Can not install MVC 3 - by wilhil

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 3/10/2011 3:23:47 PM

Hi

For the past two days, I have been trying to install MVC 3 without any luck.

(I have blogged about the problem here - http://blog.williamhilsum.com/2011/03/error-0x80070643-installing-aspnet-mvc.html )

Basically, after a lot of log reading and redoing the install, I managed to track it down to the "Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages" component.

Every time that I try to remove the product I get the following:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

and checking the event log shows:

"Product: Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action WebConfigCA_Remove, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Pages\v1.0\WebConfig\WebConfigCA.exe, command: -u "

Application: WebConfigCA.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentException
Stack:
   at System.Web.Configuration.VirtualDirectoryMapping..ctor(System.Web.VirtualPath, System.String, Boolean, System.String)
   at System.Web.Configuration.VirtualDirectoryMapping..ctor(System.String, Boolean)
   at WebConfigCA.Program.GetWebConfig(System.String)
   at WebConfigCA.Program.AddAssemblyReferences(System.String, System.String[])
   at WebConfigCA.Program.Main(System.String[])

I get the above two errors no matter what I try:

Installing MVC 3
Installing "C:\temp\ext47334\aspnetwebpages.msi" (MVC 3 temp directory)
Installing MVC 3 from Web PI (However, it reports success, but looking at logs shows this)
Installing Web Matrix from Web PI (Shows failing on this component).

The only things Dev Related I have done on my machine (which I think are related, in date order are):

Installed VS 2010
Installed Phone Tools
Installed Web Matrix Beta
Installed Windows 7 SP 1
Installed VS 2010 SP 1
Attempted Install of MVC 3 (Failed)
.... Tried many attempts to install which failed (see above for methods)
Uninstalled Web Matrix Beta
.... Tried many attempts to install which failed (see above for methods)
Uninstalled VS 2010 SP 1
.... Tried many attempts to install which failed (see above for methods)
Did a repair installation of VS 2010
.... Tried many attempts to install which failed (see above for methods)

I really do not want to reinstall Windows, but am fearing I may have to. Any ideas?
Posted by Manee kantha on 6/11/2012 at 5:07 AM
Guys dont hear these blah blah blah blah from these Micrsoft support team. Its worst at its best.

Just go to
"http://tedgustaf.com/en/blog/2011/4/installing-asp-net-mvc3-on-visual-studio-2010-sp1/"
and follow the instructions. It will solve ur problem. Read comments given by user in that site. It will be helpful .
Posted by Eilon [MSFT] on 4/11/2011 at 2:36 PM
Hi,

We've documented all the most common known installation failure causes on the Microsoft Support site.

Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2531566 to look up failure causes as well as fixes. If you have followed the documented workaround steps and are still seeing installation failures please log new bugs on those issues.

The underlying causes of the failures are already being addressed for future versions.

Thanks,
The ASP.NET Team
Posted by David A Penny on 3/30/2011 at 5:31 PM
I have the exact same issue with KB2483190 not installing.
Anu update?
Posted by SMHMayboudi on 3/27/2011 at 3:50 PM
I have a same problem, I sent my event log with collector tools, in addition, I uploaded here http://hotfile.com/dl/112126642/0426fc9/KB2483190-ERROR.ZIP.html.

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Enterprise Edition Service Pack 1
CommandLine = c:\d9d225c71b68e001ec6c\Setup.exe /q /norestart
TimeZone = Iran Daylight Time
Initial LCID = 1033
Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
Operation: Installing
Package Name = KB2483190
Package Version = 10.0.30319
User Experience Data Collection Policy: UserControlled
Number of applicable items: 1
Patch (c:\d9d225c71b68e001ec6c\VS10-KB2483190.msp) Install failed on product (Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate - ENU). Msi Log:
Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:10).

Hope you can handle this problem as always.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/15/2011 at 12:20 AM
Thank you for attaching the setup log. Your issue has been routed to the appropriate VS development team for review. We will contact you if we require any additional information.
Posted by wilhil on 3/10/2011 at 7:51 PM
FYI - If you think of a solution but are worried about breaking something - I don't mind.

I need this for a project which I wanted to start yesterday. If I can't get it working very soon (probably tomorrow night), I will reinstall Windows 7 from scratch. Everything is backed up and there isn't anything that can't be copied back - so feel free to be creative with solutions/ideas!
Posted by wilhil on 3/10/2011 at 7:20 PM
I have submitted the log file.

Please find a solution :) - All the blog posts have really got me going and I really want to start C# MVC 3 Razor ASAP!!
Posted by wilhil on 3/10/2011 at 6:51 PM
I just ran it again and all that is created is a text file called MSIe525d.log

Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action WebConfigCA_Remove, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET Web Pages\v1.0\WebConfig\WebConfigCA.exe, command: -u
=== Logging stopped: 11/03/2011 02:49:50 ===

I am running the collect tool at the same time - if it contains more information you need, let me know and I will upload when complete.
Posted by wilhil on 3/10/2011 at 6:40 PM
Will proceed to do this now. In addition, I have been trying solidly to work on this for the past few hours.

I do not remember installing this in the first place, but I am guessing it was via the beta of Web Matrix. I found the original installer (3262ECA99E6E855B74655B228F2DCD4FF7FFEAD9/AspNetWebPages.msi - CRC 795AC13A) in the Web Platform Installer's cache, however I found something very interesting...

The installer seems to be corrupt, but in a weird way. It just stays on the first page, not frozen, but the next button will not work... I can exit via the cancel button.

I have tried many other things but can't get it to work.

I will now attempt to run the new AspNetWebPages.msi file from the MVC 3 setup and then I will do the collect tool.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/10/2011 at 6:26 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
Could you please upload a setup log file to help us investigate the issue?
You can get the log files with the following steps:
1) Download collect.exe from the link below. http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkId=8967043
2) You may choose to save the tool for later use, or to run directly.
3) The utility creates a compressed cabinet of all the VS and .NET logs to %TEMP%\vslogs.cab.

You can get more details about how to get the log files here:

Thanks!