C++ CLI property overriding and renaming - by Richard78

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 3/14/2011 2:04:17 AM

Hello,

I'm using Visual Studio 2010 and .NET4.0.

I have the following classes defined in a dll (simplification of my real code):

namespace test {

}
 };

//OK
 public ref class B : public A

};

}

The code compiles. But if I define a new class deriving from A in another dll or exe

ref class C : public test::A

};

I get some compilation warnings and errors which do not make any senses to me:

* error C3766: 'C' must provide an implementation for the interface method 'bool test::I::IsOk::get(void)' see declaration of 'test::I::IsOk::get'

* warning C4570: 'C' : is not explicitly declared as abstract but has abstract functions 'bool test::I::IsOk::get(void)' : is abstract see declaration of 'test::I::IsOk::get'

* error C2259: 'C' : cannot instantiate abstract class due to following members: 'bool test::I::IsOk::get(void)' : is abstract deleteme3.cpp(36) : see declaration of 'test::I::IsOk::get'

There are no differences between the classes 'B' and 'C'.

If now I define the same class 'C' in a C# project, I have no compilation error or warnings.

I have checked the IL for the class A:

.method private hidebysig newslot specialname virtual final
    instance bool
    marshal( unsigned int8)
    get_IsFine() cil managed
 .override test.I::get_IsOk
 // Code size    4 (0x4)
 .maxstack 1
 .locals ([0] bool V_0)
 IL_0000: ldc.i4.0
 IL_0001: stloc.0
 IL_0002: ldloc.0
 IL_0003: ret
} // end of method A::get_IsFine

I can see the override information. I wonder if the compiler simply ignore this information when it reads my reference, or do I miss something in my code?

Regards,

Richard
Posted by Microsoft on 4/18/2011 at 8:57 AM
Hi Richard:
    A fix for this issue has been checked into the compiler sources. The fix should show up in the next release of Visual C++.

Xiang Fan
Visual C++ Team
Posted by Microsoft on 3/21/2011 at 6:56 PM
Hello Richard,

Thank you for reporting this bug. This indeed is a bug in our compiler where we're failing to look at .override directive for explicit named overrides in abstract classes. So, you're right in your diagnosis. We'll consider fixing this in a future release. In the meantime, please accept these workarounds.

1) If class A doesn't have to be abstract, then please make non-abstract. Bug goes away.
2) If named override is needed (like you have another IsOk function that needed to be declared in A), then here's a trickery you can use to fool the compiler into looking at .override directives.
namespace test {

public interface class I
        property bool IsOk
            bool get();
        }
    };
#pragma warning (disable:4483)
    public ref class A abstract : I
    public:
        virtual property bool __identifier("I.IsOk")
            bool get() sealed = I::IsOk::get
                return false;
            }
        }
    };

}

Thanks,
Ulzii Luvsanbat
Windows C++ Team
Posted by Microsoft on 3/17/2011 at 12:47 AM
Thanks for your feedback.

Posted by Microsoft on 3/14/2011 at 2:13 AM
Posted by Microsoft on 3/14/2011 at 2:12 AM
Thank you for submitting feedback on Visual Studio 2010 and .NET Framework. In order to efficiently investigate and reproduce this issue, we are requesting additional information outlined below.

Could you please give us a demo project to demonstrate this issue so that we can conduct further research?

Please submit this information to us within 4 business days. We look forward to hearing from you with this information.

Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team