM
I spoke too soon. after waiting for an hour (since shutting down the DB), I was able to get devstudio to hang. The dump has been uploaded with name FeedbackID-636679.dmp.gz
Posted by VSPain on 1/27/2011 at 9:16 AM
I had to remove sp1 beta for an ASP.NET MVC incompatibility and the problem does not seem to recur on the released bits of devstudio.
If you can keep this issue open, I'll attach a dump once I put SP1 back on.
thanks.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/27/2011 at 12:29 AM
Thank you for uploading the video.
Could you please provide us with a mini dump file? You can get detailed steps about how to get the dump file at :

You can upload it to the same workspace.
Please use "FeedbackID-636679" as the file name.

Thanks!
Posted by VSPain on 1/25/2011 at 8:19 PM
ok, my mistake. I managed to upload it now
Posted by Microsoft on 1/25/2011 at 8:04 PM
Hi VSPain,

We have just tested the workspace, it is not expired. Could you please try it again?
Posted by VSPain on 1/24/2011 at 10:01 AM
the workspace has expired :(
Posted by Microsoft on 1/23/2011 at 11:15 PM
Hello VSPain,

You can upload your video to the following workspace:
Password:5CB#pUvd2K2Nf46

Thanks!
Posted by VSPain on 1/19/2011 at 10:31 AM
I have a video of the scenario, but it contains proprietary information about our codebase and product that I cannot post in a public forum. Please send me a email address or another method of upload with confidentiality guarantees.
Posted by VSPain on 1/19/2011 at 10:08 AM
I'll try to upload a video when I get a chance. But here's a step by step:

1. In VS2010, Views->Other Windows, select "Server Explorer"
2. In this window, add connections to a couple of database servers, making sure they're actually up and the connections work.
3. bring down the database servers (easier if they're SQLEXPRESS instances, I suppose :-)
4. Load a solution (my solution had several projects that needed DB connections, but I don't think it matters)
5. Right click on any project in the solution, and select "Properties" You'll see the database login dialog popup and freeze the GUI. Since the server is down it takes 2-3 minutes before the login fails and you can see the properties page.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/18/2011 at 7:30 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue.
Could you please attach a video to help us better understand this scenario?
Posted by Microsoft on 1/18/2011 at 10:59 AM