Align Objects on Form 2010 by CHS Life

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Opened: 3/10/2011 9:11:25 AM

It is very difficult to grab objects (text boxes) and align these objects in visual studio 2010. I tried using control and shift with a mouse click to grab objects but this does not work.

The align objects process works great in visual studio 2005.

Can you help me with this process in visual studio 2010?

Posted by CHS Life on 4/8/2011 at 1:15 PM
Thanks Jorge, I will try your suggestions.

I saved your email address!

Have a nice weekend.

Thanks,
Rich
Posted by Microsoft on 4/7/2011 at 5:41 PM
Hi CHS,

When you are trying to do that, are the inputs positioned as absolute or not? I can't tell from the screenshots that you sent. If you are not, then the alignment tools won't work.

Setting the position:absolute on those elements should enable the alignment tools. If you want to have an experience similar to VS2005 where all the controls where positioned like this, you can turn on the option in Tools->Options->HTML Designer->CSS Styling->Change absolute positioning.

If you need more assistance, feel free to send me an email at jorge.gabuardi@microsoft.com.

Thanks!
Jorge
Posted by Microsoft on 3/29/2011 at 9:49 PM
Thanks again for your feedback. We are routing this issue to the appropriate group within the Visual Studio Product Team for triage and resolution.These specialized experts will follow-up with your issue.
Posted by CHS Life on 3/29/2011 at 7:57 AM
I attached a PDF file for VS2010, the attachment displays two text fields selected but the format>align menu still remains grayed. The second image displays the same screen but as you can see the Format>Make Same Size menu enables correctly.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/27/2011 at 10:46 PM
Could you please attach some screenshots or a video to help us better understand this scenario?
Posted by CHS Life on 3/27/2011 at 5:47 PM
I am still unable to align objects. I tried resetting environment settings to General Development Settings, C# Development Settings, and Web Development settings. Nether of these setting categories allows me to grab multiple objects an align them as I did in visual studio 2005. I like a lot of the new features in 2010 but we need to figure out how to align objects in 2010. Please advise?
Posted by Microsoft on 3/25/2011 at 12:38 AM
Hi CHS,

Could you please reset your environment settings by clicking Tools-> Import and Export setting... -> Reset all settings?

After that, please try it again and let us know your test result.

Thanks!
Posted by CHS Life on 3/17/2011 at 7:30 AM
In visual studio 2010, i am having trouble selecting multiple objects to align. I am only able to grab two objects, which is difficult to do, but the align options menu does NOT ENABLE to allow me to align the objects.

It's possible how you do this operation has changed, however, in Visual Studio 2005 you can do this easily by holding down the ctrl and shift key while clicking multiple objects, the align menu enables in this version.

I really need to be able to align objects on a page. Help!

I have installed service pack 1.

Posted by Microsoft on 3/15/2011 at 12:06 AM
Hello again. We wanted to drop you a quick note given it's been 3 days since we requested some additional information. As we approach our release date, we have a limited window to reproduce and submit issues to the product team. To help expedite investigation of your issue, please provide the information requested earlier ASAP. If we do not hear back from you within 7 days, we will close this issue.

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/10/2011 at 10:24 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue.
Could you please attach a demo project so that we can further investigate this issue?
Posted by Microsoft on 3/10/2011 at 9:14 AM